AVATAR ISSUE/rant in newbie room...

Sandra8675

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1922 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was having several issues with my avatar in the newbie room.  I originally went into the newbie room because:

1.  avatar started walking different.  And I could not figure out why.
2.  avatar feet were 'floating' on top of her shoes.

When I went into the newbie room the help person finally went into the fitting room with me.  He said something like, 'Your avatar is all messed up.  You should read everything about your avatar before you mess with the settings.  There is a lot wrong with it.  You have 2 heads on, your avatar is in 'idle' and you have been 'messing' with the outfit colors.  You should never touch anything until you know what your doing.  You should always start off with a 'classic' body.  Next time read before you start pressing all the buttons.'

For the record:
1.  I did not and would not press all the buttons.
2.  I DID start off with a classic body of Jenny even though the 'newbie helper' was accusing me of otherwise.
3.  I DID NOT change the original color of the clothes the avatar was wearing.  She was wearing a multi colored pants suit that always worked well for me in the past few days.  
4.  The shoes were a problem which is why I originally entered the 'newbie help destination'.  I never did get the shoes fixed.  The feet continued floating on top of the shoes.  I ended up using a 'shoe shaper' and made a very simple pair of boots.
5.  I NEVER added  2 heads.  I did use some hair from FREE DOVE which looked fine.  But, because I felt it may be causing a problem I removed it.  Then I added stock classic avatar hair for Jenny.

In the end my avatar did look and walk normal.  And I did ask several people if they could see my avatar ok and they said the could see her clearly.

Yes, I was irritated and frustrated at this person and the way he talked to me because I went to the newbie room to get help.  After I got the 'lecture' from the 'guy helping' in the newbie forum I did ask, 'Can you tell me something specific that is wrong that we can work on fixing?'  I never did get an answer.  I was only told  that I should 'not jump into pressing buttons and changing things before reading more about avatars.'

• Sad 2

With all due respect, Sandra, and with due consideration of this and all other posts I see from you in the forum, " You should read [...]" is sound advice. 

Of course, I don't know the person in question, I don't know what your avatar looked like at that point, etc etc. But I do know that you are asking very basic questions in this here forum, and when people point you at the information available (and there is a lot available) or quite simply giving yourself a little time to figure things out for yourself, you don't seem to react. 

Please understand that I do not mean to be rude or offend, far from it. We were all newbies once, after all (and man, I can still remember flying around on what was then "Orientation Island" and constantly bumping into buildings). However, your "I want it all and I want it now"-way of dealing with every hiccup instead of trying things and looking for solutions yourself won't help you in the long run. 

ETA: I can't be sure as English is not my native language, but it seems to me that you sometimes mix up words - newbie room? Newbie forum? 

Edited by Ginger Shostakovich
Edited to add
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sandra8675 said:

I never did get an answer.  

I was only told  that I should ...

if i see everything that's told to you and answered on your previous questions i think you skipped a lot of those advices.

Same as Ginger said... SLOW DOWN .. lot of people who are helping you here are in SL 5 to 13 years , you can't get the same experience in a week time.
Do step by step, start at the front, and not at the result. If you do that you'll run smilling through SL in a few weeks, otherwise you might end in the huge crowds of diasapointed and faded millions of never logging residents.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sandra8675 said:

I was only told  that I should 'not jump into pressing buttons and changing things before reading more about avatars.'

That in itself is very good advice you should follow it. Soak up all the advice you are given and you will understand how system and mesh bodies work 

I don't think we can imagine how it is to start today.

It is so many complications. First of all, LL refused to make a mesh body that all could make content for. So we got this enormous market of bodies, heads, feet and hands.

It is barely a decent freebie for classic body newbies anymore, unless they get a mesh body. Many will not spend money before they "learn how to use SL". It is not easy to see on the vendors, what they buy. We think it is simple, because we know it all, all the names and systems.

Then LL decided to have starter mesh avatars that is no modify.

Then they decided to have both "wear" and "add".

Plus that we old users, is several step ahead of newbies. Always. We simply can't think basic enough. An example, Sandras avatar was suddenly walking different. "All" started to talk about Animation Overrides that is attached to screen, or "sexywalk" shoes.

Not that I am so clever, but I remembered that LL has added Animation Overrides with the starter avatars, and OF COURSE LL had to make it special. The LL AO attach to Center 2, and is not visible at all. So Sandra put on clothes by using "wear" and one of them had "Center 2" as attachment point. Poof, AO gone.

And how shall a newbie know that? And we, of course has not used the new starter avatars, so we can be helpful, but we don't know about the starter AO. It was just luck that I tried on some of the starter avatars and could remember it.

Typical for LL, they try to make things simple? And instead they make special shiny (*****ty) New Things that complicate everything.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, Ginger Shostakovich said:

I can't be sure as English is not my native language, but it seems to me that you sometimes mix up words - newbie room? Newbie forum? 

