Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So I discovered by *accident* that the Lindens are working on a (super-secret?) 360 Snapshot project. I never saw it announced! Well-played, Lindens, well-played indeed!

Anyway, I thought I'd create this thread to show-off wonderful places I've found using 360-Snapshots (as in 360º Snapshots) because the usual "flat" snapshots just don't do some of these places justice! I'll tell you how (if you want to give it a go) inaminute, but first a coupe, from Lutz! (If you don't see it: click on the picture and drag your mouse):

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Templemore City/127/88/28

SO here's how to do it if you want!

  • Grab the LL "Second Life Project 360 Snapshot Viewer" (Mac, Windows) here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers
  • Position your camera where you want, then choose WORLD->CAPTURE 360
  • If you like the preview, then click SAVE LOCAL (and give it a good name)
  • Upload directly to FLICKR (if you want to embed it here) or any other 360 Photo hosting website
  • Open the 360 image in Flickr (so you see it as a 360 Image with click-and-drag) - Copy the URL
  • Create a reply in this thread and paste the URL
  • THEN, go back to Flickr, click "SHOW EXIF" and copy the SLURL and paste it into your message too.

That's it!

A couple things to note: It's an experimental viewer, it's very stable for me (the SL Viewer part is rock-solid), though sometimes the 360 image doesn't capture some prims and mesh objects, so you may have to reposition and experiment a bit, Also, don't edit your 360 images because then you may erase all the meta whatevers that Flickr uses to make it a true 360-image. :)

Even if I am the only one to post here then so be it. It's a shiny new toy from Linden lab and I hope they keep developing it! Though I hope some of you will join me!

This is just a post to kick it off, I already have a new place to show you in my next post!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

you should visit those developer meetings...

I would love to!

Except... I'm not a developer, so even if I could be in-world when they do those meetings, I'm not sure I'd understand much of anything said in them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night I was able to click on your 360 in another thread and rotate it around.  For the above, I do not have any rotate ability. My guess is that the problem is because it is embed from Flickr and my work place has blocked Flickr.  I'll try to remember to pull this thread up at home to confirm that I can rotate the view from there.

I remember seeing the 360 viewer on the project viewer downloads sometime mid last year or so, and made a note to myself to try it out - and then apparently forgot about said note.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I would love to!

Except... I'm not a developer, so even if I could be in-world when they do those meetings, I'm not sure I'd understand much of anything said in them. 

I only read summaries of them  myself ... the 360 is know to me from all those "Nothing new on Project XYZ viewer" lines ;) ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Last night I was able to click on your 360 in another thread and rotate it around.  For the above, I do not have any rotate ability. My guess is that the problem is because it is embed from Flickr and my work place has blocked Flickr.  I'll try to remember to pull this thread up at home to confirm that I can rotate the view from there.

I remember seeing the 360 viewer on the project viewer downloads sometime mid last year or so, and made a note to myself to try it out - and then apparently forgot about said note.

 

Yes, it is Flickr. The other 360-picture hosts don't have any embedding ability other than that iFrame thingie, which this and most other forums don't allow. So I guess you're seeing the "flat" version. LOL

1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

I only read summaries of them  myself ... the 360 is know to me from all those "Nothing new on Project XYZ viewer" lines ;) ... 

Challenge accepted.

  1. Learn which Linden-in-charge to nag the hell out of
  2. FInd Line Lab CEO's personal email address and spam-spam-spam with lotsa "please, please, please" in them
  3. Post bunches of 360 pics hin ere, even if it's only me, so more people will (hopefully) know it existstsess!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Challenge accepted.

  1. Learn which Linden-in-charge to nag the hell out of
  2. FInd Line Lab CEO's personal email address and spam-spam-spam with lotsa "please, please, please" in them

xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I would love to!

Except... I'm not a developer, so even if I could be in-world when they do those meetings, I'm not sure I'd understand much of anything said in them. 

GREAT WORK!! Am glad to see your 360's HERE.. didn't realize it could be posted here as well!! I thought it was only on PLACE pages. 

Again.. I'm NOT a photog, so you won't be seeing any from me anytime soon. Further... I may have "TECH" in my name... but that's ONLY a virtual thang!! Really I'm just curious of all techie things. 

Now NEXT.... I noticed that the new GTFO Forums page is formatted much the same as this forum. Do you think you can get 360' photos into GTFO! forum also?! Would definitely WANT to see/review/check-out some Hub's before driving/flying up to them in my rig/plane.

 

Edited by TechDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TechDave said:

GREAT WORK!! Am glad to see your 360's HERE.. didn't realize it could be posted here as well!! I thought it was only on PLACE pages. 

Again.. I'm NOT a photog, so you won't be seeing any from me anytime soon. Further... I may have "TECH" in my name... but that's ONLY a virtual thang!! Really I'm just curious of all techie things. 

Now NEXT.... I noticed that the new GTFO Forums page is formatted much the same as this forum. Do you think you can get 360' photos into GTFO! forum also?! Would definitely WANT to see/review/check-out some Hub's before driving/flying up to them in my rig/plane.

 

OMG! Great idea! I'll grab os 360 of my place and see if I can post it there LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

though sometimes the 360 image doesn't capture some prims and mesh objects, so you may have to reposition and experiment a bit,

Disabling Object-Object Occlusion mostly fixes that problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Disabling Object-Object Occlusion mostly fixes that problem.

