Best laptop for SL. Don’t have desktop room.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hubby is going to buy me a laptop..was for Xmas but I’m not really good at computers and I’m getting so confused. I need to get a laptop not a desktop. I do some building and I have a place I live that has lag. Love to decorate and shop for furniture. I also do tarot card readings. Not going to crowded places ..I’m a hermit, but I do sail. So would love some serious ideas about the best graphics laptop so I don’t get kicked off. I’m using an old Dell now and I get to stay on for 10 minutes tops before I get bumped off. If you get technical with your responses I have a friend who builds laptops and he can help me figure out the specifics. SL is my get away space from the daily hassles of life. I don’t want it to be another source of aggravation.  Thank you all in advance! I’d like to stay under $1,200.00.

Edited by Jypsee Ametza
Add more info

I have a new Acer Aspire that works very well for SL.  It has 16 GB of core memory, a NVidia GTX1060 graphics card with 6 GB of memory on it, and a 256GB SSD hard drive.  The screen is 17", so it has a nice big viewing area.  When I bought it in September, NewEgg had it on sale for something around $1000.  They usually have something comparable in that price range.  The only drawback at all is that it doesn't have a cable connection, so I have to use wifi, which cuts into performance a bit.  Still, I use it primarily away from home, where a cable would usually be a disadvantage anyway.  Oh, and it doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, but you can get a very good portable one for under $30.  All in all, I still prefer my desktop while I am home, but this laptop is a great improvement over the one I had before.

• Thanks 1

Lenovo is a good company, and that looks like a good machine.  It certainly exceeds SL's recommended configuration.  Since you have a choice with the graphics card, I would recommend the NVidia one.  For whatever reason, NVidia crads perform better in SL's GL environment than AMD/ATI cards, which seem to do better with DirectX.  If you dig through posts in these forums, you'll find fewer people who have reported problems with NVidia graphics.

The blurb you posted does not offer any details about how much CPU and GPU  memory the computer has, or about the hard drive.  If you have an option, look for at least 8 GB of CPU memory (16 if the machine can hold it), and 6GB of GPU memory.  The size of the hard drive is less important, since you can always supplement with external memory if you ever need it.  Most machines these days will have enough space on a hard drive to satisfy your needs.

3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I like Lenovo. That laptop has got good reviews. No need to worry about Word as any gaming computer will be able to run it. 

Lenovo is a good choice, it has a pretty decent availability of spare parts like batteries if you intend to keep your laptop for longer... a lot of students I know had refurbished former business models by them.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jypsee Ametza said:

They said the highest GPU is 4 GB. That that is the highest Nvidia GTX can handle.

A graphics card with 4GB memory will work but that's at the low end for SL.  If you can get more memory in it, do it.  BTW, The NVidia GTX 1060 can manage 6 GB.  That's that mine has.

• Thanks 1

Yes, the GTX 1070 is a much superior graphics card.  That's what's in my desktop. That's what makes the price difference from the Lenovo model you were looking at first.   You'll have to decide whether it's worth the higher price for you.  I chose the 1060 for my own laptop because it's the machine I use away from home, not the one I use daily.  I am a creator, so the 1070 card makes more sense on the desktop that I do most of my work on.

• Thanks 1

I create some but SL is my escape for my job and my responsibilities into a nice quiet peaceful world. I like to learn as well. It’s my college without a price. I’m hoping to never have to buy another laptop again. I’m a baby boomer so this will be it for me.  I don’t mind spending some extra because this laptop will be for writing my books and escaping to SL. I hate the lag that happens and being bumped off. There are so many brilliant computer people on here and I’d like to thank everyone thus far for helping me navigate through this maze of  confusion. Life was so much easier in DOS. Lol. No seriously thank you all thus far. Thank you Rolig for taking your time to help.

Ok..I just applied for the 12 months,  O interest eggthingy card. 

Is this ok  or should I go for the more expensive one or is the hp best?

I try to build in SL  and I hang out in my little space in a sim that has bad lag. I also write books. That’s it for this one. I don’t want to have to buy another compute if SL ups it requirements in the next 5 years.

thank you!

9F2D49FE-AAAC-49A0-853D-2DA5F1367234.png

@Jypsee Ametza It looks like you have narrowed down your choices well, and you're working through the minefield of technical specifications. (Yes, the CPU is your machine's Core Processing Unit and the GPU is its Graphics Processing Unit.  Each has its own chunk of dedicated memory for handling specific functions.  Your computer's storage is separate from those. )

A word of commiseration:  I too am a baby boomer, probably older than you are (possibly much older).  There's nothing special about us, nor are we any less able to deal with all of SL's challenges.  We're just older (and well, some of us ) more attractive.  😎  Never apologize for being a boomer.

A word of caution:  Don't count on this being your last computer.  In fact, bet that it won't be, any more than your current car is likely to be your last one.  Machines wear out or are superseded by models that can do more tricks, faster and better.  Even if Linden Lab doesn't add on more features that increase the demand on your machine, you are likely to become more sophisticated as time goes on too.  You'll discover amazing things to do five years from now and will be ready to get a fancier computer.  It happens.

The best overall rule for buying a computer is to stretch for the best machine you can buy within your price range rather than looking for the cheapest one you can find.

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

A word of commiseration:  I too am a baby boomer, probably older than you are (possibly much older).  There's nothing special about us, nor are we any less able to deal with all of SL's challenges.  We're just older (and well, some of us ) more attractive.  😎  Never apologize for being a boomer.

You think you got it bad. Im a millennial, aka the generation everyone loves to blame 😂

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, chibiusa Ling said:

You think you got it bad. Im a millennial, aka the generation everyone loves to blame 😂

well lets face it there is much to blame you for, to name just a few

txt speak 

Justin Bieber and his incomprehensible popularity

hover boards

fidget spinners

supposedly adult males that identify as bronies

just to name a few off the top of my head

Edited by KanryDrago

1 hour ago, KanryDrago said:

well lets face it there is much to blame you for, to name just a few

txt speak 

Justin Bieber and his incomprehensible popularity

hover boards

fidget spinners

supposedly adult males that identify as bronies

just to name a few off the top of my head

And yet none of those involve destroying an entire economy! Millenials rule! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.