From her previous posts I gathered that she visits a place inworld, that wants to be a starting point and place of help for newbies.

28 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:
12 hours ago, Ginger Shostakovich said:

I can't be sure as English is not my native language, but it seems to me that you sometimes mix up words - newbie room? Newbie forum? 

From her previous posts I gathered that she visits a place inworld, that wants to be a starting point and place of help for newbies.

When someone new to SL uses the word 'room' to describe an area it's usually a good indicator that they've either come to SL from IMVU or have been a previous IMVU user.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

true without doubt,
but also have to add that when they get advice to slow down, get the hang of things, they simply refuse and keep going.
Also in this case... several times "ok i do it" (as example, not exact words) and less than 5 minutes later the next question comes about a new or other issue ..
It's said quite often, the iwantitnow and youhavetohelpmeinstantly generation is impossible to assist.

"we" had the "luck" we could change and learn the most current problems during the time it evolved, but we managed to learn it by steps.. and thát is still the only way, but most refuse that. They don't even try to find solutions themself, just dump on the forums and somebody will come .. And let's be honest, also our start was not easy in all aspects. And how many hours did we try, learn and adjust and modify things we made, bought and changing to mesh when it came out?

did you read about the product: no
did you ask in the store : no
did you ask at the store group: no
did you try read the manual: no of course not
did you use search on the forum: no

helping is a two way connection, often just one.

• Like 3

From what she said, it sounded to me like she went a newbie help area in world and got a lecture instead of help in fixing her Avatar. That's a totally valid rant imo.

Sandra, any freebie you get can be replaced. Make copies before you fiddle with things, but go ahead and fiddle. There isn't anything that can't be fixed or replaced. If you're still having trouble, message me in world and I'll see what I can do help you and give you the landmarks to a couple of newbie friendly places I know of when I'm on.

Edited by Roxy Couturier
not formatting right..
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I started 2 years ago, bento was just out back then... I can imagine how it is today... then again I am a STEM person... SL's behaviour seemed logical to me as soon as I figured out why things were as they were.

PS: "Jenny" does not appear in my library

Edited by Fionalein

1 hour ago, Ethan Paslong said:

did you use search on the forum: no

helping is a two way connection, often just one.

Well, I recall some posts where she say that she tried to search.

It is impossible to know where someone comes from. And if they "get" Secondlife or not.

Should SL be so difficult that only persons with an angels patience who will research all possible things about Second Life can use it? And also research things no one told them about?

Yes, it is an easy tutorial about just how to open boxes. Easy for ME. Maybe she did not use the correct search words. Maybe she found all other videos. Maybe she could have tried searching more.

But other things, like that tricky newbie LL AO is hardly something a newbie can find out. I tried to search "my avatar walk different second life" and I found nothing useful at all.

Or the difference between wear and add.

Sandra, if you haven't given up Second Life yet (and I don't blame you) try to take a snapshot in Second Life or Printscreen and attach it to the questions. It saves us from much guessing, because a picture is better than words. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Taking_snapshots

Newbies should change the avatar and make mistakes. No one have to reply or help anyone. If it feels like a person is too "demanding" no one have any obligation to reply. Or use that implied "you should understand this on your own".

Sandra, when I first started SL, I was very frustrated because I wanted to learn everything so quickly. I did not realize that there was so much to learn and so much to get frustrated with. Sometimes there is no logic to learning SL, unfortunately.

I suggest that you visit Newbie Help Sims, most of them always have at least one helper on the sim. Also, some have walk through tutorials and videos to watch. Below are SL map links, websites etc to help you. Just take one day at a time. Even those who have been here for years, still do not know everything. It helps if one is a good computer user, if not then I suggest that you watch videos on the basics of computer use.

NCI Kuula - Help Sim for newbies or anyone who wishes to learn the foundation basics of SL. Usually there are helpers there who have a tag above their head saying so. Otherwise ask in local chat for help.  (put this link in the address bar of your viewer for Second Life then hit enter) https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Kuula/55/168/29

Helping Haven Gateway- Help sim for newbies. (put this link in the address bar of your viewer for Second Life then hit enter) http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Helping Haven Gateway/44/53/26

Second Life Quickstart https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/second-life-quickstart-r373/

Second Life Tutorials, mix of vidoes, text articles etc https://strawberrysingh.com/2016/08/31/introduction-second-life/

Learn how to dance.. a sim devoted to just that! http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nogojiri/11/210/22 (put this link in the address bar of your viewer for Second Life then hit enter)

Edited by ClariceRose
added another link

When I started here I wanted to get it right and so mostly I took it steady. I made one or two blunders early on with clothes and especially shoes, shoe bases and alphas, but I made it through. 

The main reason I learned was from the help in the forums, which is invaluable. I've also learned a lot from friends in world, some of it probably better not learned!!

When I talk to newbies inworld I always tell them to take it slow and ask......

I've done ok. :)

But there's plenty I don't know........

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1922 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.