Cubemaps wanted

AdamZadig

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1021 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone, 

I'm looking to purchase some hi resolution cubemap textures for use with my skyboxes.

I cannot find any on the marketplace and the only ones online were sky only. 

I'm looking for CITY LANDSCAPE SKYLINES but must be cubemaps. 

Any help would be massively appreciated. 

Adamzadig

SL doesn't support textures over 1024 x 1024 at present, though there has been some talk of this being pushed to 2048 x 2048 again - and of course, existing textures of this size that were uploaded back when it was possible, retain that format. So, 1024 x 1024 is as high a resolution as you may get, for now.

This, seeing as a cubemap is split in 4 on the horizontal and 3 on the vertical (usually), means that each face is going to get 256 x 256 - which is going to look very blurry if you put it on a face larger than, well - certainly anything large enough to encapsulate a skybox. At that point, if you want as much resolution as possible, you'd be better off facing each direction of the box separately and use 6 textures; although this would of course be adverse to every rule of texture optimization. You could also partition your faces, if they're mesh, and make several faces within each face, take a high resolution picture and partition that into as many quadrants, and puzzle them together - but that would be some proper evil genius shenanigans in SL terms.

If you want windows in your skybox, with a backdrop of a skyline, I would suggest building a miniature box around each window, or simply put a plain face a short distance outside of each one - that way you'll use smaller textures and surfaces, i.e. less rendering, and pick as generic a skyline texture as you can find and use the same texture for at least every window on each side of the build, to save yourself some texture data. 

5 minutes ago, Orwar said:

SL doesn't support textures over 1024 x 1024 at present, though there has been some talk of this being pushed to 2048 x 2048 again - and of course, existing textures of this size that were uploaded back when it was possible, retain that format. So, 1024 x 1024 is as high a resolution as you may get, for now.

This, seeing as a cubemap is split in 4 on the horizontal and 3 on the vertical (usually), means that each face is going to get 256 x 256 - which is going to look very blurry if you put it on a face larger than, well - certainly anything large enough to encapsulate a skybox. At that point, if you want as much resolution as possible, you'd be better off facing each direction of the box separately and use 6 textures; although this would of course be adverse to every rule of texture optimization. You could also partition your faces, if they're mesh, and make several faces within each face, take a high resolution picture and partition that into as many quadrants, and puzzle them together - but that would be some proper evil genius shenanigans in SL terms.

If you want windows in your skybox, with a backdrop of a skyline, I would suggest building a miniature box around each window, or simply put a plain face a short distance outside of each one - that way you'll use smaller textures and surfaces, i.e. less rendering, and pick as generic a skyline texture as you can find and use the same texture for at least every window on each side of the build, to save yourself some texture data. 

No!!! The textures are individual 2048x2048 pictures, she mesh box is split in to 7 texture faces. 6 on the inside and one for the outside. 

The idea is to find a cubemap which is huge so that I can split it up in to 6 individual textures 

Edited by AdamZadig
More info

1 minute ago, AdamZadig said:

No!!! The textures are individual 2048x2048 pictures, she mesh box is split in to 7 texture faces. 6 on the inside and one for the outside. 

Oh, I didn't know 2048 x 2048 textures had been re-implemented already. That's awesome. And horrifying. 

In that case, you'll want a stock photo that's at least 8,192 x 6,144, cutting it into cubemap components is easily done. There are several sites that offer free stock photos in various resolution options, with 'fair use' rules to them (always check the IP of textures you upload into SL with the purpose of selling - some of them will want you to put the source of the image within your product, i.e. a line in your note card stating 'backdrop texture curtsy of <website>').

The easiest way to browse is either to find a stock photo site, like Shutterstock, and search there - or if you're lazy as I am, just Google 'Skyline' and in the search tools, set the image size to whatever you need.

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Oh, I didn't know 2048 x 2048 textures had been re-implemented already. That's awesome. And horrifying. 

In that case, you'll want a stock photo that's at least 8,192 x 6,144, cutting it into cubemap components is easily done. There are several sites that offer free stock photos in various resolution options, with 'fair use' rules to them (always check the IP of textures you upload into SL with the purpose of selling - some of them will want you to put the source of the image within your product, i.e. a line in your note card stating 'backdrop texture curtsy of <website>').

The easiest way to browse is either to find a stock photo site, like Shutterstock, and search there - or if you're lazy as I am, just Google 'Skyline' and in the search tools, set the image size to whatever you need.

I can't find any city landscapes which are 360 panas 

can you?

1 minute ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

No they haven't.  The max texture size is still 1024×1024 pixels.

image.png.d3503e533b9d1b00b82a3bfb4af05aa9.png

No? Usually when I try to upload an image larger than 1024 x 1024, FS would just compress it - now it says it can't load a file larger than that.

3 minutes ago, AdamZadig said:

I can't find any city landscapes which are 360 panas 

can you?

Hm, I do see some, but Google's new image search interface - maybe with the help of the fact that Chrome is trying to open a 20,000 x 7,000 image which makes it freak out a little - makes them a little iffy to open... Actually, here's one that did, from Wikipedia: London_360_from_St_Paul's_Cathedral_-_Se

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1021 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.