Animate light texture - ADVANCED LIGHTING

ainst Composer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Unfortunately, no. There are several open/accepted feature requests for this however, so it is on the list of things to do.

One option I found, that counts technically as a hacky way to do it, is to have multiple prims with different projector textures but with the same parameters, then cycle through them turning PRIM_POINT_LIGHT of for one and on for the next.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ainst Composer said:

Not flickering or intensity stuff...

Right, so this probably has no value to your application, but you can send a beam of projected light through an animated texture that will cast moving shadows as the texture passes across the beam, something I use often for viewer-side-only flickering lights, candles, etc. But it won't show the colors of that animated texture which is what I suspect you had in mind.

• Thanks 2

I seem to have been trying to answer this question in the build section. As mentioned above, nothing in the right-hand section of the features tab for lighting is available as a prim parameter. I'm guessing that because the effects are not shown on the prim but on whatever faces the projected light strikes it falls outside of the range of things on/in a prim you can script?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ainst Composer said:

Hi! Is it possible to animate light texture option (next to light color window) in the features tab (advanced lighting) with SCRIPT and how?

Not flickering or intensity stuff, I want to use animated "gif" texture.

No, is the answer. Even if you could very few would see it because it is client side. Depending on the clients comp specs 99% would see nothing.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Right, so this probably has no value to your application, but you can send a beam of projected light through an animated texture that will cast moving shadows as the texture passes across the beam, something I use often for viewer-side-only flickering lights, candles, etc. But it won't show the colors of that animated texture which is what I suspect you had in mind.

wow, nice idea!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.