WinTrain

Is SL's Player Base Declining?

SL has changed a lot.  We chat here instead of at Ahern.  I mostly build in Blender rather than inworld. Friends I've had have either gone full-party-animal or creative-recluse.  

I think over time, Linden Labs will back-port Sansar improvements into SL, when the VR craze levels out.  

2 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

I think over time, Linden Labs will back-port Sansar improvements into SL, when the VR craze levels out.  

To do so would dilute the product edge Sansar offers over SL.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoffeeDujour said:

To do so would dilute the product edge Sansar offers over SL.

Perhaps.  However, Sansar appeared when the Stock Market was frothy for VR.  Occulus Rift sold for US$2 Billion.  Sansar might have done the same, but now the opportunity is past, and we'll see how it plays out.  

1 minute ago, Erwin Solo said:

Perhaps.  However, Sansar appeared when the Stock Market was frothy for VR.  Occulus Rift sold for US$2 Billion.  Sansar might have done the same, but now the opportunity is past, and we'll see how it plays out.  

LL said years ago they wouldn't be moving Sansar features to SL. Sansar is virtual worlds; SL is a virtual world. After that, the code is too different and the architectures are way too different.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parhelion Palou said:

LL said years ago they wouldn't be moving Sansar features to SL. Sansar is virtual worlds; SL is a virtual world. After that, the code is too different and the architectures are way too different.

So they did.  

11 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

Wouldn't make sense to be honest.  They are better off converting Sansar's VR UI to a desktop friendly UI.  Sansar has a lot of UI problems for desktop users and making text-chat easier would be a huge improvement for communication.  SL already does this pretty well.

If anything, LL would be better off selling Sansar and create an SL 2.0.  I'm pretty sure the SL community would've been more excited for the latter since 99% of them didn't own a VR headset when Sansar was announced.

5 minutes ago, Nextio said:

Wouldn't make sense to be honest.  ....

Well, for example, this post of mine:

SANSAR has really good support for importing Maya files, or so I read.  I've not done it.  I used Maya for about a year for SL, but had to pass everything through Blender first to then use Avastar to make a good clean DAE file for import to SL.  I think the support for Maya that SANSAR enjoys could be back ported to SL.  Of course, now the maker of Avastar has a product called MayaStar.  Maybe that does the job.  I'm just much better trained-up in Blender now that I haven't tried it. 

Its things like the Maya/FBX support of SANSAR that I'd like to see in SL, and I would not be surprised to see them arrive at some point.  All those Moles making the new Linden Houses are using something; I wonder what?

Anyway, here was the Linden Lab answer, which was essentially, 'post your problem in JIRA.'  Well, it's not something to be fixed.  I have JIRA entrees on a couple of LSL bugs, and know that process.  I think the answer kind of missed the mark, but famous avatars fell all over themselves 'liking' it anyway. 

Posted (edited)

Woops. I mis-read the title and thought it said Is SL's Bass Player Declining. That would have been a new and interesting question...

But since I'm here anyway: no, the SL user base is not declining at the moment. The numbers have actually increased slightly recently.

Edited by ChinRey