Do You Miss Anything Purged from the MP?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1844 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was worried that Linden Lab would end up removing many precious and quirky things when they purged the Marketplace. But does anyone miss them? And how will we know?

One of my favourite past-times is to plug odd and interesting search words into the MP and look for odd things. I have found many amazing things like that. You'd be amazed at what people in SL actually undertake to make sometimes, and there have been some real finds over the years.

I use "favourite" a lot just to bookmark items that are interesting, and now I see quite a few have been purged from the MP. I can't really complain, as one of them is a merchant from whom I bought two things that didn't work, who promised to fix them, and disappeared. Another is a fantasy creator who made really great prim and sculpty things who felt she couldn't continue after mesh. This was really sad as I would still get her items. Now she and they are all gone.

But as I look at my list of favourites now I feel as if I can't delay on purchases for some of the odder and less famous people, they may be purged...

43 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Conover's Orb which used to be at https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Land-Security-Orb-the-ORIGINAL-since-2006-by-Thomas-Conover/2471709

I actually thought that the Lab were not going to purge things that still sold. Yet this was zapped by them.

There was a Forums thread on them removing more than announced...

5 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Conover's Orb which used to be at https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Land-Security-Orb-the-ORIGINAL-since-2006-by-Thomas-Conover/2471709

I actually thought that the Lab were not going to purge things that still sold. Yet this was zapped by them.

I was sad to see that go when I tried to buy another one for a friend last month.  I don't know if its the purge though because I couldn't get his website up either at the time

8 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

No. 

Same here. I had some cute but old stuff I kept watching and since put in my wishlist... but all that stuff is still there. The only things I see poof are those the creators deliberately remove after announcing "I QUIT SL!"

I'm going to qualify my "no" now. I don't miss any of the products. I wouldn't have been using them anyway as in most cases those items have been replaced by more current and useful products. What does make me sad is seeing how many have left SL. I do go down memory lane walks quite often. I remember those who have either quit SL for RL or other pursuits or those who have passed from both lives.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Sadly, mine says ts broken and to contact Thomas for a new one, he has yet to reply after two weeks. I think he may have left SL.. 

Did Conover withdrew its thousands of lindens by selling rubbish on the market? It was unplanned years, especially years selling the damn broken Orb. But there is another side to this story ... The last maybe dozens of reviews warned that the product did not work anymore, but Orb was still among the best sellers! Two sides of the coin ... He left late! Very late!

• Confused 1

I still use a conover orb in my shop next to my caspertech orb. I don't use it for security but for sending visitor information to the prowl app on my phone. That feature still works fine. Back when I bought the orb I had to have it replaced by Thomas (which he did promptly). I now keep a spare orb in my inventory in case the one I am using ever fails.

Edited by Christhiana

16 hours ago, Axel Naxos said:

Did Conover withdrew its thousands of lindens by selling rubbish on the market? It was unplanned years, especially years selling the damn broken Orb. But there is another side to this story ... The last maybe dozens of reviews warned that the product did not work anymore, but Orb was still among the best sellers! Two sides of the coin ... He left late! Very late!

Are you kidding me? You come here and slam a merchant that is or was in direct competition with you? Did you think no one would take a peek at your store? I've had Conovers orb for a decade with no issues. Yes I am looking for a new one now. No i will definitely NOT be buying one of yours.. Bad form... 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Are you kidding me? You come here and slam a merchant that is or was in direct competition with you? Did you think no one would take a peek at your store? I've had Conovers orb for a decade with no issues. Yes I am looking for a new one now. No i will definitely NOT be buying one of yours.. Bad form... 

Oh, I am scared!
Lady ... or Lord ...
Defending a guy that at least for hundreds of people, like me, did not give support ??? Both he was wrong that he was banished, simple. Or if he left on his own, at least he logged in!
I spoke of facts, after all myself I was his client, in fact I think all SL! I never competed with him, because my product came later!
I did not suggest you go to my store! I have CasperSafe because I can afford it, but who can not have the right to have simpler and cheaper products. And with support!
There are people with no character who keeps vendors of him scattered around the world ... they are as wrong as he is ...
Goodbye.

11 minutes ago, Axel Naxos said:

Oh, I am scared!
Lady ... or Lord ...

Not sure what you are scared of...

I am most definitely not a lady or lord.

12 minutes ago, Axel Naxos said:

I spoke of facts, after all myself I was his client, in fact I think all SL! I never competed with him, because my product came later!
I did not suggest you go to my store! I have CasperSafe because I can afford it, but who can not have the right to have simpler and cheaper products. And with support!

Facts? You claimed he sold rubbish, that is your opinion not a fact.
I didn't say you did suggest anyone go to your store, but it is in your signature line. So yes, curious people will look. 
Wait, you make security orbs and use someone else's? That's not a very glowing recommendation for your products.. 
I never had any issues with his orb till the other day, and it seems to have self fixed..  You had issues, still not a reason to slam anyone here. 

8 minutes ago, Axel Naxos said:

There are people with no character who keeps vendors of him scattered around the world ... they are as wrong as he is ...

Oh look another slam on random people.. Perhaps these vendor merchants don't know he left. It's not like he messaged anyone about it. 

14 minutes ago, Axel Naxos said:

Goodbye.

Bye Felicia.

• Like 3

Huh. Security Orb scripts are A dime-a-doz... no, wait, they're FREE. Literally dozens of them. Free. Simply duck.com or google.com a search will bring them up in a hurry. All other Security Orbs are, by definition, lessers. Because with free full-perm scripts... 

• Thanks 1

I'm sure it will have gotten even harder to find old scripts and things to take apart to learn from. Those 10 linden pieces of prim junk were prim junk alright but the scripts inside were helpful to me. No way to know what's gone that might have helped with future projects :(

My heart's too heavy this week to look for those who've passed on in hopes something remains.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

My heart's too heavy this week to look for those who've passed on in hopes something remains.

I know at least one passed away designer on MP... I have some of her stuff and like it a lot... while I don't want anything right now I would be supersad to see her last memory - and the ability for me to get her stuff - purged from SL's marketplace.

• Like 4

On 1/15/2019 at 5:04 PM, Christhiana said:

I still use a conover orb in my shop next to my caspertech orb. I don't use it for security but for sending visitor information to the prowl app on my phone. That feature still works fine. Back when I bought the orb I had to have it replaced by Thomas (which he did promptly). I now keep a spare orb in my inventory in case the one I am using ever fails.

I just found a Conover orb deeded on a rentals but I couldn't figure out to whom it should be returned. Are these now rarities like sion chicken feed that I should sell for thousands of Lindens???

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1844 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.