Help Message to Integer

Exylos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, steph Arnott said:

So it is just basically an add and subtract count script.

Pretty much yeah, its an exp counter like you would find in an rpg, but basically yes it is. But i cant get the listner to accept the first amount from the note card as the first number. to add and subtract from.

The rest of the script works, but because its a simple llSay(0, "expddten");  and the script then Adds 10 points to whatever the last count was. But for that first notecard amount i am sending a string to channel because it could be a random number between 0 and 5250,  and accept for the way above. Which is the first time i ever tried that. I don't know anyway to tag a message post with a command and String of numbers, if that makes sense since i am brain fried..lol..

1 minute ago, Exylos said:

Pretty much yeah, its an exp counter like you would find in an rpg, but basically yes it is. But i cant get the listner to accept the first amount from the note card as the first number. to add and subtract from.

Why is a notecard used? Hard code the values in a list. Each level advances the variable.

The note card is used because, it the player has to be able to save certain details, at the end of each of the sessions, so they progress is not lost by accident, and some parts rely on other parts from that CT sheet notecard to do their job. for instance, If you choose race whatever lest say human, in the Character creation aid tool i am building, you will be allowed a different number of points to put into your stats, than if someone chose dragonette, Because of that the First exp points that you start with will be slightly different. Same with Health points. If i hard code the info in the script  then the player can't change that info, nor can they save that info for later use... Lets say you go and play the game i am working on, and kill two dragons for 1000 exp each. You cant save it, its saved only in the hard coding of the script, then something goes wrong and you have to reset the huds scripts, you just lost that exp. This way if you saved it in the notecard, when you reset the script the HUD starts from the last save point.

7 minutes ago, Exylos said:

... I have decided to try and go a different route with it anyway

Yeah, if this happens to be something that's used only on land controlled by a specific group, it seems a perfect fit for Experience Persistent Store, also known as "Key-Value Pair" memory. That's a somewhat different programming challenge, but it's not scary complicated or anything. (That's also not the only way to approach the problem, but it has some advantages so it's worth considering.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah, if this happens to be something that's used only on land controlled by a specific group, it seems a perfect fit for Experience Persistent Store, also known as "Key-Value Pair" memory. That's a somewhat different programming challenge, but it's not scary complicated or anything. (That's also not the only way to approach the problem, but it has some advantages so it's worth considering.)

That is part of what I ended up doing. I had intended to make the Notecard control script and the Message Control script two different scripts for the purpose of ease, With them as two scripts it would be easier to add in commands for other Scripts and other parts when i get to them with out fear of putting in  the wrong script and messing it all up. But i decided to hell with it, put the Message script and the Notecard control in the same script and now it works fine. If you take the and just rez it out it doesn't change or lose the exp setting, and now it adds that amount to the display print out easily, and you can just add it back to worn and it will hold the exp that was last on it, the issue only comes in when you fully reset the scripts, and anyone who knows anything about people will no even if you put a big disclaimer on it that says, never reset your scripts or you will lose all EXP, someone is gonna do it anyway. Thats why I want the Notecard so they can save the info in it and even if they do lose some exp it wont be all of it.

But anyway its working fine now thank you all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.