What makes you block someone?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone. 

I would consider myself rather passive when it comes to being annoyed by anyone inWorld, as I just tend to ignore them. It is VERY rare that anyone actually makes it onto my block list. I am curious about everyone else..

1. How liberal are you with the block/mute feature?

2. What sort of offending action does someone have to do to make it onto your list?

• Like 2

• Griefing my sim.
  • Repeated inquiries for Real Life information, after having been informed that I don't discuss RL.
  • Begging for $L
  • Calling me filthy, obscene things, or making threats.  Usually happens after having been ejected for other offensive behavior.
  • Griefing at Social Island or other newbie areas, especially with particles or sound.  Blocking these people is merely self-defense, so I can see and hear what else is going on.
  • Stalking.
  • Like 3

For reasons I don't remember at the moment, I checked my block list a month or so ago: it contained three noisy objects. I actually don't know that I've ever blocked a person.

Must be because I'm so nice that no one has ever felt the need to insult or harass me.

Right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

When they’re just a pest. Hardly anything offends me—and I can give as good as I get, if not better—, but if it becomes just boring repetition, I slam the door on their face (bless block auto-response).

That’s for IMs, of course. For public things I’m much more likely to mute specific sounds than whole avatars, unless they’re well into griefing levels.

I used to have a high tolerance for what people did around me so I hardly ever used my block on anyone..I used to be around places that had lots of drama,so that kind of made it much easier to let it in one ear and out the other..

Now I'm much more relaxed and come to SL to relax more than anything..

Nowadays,if something is messing with my chi,I swat it like a mosquito. hehehehe

I think I still have a pretty high tolerance for things..As long as they don't try to involve or drag me in it..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

Spam notices when I can't find another way to make them stop.

But there was one special soul I did block briefly.

Years ago, I was helping a noob get himself orientated and he got the idea in his head that I was helping him as a prelude to sex. I said no, it was clear from the groups in his profile that our interests were quite different but I was happy to help him get his av set up. (He didn't have money inworld yet and I knew of some good places with free stuff for men after tagging along with friends.)

He demanded to know how I knew what his interests were so I pointed out the list of groups of his profile. Aside from a couple of freebie places, they were all sex groups and some the names gave a pretty good indication of what they were about :SwingingFriends:

I explained briefly that profiles were a way of presenting yourself to the rest of SL and what you chose to put in it should reflect how you wanted to be perceived. I told him how to hide groups and mentioned that as it stood, his profile gave the impression he was in SL primarily for sex. He was three days old and already found 20 or so. Oh, and his name was a give away too. My main suggestion though was that he find other groups to join to show interest in things other than sex.

He refused to do that but was adamant he wasn't just in SL for sex and outraged anyone might possibly think so. I mean truly outraged. He did hide the more extreme groups, leaving some generic pick-up groups. When I mentioned that if I came across a profile like his, I'd guess there were several hidden groups. How dare I suggest that!?!?! Well, it is exactly what you did. :)

Cue a tirade of abuse which I finally blocked. I could see the .... is typing message in the chat window continue and stop and start and stop and start and go on and on and on, which changed my response from stressed to bemused. A couple of days later I unblocked him but never heard from him again.

That's my one story of blocking a person :)

Edited by Bitsy Buccaneer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MirandaBowers said:

Hello everyone. 

I would consider myself rather passive when it comes to being annoyed by anyone inWorld, as I just tend to ignore them. It is VERY rare that anyone actually makes it onto my block list. I am curious about everyone else..

1. How liberal are you with the block/mute feature?

2. What sort of offending action does someone have to do to make it onto your list?

Read the "Muted?" section in my profile's Picks tab. It explains the criteria for my muting people. Some might even get a laugh out of it unless they're uptight.

I've only blocked somebody once. I was doing a run in the Linden Realms and somebody who were more itnerested in ruining other people's game than raking up a decent score themselves kept distracting me with vampire bite requests.

• Like 2

I generally don't, but when I do, it's almost always someone who's sexually propositioned me, usually by demanding something I simply will not do, and who just will not take no for an answer.

I'm far more liberal with the use of the 'notes' feature. You know, that only you can see. I have my own shorthand for it. One of my most used abbreviations is NFG, or "normal for Gor".

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

The only people on my block list are people who add me to their unsolicited spam mail and the object they send it from.

That's about 95% of my block list.

The other 5% are generally spammers on groups and inconvenient people like unwanted visitors in my home, those who use lots of gestures and people who insist in any situation that I already said No.

Edited by DemeraraGirl
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.