I don't understand this game

Silvian73

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1891 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

35 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

This really is no different from the process in most environments that are generally considered "games", we simply use less poetic words.

Then, you could argue that the process of relieving yourself could be considered a game too (the goal of the game here is to find a bathroom in time, or you lose), and indeed any other aspect of First Life.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

11 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Then, you could argue that the process of relieving yourself could be considered a game too (the goal of the game here is to find a bathroom in time, or you lose), and indeed any other aspect of First Life.

It could be if you deliberately performed acts to fill your bladder specifically so that you would be in a race against time. (Three words: "Japanese Game Show.")

And this:

http://tap-repeatedly.com/2012/07/yes-its-a-game/

2 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

And yet, we had someone asking for how to improve their avatar's "dance skill." They were told that they could do this by:

1) Clicking on an arbitrary object in a specific location for a temporary increase in their avatar's ability to dance.

2) Go other specific locations where they could get dance skills (i.e. animations) for free.

or

3) Trading tokens (L$) which can be obtained in a large variety of ways for this same increased dance skill.

This really is no different from the process in most environments that are generally considered "games", we simply use less poetic words. As far as Second Life not having a "win/lose" condition that's built in rather than being decided by the participants, neither do "games" like the Sims series or Dungeons and Dragons.

I like the way you phrased this, especially in response to Arduenn’s post. It makes my brain hurt, but I suddenly realized you could make all of SL an RP “game” by using different words.

8 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You replied to Haselden's post where he specifically named XP and Vista and you only said "old OSes." I don't consider Windows 7 old, so I made a reasonable assumption that you were referring to the OSes Haselden originally mentioned.

"My  guess OP is that Lindon Labs is  still supporting computers such as ((Windows XP, Windows Vista, etc))"

"yes, LL does support older OSes and computers. Not a damn  thing wrong with  that."

If this is unreasonable, please explain.

In terms of OSes, 7 IS old, despite your opinion.

I did not address every single word in Haselden's post. Go back and look at exactly what I did quote. TWO WORDS. And not one of them was Windows.

You are pulling BS out of thin air for the sake of argument, making a mountain out of a molehill that does not exist and trying to make it look like I said something I never said.

see-this-shit-stop-it.jpg

To summarize:

1. Second Life is a bad game.

2. No, it’s not a game in the traditional sense. And it’s not bad for people with decent hardware and internet.

3. Yes, it can be a game if you approach it that way.

4. I will argue to the dearth that it’s not a game.

5. But eeet eeeeeezzz a gaaaaame!

6. No it’s not. 

7. SHUT UP!!!1!2!

Repeat ad infinitum.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Added #7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

To summarize:

1. Second Life is a bad game.

2. No, it’s not a game in the traditional sense. And it’s not bad for people with decent hardware and internet.

3. Yes, it can be a game if you approach it that way.

4. I will argue to the dearth that it’s not a game.

5. But eeet eeeeeezzz a gaaaaame!

6. No it’s not. 

Repeat ad infinitum.

Oh gee, I left out 

7. SHUT UP!!!1!2!

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I've always said you have to be a little insane just to survive in this world. Been saying it decades longer than SL has been around.

Perhaps I am just a wee bit insane. heehee.gif.9c8b7000861c308b51f75abc5cd5bb26.gif

Sanity is based on norms. Who says the norms are sane? The whole system is rigged!

3 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Oh, that's just the normal forum chit-chat. Happens on many threads.

Of course it does. That's my point. We're here to talk and we'll talk about whatever. Troll throws up a thread, we'll talk about that if it interests us. If it doesn't particularly, various side topics and derails will develop. The "game" thing's been done to death so it's taken up very little of the three pages but the thread continues because it's the virtual street corner we all happened to bump into each other on. Then we'll find ourselves on another one and another one and another one. Not because we're being trolled but simply because we enjoy talking with each other in this forum.

Maybe the troll derives some satisfaction from being the virtual street corner under our feet. Don't know, people are curious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

In terms of OSes, 7 IS old, despite your opinion.

I did not address every single word in Haselden's post. Go back and look at exactly what I did quote. TWO WORDS. And not one of them was Windows.

You are pulling BS out of thin air for the sake of argument, making a mountain out of a molehill that does not exist and trying to make it look like I said something I never said.

see-this-shit-stop-it.jpg

captain-america.jpg.e6eb03c4cabb0a127d4f43557ef857ef.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1891 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.