If there was an "offline" version of Second Life....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 1 year later...

As a new user I would like to be able to sort through my inventory without opening a viewer. In the default viewer (the only one I've used so far) inventory is managed in a pop-up that is not full-screen hence is a squinty hassle to go through. Any ideas on how to do inventory work without being in-world appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have seen Agni, Aditi, Aruna, Bharati, Chandra, Damballah, Danu, Durga, Ganga, Mitra, Mohini, Nandi, Parvati, Radha, Ravi, Siva, Shakti, Skanda, Soma, Uma, Vaak and Yami in SL Viewer grid selectors of days gone by.

I have tried Open Simulator.  It was a massive time sink.  Since I was looking for an alternative gathering space instead of a place to learn to build and then build products in preparation to doing it again in SL, I just shut it down and never looked back.  Since it would not be possible to work on SL Inventory without being logged in to SL, I am not sure where this is going.

I looked in to buying the isolatable product LL was offering for businesses but it was very expensive to acquire, expensive to operate and expensive to keep updated so that investigation didn't take long.

2 hours ago, Pombokom said:

As a new user I would like to be able to sort through my inventory without opening a viewer. In the default viewer (the only one I've used so far) inventory is managed in a pop-up that is not full-screen hence is a squinty hassle to go through. Any ideas on how to do inventory work without being in-world appreciated.

Sorry, no can do with any of the full fledged viewers -- default or third party. Many of us have requested this in the past.  Way back when there was an app that allowed you to do some inventory manipulations, but it would time out on when the inventory got very large -- I don't remember 'how large'.  In any case, that app is no longer available and any old versions of it no longer work.

Some of the 3rd party non-graphics clients might allow some inventory work.  LL's first phone app version will pretty much be chat only, but maybe they'll add some inventory management stuff to it later.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

ETA:  I skimmed through the third party stuff and Radegast sounds like it has inventory access.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory/Radegast

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

On 1/11/2019 at 3:42 AM, Gopi Passiflora said:

...would you use it? (By offline I mean you still have stuff like the open world, avatar customization, and building...but no other residents to interact with.)

I probably would, but it would be more boring without the other people though. So I wouldn't use it as much as the online Second Life.

You can have your own personal grid on your computer using Opensim codes. This is very very similar to Second Life.   Lots of folks run the software only for themselves. Others let folks come visit.      

Letting people visit your standalone looks pretty difficult as you need to change lots of settings on your computer, it seems.

I had no trouble setting up my standalone and subsequently developing it but when I looked into making it accessible online, I gave up when I saw the instructions! 

Edited by Conifer Dada

On 1/11/2019 at 3:42 AM, Gopi Passiflora said:

...would you use it? (By offline I mean you still have stuff like the open world, avatar customization, and building...but no other residents to interact with.)

I probably would, but it would be more boring without the other people though. So I wouldn't use it as much as the online Second Life.

Definitely. I'd prefer that to the OpenSim standalones. I do all my creating and testing on it before uploading to the main grid.

It does get lonesome after a while if you spend too much time creating. There's no one else there to appreciate your efforts.

I've always wanted SL to be like AW in one aspect. You could host your own "region" or "estate" on your pc with it's own object path on your pc. I think the stumbling block for SL is inventory and how to make it all work with the MP and inworld purchases. Somehow, I know it will work and people would love it which would give LL a means to lower land prices and increase income. It would attract more people and increase retainage.

Enzo and Ebbe should get together and have a talk.

@Linden Lab

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 6:42 AM, Gopi Passiflora said:

There *was* such a thing with one of SL's predecessors in Virtual Worlds, ActiveWorlds. You could log in, walk around a bit, and if you had no internet connection and just wanted to screw around with stuff, it'd essentially use your cache data to provide you access to worlds in AW.

Definitely. I'd prefer that to the OpenSim standalones. I do all my creating and testing on it before uploading to the main grid.

It does get lonesome after a while if you spend too much time creating. There's no one else there to appreciate your efforts.

I've always wanted SL to be like AW in one aspect. You could host your own "region" or "estate" on your pc with it's own object path on your pc. I think the stumbling block for SL is inventory and how to make it all work with the MP and inworld purchases. Somehow, I know it will work and people would love it which would give LL a means to lower land prices and increase income. It would attract more people and increase retainage.

Enzo and Ebbe should get together and have a talk.

- Selene Gregoire (Sorry, quotes are a bit borked)

As a long time user of SL, and a history with AW, that's a snowball's chance in hell. If my recollections are valid, AWI doesn't have a good opinion of the Lindens, as it got to the point that SL was driving people away from Activeworlds that a Customs bot would ban you on the spot if you even mentioned Second Life or SL in passing. I doubt that over time Rick Noll (E N Z O) has let SL's hype bring AW into a death knell slide.

Edited by Rathgrith027

14 minutes ago, Rathgrith027 said:

There *was* such a thing with one of SL's predecessors in Virtual Worlds, ActiveWorlds. You could log in, walk around a bit, and if you had no internet connection and just wanted to screw around with stuff, it'd essentially use your cache data to provide you access to worlds in AW.

That isn't how it works with AW. You have an object path (folder) on your pc, not a cache. You host your objects as well as your world.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

13 hours ago, Pombokom said:

Offline SL is not a thing

SL is 100% serverside .. like websites ..

You can't have an offline SL in the same way you can't have an offline facebook.

If you could have an offline SL - say, you had a cache of your stuff and you synced that cache back with SL next time you connected ... that would probably be called a copybot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

That isn't how it works with AW. You have an object path (folder) on your pc, not a cache. You host your objects as well as your world.

I've used the AW Client for years, I'm pretty certain I know how the blasted thing works.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Rathgrith027 said:

I've used the AW Client for years, I'm pretty certain I know how the blasted thing works.

I was in AW for many years before coming to SL in 2004. Owned quite a few worlds as well. All of which were hosted on my pc along with the objects paths for each one. A few I won playing Bingo back when they still gave worlds as Bingo prizes. Ah the good old Juno days of AW.

I've known how it works for 20 years.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.