Do You Miss Anything Purged from the MP?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, Gadget Portal said:

No. 

We need more purges, more often. MP and In World.

Products being available that no longer work and aren't supported make the whole platform look like a scam site and encourage bad behavior. 

That is not necessarily what got purged... the purged items can have been totally unscripted. But I admit a "reportthis product broken" button would not hurt... especially if the creator's only response is "turn of script warnings" The hell I do - when it gives script warnings the creator messed up.

Edited by Fionalein

1 hour ago, Gadget Portal said:

No. 

We need more purges, more often. MP and In World.

Products being available that no longer work and aren't supported make the whole platform look like a scam site and encourage bad behavior. 

As if purging did help with that too much. In some cases it might, but as far as I know item will be delisted from MP if a person didn't log for 5 years or item weren't sold even once for 2 years. So basically it does absolutely nothing as long as someone logs once every few years (to cashout a few $ perhaps or just to check what's new in SL).

Besides whole "support" thing is completely voluntary to begin with. There's nothing in LL's ToS regarding mandatory support for anything, be it items or services. So new items have roughly same chance to be broken and unusable as the old ones and (unless it's obvious scam, like selling basic prim instead of what is advertised on the MP page) LL won't get involved even if you'll fill the report.

---

I'm using those winter months where lots of new releases don't interest me too much (way too many seasonal items/clothing for my tastes) to get some old items that I might miss if they are gone. Sometimes I see something I like rezzed (or worn) in world and check creator's profile and see that they are not around already, links to in-world stores are broken and a few cases when I decided to check their last login date through mutual groups it did show that they are offline for a year or more. Can't say it would be an absolute tragedy to miss some of their creations, but sometimes they are quite unique and well made items with custom animations that can't be found anywhere else.

So I personally think it was completely unnecessary to purge anything. Instead LL could add a couple if "scary" warnings to MP listing and checkout pages. Like "Creator of an item you're about to purchase weren't online for X years, please make sure you understand the risks" or something similar.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Fionalein said:

That is not necessarily what got purged... the purged items can have been totally unscripted. But I admit a "reportthis product broken" button would not hurt... especially if the creator'S only response is "turn of script warnings" The hell I do - when it gives script warnings the creator messed up.

It doesn't have to be scripted to be bad, or have flaws that need updating.

11 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

As if purging did help with that too much. In some cases it might, but as far as I know item will be delisted from MP if a person didn't log for 5 years or item weren't sold even once for 2 years. So basically it does absolutely nothing as long as someone logs once every few years (to cashout a few $ perhaps or just to check what's new in SL).

Besides whole "support" thing is completely voluntary to begin with. There's nothing in LL's ToS regarding mandatory support for anything, be it items or services. So new items have roughly same chance to be broken and unusable as the old ones and (unless it's obvious scam, like selling basic prim instead of what is advertised on the MP page) LL won't get involved even if you'll fill the report.

---

I'm using those winter months where lots of new releases don't interest me too much (way too many seasonal items/clothing for my tastes) to get some old items that I might miss if they are gone. Sometimes I see something I like rezzed (or worn) in world and check creator's profile and see that they are not around already, links to in-world stores are broken and a few cases when I decided to check their last login date through mutual groups it did show that they are offline for a year or more. Can't say it would be an absolute tragedy to miss some of their creations, but sometimes they are quite unique and well made items with custom animations that can't be found anywhere else.

So I personally think it was completely unnecessary to purge anything. Instead LL could add a couple if "scary" warnings to MP listing and checkout pages. Like "Creator of an item you're about to purchase weren't online for X years, please make sure you understand the risks" or something similar.

You're arguing that since they didn't do it right, they shouldn't do anything at all. I'm saying they should be doing more. 

Every time someone buy some broken, junk, or scam item on the MP, it's that much more of a chance of credit chargebacks or copybotting. Both are worse for LL than actually policing the MP a little. 

3 minutes ago, Gadget Portal said:

For karma's sake I hope they hit your shop next ;)

If I want a content police I go to SL's competitors - having (almost) no restrictions on content is the major asset of SL, duh...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Gadget Portal said:

You're arguing that since they didn't do it right, they shouldn't do anything at all. I'm saying they should be doing more. 

Every time someone buy some broken, junk, or scam item on the MP, it's that much more of a chance of credit chargebacks or copybotting. Both are worse for LL than actually policing the MP a little. 

Scam is one thing, but content policing (aside of said scam stuff/things that break ToS) is a terrible idea. On what criteria you're going to base that policing? Who is going to determinate what is "junk" and what is not?

And yes, sometimes not doing anything is better than doing it wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

For karma's sake I hope they hit your shop next ;)

If I want a content police I go to SL's competitors - having (almost) no restrictions on content is the major asset of SL, duh...

I'm still here, I reply to inquiries about my products, and I've offered updates for suggestions and problems. I wouldn't be affected by what I'm suggesting. I'm happy to volunteer to go first if it makes SL less inviting for justified copybotting.

1 hour ago, steeljane42 said:

Scam is one thing, but content policing (aside of said scam stuff/things that break ToS) is a terrible idea. On what criteria you're going to base that policing? Who is going to determinate what is "junk" and what is not?

And yes, sometimes not doing anything is better than doing it wrong.

On what criteria? I can sell you an item that doesn't remotely do what the description says on the MP, or I can write a script to kill the product after you have it, I can steal other people's stuff, and it's currently a "resident to resident dispute" or "tell the IP owner to file a DMCA" if they answer you at all. That's on what criteria.

I said "content policing", not "quality control". There's a difference.

Edited by Gadget Portal

17 minutes ago, Gadget Portal said:

I'm still here, I reply to inquiries about my products, and I've offered updates for suggestions and problems. I wouldn't be affected by what I'm suggesting. I'm happy to volunteer to go first if it makes SL less inviting for justified copybotting.

On what criteria? I can sell you an item that doesn't remotely do what the description says on the MP, or I can write a script to kill the product after you have it, I can steal other people's stuff, and it's currently a "resident to resident dispute" or "tell the IP owner to file a DMCA" if they answer you at all. That's on what criteria.

I said "content policing", not "quality control". There's a difference.

I don't see how more mass purges would help with either of that. For example old content that got/getting purged has roughly same chance to work/be what is advertised on the MP page/etc as the new one.

Like you said, no one stops you or other people from making and selling broken products. So there can't be mass criteria for any purges, it's pretty much on an individual basis for each case. And that's what my initial reply to you was about, when you said "we need more purges". Because we don't. Faster/better reaction from LL when it comes to obvious scams would be great, though. I'd say "easier ways to file the DMCA" would be great too, but it's double-edged sword and I remember a few cases when legitimate content (even from very big stores, like belleza) got taken down (temporarily or completely) because competitors or some especially insistent trolls kept filing DMCA reports,

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 14/01/2019 at 06:21, Callum Meriman said:

Orbe de Conover que costumava ser em https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Land-Security-Orb-the-ORIGINAL-since-2006-by-Thomas-Conover/2471709

Eu realmente pensei que o laboratório não iria limpar as coisas que ainda são vendidas. No entanto, isso foi eliminado por eles.

Then, Thomas Conover signed in, returned to SL and resold in the Marketplace! No updates at all, just sales! He apparently has a partner or alt who has shop in the world. However, product panels target the MKT, they are not selling in the world.

1 hour ago, Axel Naxos said:

Then, Thomas Conover signed in, returned to SL and resold in the Marketplace! No updates at all, just sales! He apparently has a partner or alt who has shop in the world. However, product panels target the MKT, they are not selling in the world.

Lets see if he responds to an IM about his orb being broken. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.