OH! I never would have thought of that, thank you! :) 

Many of those settings don't make any sense to me. The most confusing ones are Avatar Cloth (which I finally learned what that is and why it's not necessary now - until Bakes on Mesh, anyway) and that anistropotopotic whatever. Hahaha. I think I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out what that is and when I did (I'm still hazy on understanding it) I tried comparing it on and off and I just cannot see the difference! Maybe if I have a 150" display maybe. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TechDave said:

GREAT WORK!! Am glad to see your 360's HERE.. didn't realize it could be posted here as well!! I thought it was only on PLACE pages. 

Again.. I'm NOT a photog, so you won't be seeing any from me anytime soon. Further... I may have "TECH" in my name... but that's ONLY a virtual thang!! Really I'm just curious of all techie things. 

Now NEXT.... I noticed that the new GTFO Forums page is formatted much the same as this forum. Do you think you can get 360' photos into GTFO! forum also?! Would definitely WANT to see/review/check-out some Hub's before driving/flying up to them in my rig/plane.

 

It DOES work! I've been suspecting they use the host of the same forum that Linden Lab does. :) :)

https://forums.sl-gtfo.com/topic/250-damnsim-cross-in-the-boonies/

AAAAnd just realized (DUH!) that I should also post that picture here. This is my place and I don't sell anything, so I hope this doesn't count as an advertisement (and so I won't post the SLURL this time). I simply want to show another 360 picture. :)

 

OH! And a little trivia: the Chinese characters on all my signage and things? Says "Second Life". Bahahaha!

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried using it, I took a photo but when I clicked to save it, it didn't prompt a window to select a folder to save so I don't think it was saved or if it was, no idea where.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh :) I like this!  I've been playing around with it for the past hour now,  and it is a lot of fun.  Thanks for sharing it, and the pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These 360’s work on mobile too!  At least they do on my iPhone!!

Can’t make it inworld today due to RL, dang’it!!!  But can still look at some GOOD 360 poctures!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

I tried using it, I took a photo but when I clicked to save it, it didn't prompt a window to select a folder to save so I don't think it was saved or if it was, no idea where.

On the LL viewers, the snapshot will have automatically silently saved to the last folder you saved a snapshot to on a LL viewer, even if your last session was 6 months ago.
Horrible "feature" that was added recently.
Use "Save as" so you can choose where to save each snapshot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

I tried using it, I took a photo but when I clicked to save it, it didn't prompt a window to select a folder to save so I don't think it was saved or if it was, no idea where.

The default is to save the picture to wherever the last picture was saved.  You can click 'Save As' and it will open to the folder where it last saved a picture - thus letting you know the location.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never used a LL viewer nor I took any screenshots and saved them to my drive since I started using the notebook.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

I've never used a LL viewer nor I took any screenshots and saved them to my drive since I started using the notebook.

 

There will be a default location.  If you click "Save As", it should open to whatever folder it saved that picture to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now you just need a matching monitor

ultrawide.jpg

Yes, there are panoramic displays now.  Most of the benefits of VR goggles without the nausea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2019 at 11:24 AM, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

I tried using it, I took a photo but when I clicked to save it, it didn't prompt a window to select a folder to save so I don't think it was saved or if it was, no idea where.

I wonder if you're doing the "Save Local" button? I choose "360" from the World menu, then that brings the small widget, then click Take 360" button. After the preview shows then you must click "Save Local" button - and every time it always opens a window to name it. At least for me, it does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2019 at 11:27 AM, WillowTenage said:

Oooh :) I like this!  I've been playing around with it for the past hour now,  and it is a lot of fun.  Thanks for sharing it, and the pictures.

Yuss! New shiny toy from LL!

23 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

On the LL viewers, the snapshot will have automatically silently saved to the last folder you saved a snapshot to on a LL viewer, even if your last session was 6 months ago.
Horrible "feature" that was added recently.
Use "Save as" so you can choose where to save each snapshot.

True - however for the 360 snapshots (in the Project 360 Viewer version I have) - it always opens the save window to choose a place and rename the file.

23 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The default is to save the picture to wherever the last picture was saved.  You can click 'Save As' and it will open to the folder where it last saved a picture - thus letting you know the location.

 

Yes, yes - I always do "Save As" myself.

18 hours ago, animats said:

Now you just need a matching monitor

ultrawide.jpg

Yes, there are panoramic displays now.  Most of the benefits of VR goggles without the nausea.

Jeezuz! LOL Is that thing for real? It looks like a spoof or something! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:
18 hours ago, animats said:

Now you just need a matching monitor

ultrawide.jpg

Yes, there are panoramic displays now.  Most of the benefits of VR goggles without the nausea.

Jeezuz! LOL Is that thing for real? It looks like a spoof or something! LOL

That monitor is definitely for real.  I've had my eye on one at Best Buy for a while now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, wide curved monitors are real, and getting cheaper. They give FPS players an edge, so they sell.

The next step up is this:

home1-dome.jpg

The Igloo. Full 360 degree images. Now that's how to view a panorama. Mostly seen at trade shows for now. Holodecks are getting closer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×