Questions about buying mainland.

MissSweetViolet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1914 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a few questions about buying mainland. I'm aware a premium account is needed to buy, and that your land tier is free if you stay within the first 1024 provided by a premium account. I have some questions about buying land on the mainland however, that despite many searches, could not seem to find an answer for.

1. If land says it is in the Mainland, and has the for sale tag in the address bar. I'm owning the property if I was to buy it, regardless who it says the owner is? I.e. Group/owner/Gov. Linden?

2. Can someone come and try to get me to pay them rent if were to buy it, and if so, would they have a claim, or is it a scam?

3. If I were to want land subdivided, who and where would I contact?

2 hours ago, MissSweetViolet said:

I have a few questions about buying mainland. I'm aware a premium account is needed to buy, and that your land tier is free if you stay within the first 1024 provided by a premium account. I have some questions about buying land on the mainland however, that despite many searches, could not seem to find an answer for.

1. If land says it is in the Mainland, and has the for sale tag in the address bar. I'm owning the property if I was to buy it, regardless who it says the owner is? I.e. Group/owner/Gov. Linden?

2. Can someone come and try to get me to pay them rent if were to buy it, and if so, would they have a claim, or is it a scam?

1. As long as the land is for sale and isn't SET to a certain person you can buy. Typically there isn't much "Governor Linden" land around -- that gets put up for auction. There may be exceptions that I haven't seen though.

2. No need for Title Insurance in SL.  No one can have a claim on the land. And as long as it is a 1024 or less your tier is free and you pay no one. Over that you would pay Linden Lab.

3. Once you own the land you can subdivide it yourself. There is no service for that.

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:
4 hours ago, MissSweetViolet said:

3. Once you own the land you can subdivide it yourself. There is no service for that.

Just a note that certain parts of Mainland cannot be joined or subdivided. This is exposed somewhere in the Region properties window. It's relatively rare, but it's the setting in some particularly popular parts of Mainland such as Bay City, Nautilus City, etc.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MissSweetViolet said:

Thank you so much everyone for the replies, that helps a lot! :) One last question. What about land set to buy (has buy tag in address bar to click), but talks of rental? Am I still good?

If the land is set to buy but mentions rental, then likely it is a mainland property that the owner will sell or is willing to rent to someone - in case someone wants to live there but isn't Premium or for some reason doesn't want to buy the land.  You can always message the current owner to confirm.

15 minutes ago, MissSweetViolet said:

Thank you so much everyone for the replies, that helps a lot! :) One last question. What about land set to buy (has buy tag in address bar to click), but talks of rental? Am I still good?

Note that when you attempt to buy a piece of mainland you will get a pop-up pane with info on how the purchase will change your fees (sometimes not at all of course).    As LittleMe noted that is likely and Either Or scenario. Read carefully and if in doubt send a notecard to the owner.

Also to be VERY CLEAR the free tier is ONLY good for Mainland, not private lands which do "rent" out their lands also. Think you know that but it can be confusing. 

2 hours ago, MissSweetViolet said:

Hi Violet!

As Chic says, first check to be sure it's Mainland.  Right click the ground, choose About Land.  In the General tab of that window, look for the entry "Type".  It should say, "Mainland/Full".  

Other things to check:

• Check the Maturity setting of the region...is it General, Mature, or Adult?  This is a region-level setting and you can't change it, so be sure it's what you want before you buy.  Nudity and virtual sex aren't allowed on General land.  On Moderate land, it's allowed, in private.  On Adult land, anything goes!
  • If the land is listed as "for sale or rent", compare the costs of renting vs. buying it.  In some cases, it may be cheaper to rent.
  • Check the builds on adjoining property.  Fly up and see what's up in the sky too.  Make sure there's nothing that you won't be able to bear having next door!

If you IM me in world, I'd be happy to come and look at the parcel with you.

Thank you everyone! :) So, I should still check when buying then, that's what I needed to know. And, yep. I'm aware of the mainland vs private land, and the maturity ratings too, so should be good there. ^_^ I just wanted to make sure if I were to get a place through buying it, that it would actually be mine. I had started to feel unsure, when I came across places set to buy, but they talked of renting, or the land was group owned. Right now, I'm just looking through, and not actually ready to buy just yet, but wanted to be ready when I am. :)

On 1/14/2019 at 8:18 AM, MissSweetViolet said:

1. You right click buy them yes you buy it but you still pay land tax to Linden Lab. I would suggest putting your alts into a group and donate all of their tiers to the group since you can own 10% more.

2. If you own the land only people you pay is Linden Lab. Only time you have to pay rent after buying is on private estates. 

3. Right click on the grass, click edit, you can subdivide it yourself. 

Edited by iamyourneighbour

On 1/15/2019 at 6:48 PM, iamyourneighbour said:

1. You right click buy them yes you buy it but you still pay land tax to Linden Lab. I would suggest putting your alts into a group and donate all of their tiers to the group since you can own 10% more.

2. If you own the land only people you pay is Linden Lab. Only time you have to pay rent after buying is on private estates. 

3. Right click on the grass, click edit, you can subdivide it yourself. 

Thank you for the reply. :)

I don't have any alts, so that won't help, but I'm not ready to buy just yet anyway, mainly planing out for later. I was getting confused by places that had a buy out option and the buy tag in the address bar, but talked of rent on the mainland.

"...I don't have any alts, so that won't help, but I'm not ready to buy just yet anyway, mainly planing out for later. I was getting confused by places that had a buy out option and the buy tag in the address bar, but talked of rent on the mainland."

This happens rather often.  A resident will offer a parcel for sale, but also offer it for rent.  If you buy it, you will be the owner, and (if your Mainland holdings exceed 1,024 sq. m.) pay tier directly to LL.  If you choose to rent it, you'll pay the current owner a weekly or monthly rental fee, often via a rental box.

One should do the math on "for sale or rent" parcels to see which option is the most advantageous to you!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1914 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.