ArtemisMeraki

How to Begin RP in SL?

Hi there,

I'm hoping to establish a role play scene within a Star Wars, Mandalorian group that I hang out with. I'm completely new to the RP community and I'm wondering where to begin in terms of starting role play scenarios. We're a fairly new group called, Ne'tra Gaan that's been around for about a year now, and at the moment, we participate in FPS combat against similar groups -- I'm hoping to add RP to our list of activities! 

If you're looking for a pleasant group of people to hang out with, we're open to anyone wanting to have some good fun and be apart of our growing community of Star Wars fans, content creators, gamers, and socialites!

You can check us out here: Ne'tra Gaan, Shaktar

*Region is damage enabled, do be careful when looking around. The spawn area is safe.

Edited by ArtemisMeraki
disclaimer

45 minutes ago, ArtemisMeraki said:

We're a fairly new group called, xxxxxxxx that's been around for about a year now, and at the moment, we participate in FPS combat against similar groups -- I'm hoping to add RP to our list of activities! 

If you're looking for a pleasant group of people to hang out with, we're open to anyone wanting to have some good fun and be apart of our growing community of Star Wars fans, content creators, gamers, and socialites!

You can check us out here: xxxxx

did you read the sticky? 
Your title suggests something to discuss, but your post is advertising

On 8/29/2018 at 5:07 PM, Dakota Linden said:

Greetings all!

Just a friendly reminder that the Role Play forum is for discussions regarding your experiences in Second Life with regards to Role Playing. 

This including ANY type of Role Play, but your posts and discussions MUST comply with the Community Guidelines

No Naming & Shaming

No Advertising your Role Play locations

No Adult Content

Personal ads are currently not being moderated, but this could change at any time, as they are, technically, off topic.  If you are looking for specific types of role playing in Second Life, I would strongly encourage everyone to turn your post into a discussion about what you are looking for, instead of just posting that you are looking. 

Cheers~

Edited by Ethan Paslong

28 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

did you read the sticky? 
Your title suggests something to discuss, but your post is advertising

Well, technically there is a question in the post ...

1 hour ago, ArtemisMeraki said:

I'm completely new to the RP community and I'm wondering where to begin in terms of starting role play scenarios.

A role play scenario, if we're to be picky with the terminology, is just a scene. If you just want to do scenes, you don't need much at all - it's like a drama class. You need a location, you need participants (well, you 'could' do it yourself - but where's the fun in that?), and you need a ...

Bildresultat för spark gif

... Spark. 

A piece of plot, a situation, or something to which the participants can act. This can be anything from 'Ugh, they're serving <insert meh food here> at the mess today' to 'The Russians are coming!'. It can be either DM'ed ('dungeon mastered' - led by one, or more, person/people who guides the scene), or it can be completely free play. Personally I prefer there at least being a PO ('post order' = person A gets to do a line, then person B, then person C, then person D, then back to person A - especially in text-based RP this helps avoid messes and people writing paragraphs that they then have to edit because someone else wrote at the same time and hit enter a second before you and changed the situation slightly). 

Role play isn't strictly one thing though, some people prefer the story-telling and the dynamics of the characters involved - others want to bring in dice rolls or skill checks to be determined by the DM like 'most' pen and paper role playing games work. It's up to you, or rather your community, to decide what the purpose of the role play is. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Well, technically there is a question in the post ...

4 hours ago, ArtemisMeraki said:

You can check us out here: xxxx

if this isn't advertising i'll eat my cooked shoe tonight.

8 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

What brand of shoe?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

That doesn't invalidate the question before that part, though. But, you're correct - the OP does mention that they're welcoming of anyone who's up for some good fun and provided a location as a means to find out more about them. I suppose you'd best report the post before anyone is severely injured or traumatised by this reckless breach of <inhales> ... The Rules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ArtemisMeraki said:

I'm completely new to the RP community and I'm wondering where to begin in terms of starting role play scenarios. We're a fairly new group [..] that's been around for about a year now, and at the moment, we participate in FPS combat against similar groups -- I'm hoping to add RP to our list of activities! 

A year in SL does not make your group 'fairly new'.  All this time and you've only just now begun to think about RP?  Is this the reason you're advertising?

Apologies for inviting others to check the group out, I had no ill intention at all. I'm really just hoping to bring people together and make some new friendships, hence my first line, of asking how to do RP in SL. Timeline aside, I feel as though we're relatively new, as activity is sporadic most days, with only a handful of regulars. I'm just hoping to learn more about RP in general so I can help implement it, as an activity, in this still developing group. Lastly, thank you for those taking the time to explain role play in SL, all I really know is that, I've seen people using something called meters and floating text tags... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ArtemisMeraki said:

... I've seen people using something called meters and floating text tags... 

Personally I'd go as far as to say that playing with meters and combat systems is outright immersion breaking. It's entirely unnecessary, and turns your role play into a text based combat simulator. If you want to include combat in your role play there are a variety of ways of doing so - meters and scripted weapons may well be the worst means of doing so.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Orwar said:

If you want to include combat in your role play there are a variety of ways of doing so - meters and scripted weapons may well be the worst means of doing so.

/me tries to upvote this more than twice, but sadly runs out of thumbs...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ArtemisMeraki said:

Hi there,

I'm hoping to establish a role play scene within a Star Wars, Mandalorian group that I hang out with. I'm completely new to the RP community and I'm wondering where to begin in terms of starting role play scenarios. We're a fairly new group called, Ne'tra Gaan that's been around for about a year now, and at the moment, we participate in FPS combat against similar groups -- I'm hoping to add RP to our list of activities! 

You can check us out here: 

Tping over to check it out 

In about half a year the annual SL SciFi Expo will be held. S lot of groups preset themselves there. I know it's a long time till then but go there and get some input from other RP groups.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Tping over to check it out 

Well that didn't go well, someone walked up and killed me in the landing zone, I didn't see any rp either.

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Personally I'd go as far as to say that playing with meters and combat systems is outright immersion breaking. It's entirely unnecessary, and turns your role play into a text based combat simulator. If you want to include combat in your role play there are a variety of ways of doing so - meters and scripted weapons may well be the worst means of doing so.

Its life enabled, if i knew they were gonna kill me, I'd have just killed them first

11 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

Would you like that rare, medium rare, medium or well done?

To the OP, you need to subdivide that sim so that the landing zone is NOT life enabled. That way people can tp in, read the rules, cam around and decide if they want to stay and engage. Killing people as soon as they land is NOT the way to get many repeat visitors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1