Jump to content
AdamZadig

Complete 360 panoramic view texture?

Recommended Posts

There are HUDs to do it (search market Place for "Panoramic" - BUT there also is a new Project viewer from Linden Lab that allows you to take 360 degree snapshots with one click. Here is one I did:  

 

And you can see it at Flickr in VR format.

OMG I just noticed that SL Forums are auto-embedding and formatting 360 Pix HAHAHAHA

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

There are HUDs to do it (search market Place for "Panoramic" - BUT there also is a new Project viewer from Linden Lab that allows you to take 360 degree snapshots with one click. Here is one I did:  

 

And you can see it at Flickr in VR format.

OMG I just noticed that SL Forums are auto-embedding and formatting 360 Pix HAHAHAHA

 

thats not what im after. im looking for a real life city landscape panormic view that i can make a box with to put a skybox inside

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is showing the VR version - the "flat" version is what you want. But if you're looking for the cliche cityscape photograph that every other skybox creator uses your best bet is DiuckDuckGo or Google. Even Bing.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

It is showing the VR version - the "flat" version is what you want. But if you're looking for the cliche cityscape photograph that every other skybox creator uses your best bet is DiuckDuckGo or Google. Even Bing.

i think you not understand my question. i want to make a box which shows the complete panoramic view, 360 everywhere, sky and ground. but i have never done it before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AdamZadig said:

i think you not understand my question. i want to make a box which shows the complete panoramic view, 360 everywhere, sky and ground. but i have never done it before. 

So are you asking how to put a large sphere prim all around a skybox and texture the inside of it with a panoramic view of a city so that inside the skybox whichever way you turn you see a part of the city, ground, or sky? (A box will be much easier to texture but harder to actually hide the seams where the sides meet).

The easy part will be making the large hollow sphere, but the texturing is going to be complicated, because you are going to have to stitch together three separate panoramic views obtained as described by previous responders, ground, city, sky, and then get them onto the inside of a sphere.

My suggestion is you get one of the many texture grids available and put it on the inside of a large hollow sphere, then work out from there the divisions into which you are going to paste the panoramas for the ground, city and sky. You will need an image processing program such as Gimp, paint,net or Photoshop that can handle layers. The base later is the grid you have put into the inside of the sphere, and on three separate layers you add the ground, city and sky, using whatever distort transformations your graphics program supplies to get each panoramic view aligned with the areas on the grid that correspond to the right places on the inside of the sphere. Some pf these programs do not allow you to distort an individual layer (paint.net for example, where I usually end up copying the layer to s separate image, distorting it, then copying it back into a fresh layer and turning off the original layer).

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

So are you asking how to put a large sphere prim all around a skybox and texture the inside of it with a panoramic view of a city so that inside the skybox whichever way you turn you see a part of the city, ground, or sky? (A box will be much easier to texture but harder to actually hide the seams where the sides meet).

The easy part will be making the large hollow sphere, but the texturing is going to be complicated, because you are going to have to stitch together three separate panoramic views obtained as described by previous responders, ground, city, sky, and then get them onto the inside of a sphere.

My suggestion is you get one of the many texture grids available and put it on the inside of a large hollow sphere, then work out from there the divisions into which you are going to paste the panoramas for the ground, city and sky. You will need an image processing program such as Gimp, paint,net or Photoshop that can handle layers. The base later is the grid you have put into the inside of the sphere, and on three separate layers you add the ground, city and sky, using whatever distort transformations your graphics program supplies to get each panoramic view aligned with the areas on the grid that correspond to the right places on the inside of the sphere. Some pf these programs do not allow you to distort an individual layer (paint.net for example, where I usually end up copying the layer to s separate image, distorting it, then copying it back into a fresh layer and turning off the original layer).

nobody mentioned a sphere. always been a box lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to think outside the box. A sphere might be harder to make the initial texture for, but it will look better inside. However, if your skybox only had windows so the person inside is always going to be looking through what is effectively a viewport, you can simplify things a bit by working out what is going to be occluded from the viewport. For example, they are not going to be able to see down beneath their feet or up over their head because of the floor and ceiling, so you ,might get away with a texture on the inside of a hollow cylinder.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I like to think outside the box. A sphere might be harder to make the initial texture for, but it will look better inside. However, if your skybox only had windows so the person inside is always going to be looking through what is effectively a viewport, you can simplify things a bit by working out what is going to be occluded from the viewport. For example, they are not going to be able to see down beneath their feet or up over their head because of the floor and ceiling, so you ,might get away with a texture on the inside of a hollow cylinder.

again, thats not what im asking. im only asking about a cube. square box. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AdamZadig said:

thats not what im after. im looking for a real life city landscape panormic view that i can make a box with to put a skybox inside

I had to try too.
 

 

sl360_Lusk_4096x2048_10190427.jpg

Edited by bigmoe Whitfield
FIXED, DONT DELETE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

make a mesh cube in blender, in edit mode invert the normals, UV Map it. Apply textures you find with the search "cubemap"

Xild1.png.3df776f2ae5f522a2a8d235d58f9d3ec.png

Edited by Callum Meriman
added image
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

make a mesh cube in blender, in edit mode invert the normals, UV Map it. Apply textures you find with the search "cubemap"

Xild1.png.3df776f2ae5f522a2a8d235d58f9d3ec.png

Exactly what I was looking for THANK YOU!!. Found loads of Sky landsapes. Any idea where I can find City Landscape Cubemaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, AdamZadig said:

Any idea where I can find City Landscape Cubemaps?

As panoramas are easier to find,   https://jaxry.github.io/panorama-to-cubemap/  will convert many panoramas into a cubemap. Then search "city 360 panorama". It wil need a bit of work, but the result can be great. This site http://360gigapixels.com/nyc-skyline-photo-panorama/ will let you buy them, but it's good to practice on free ones first. There are a lot.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

As panoramas are easier to find,   https://jaxry.github.io/panorama-to-cubemap/  will convert many panoramas into a cubemap. Then search "city 360 panorama". It wil need a bit of work, but the result can be great. This site http://360gigapixels.com/nyc-skyline-photo-panorama/ will let you buy them, but it's good to practice on free ones first. There are a lot.

Thanks Callum, I’ve always needed this info, had no clue a converter was out there!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 6:33 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Thanks Callum, I’ve always needed this info, had no clue a converter was out there!

Why is nobody selling cubemaps on the marketplace? Theyre amazing for skyboxes and theres none on there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AdamZadig said:

Why is nobody selling cubemaps on the marketplace? Theyre amazing for skyboxes and theres none on there.

 

Just guessing: Because you can buy “domed” skyboxes and textures for those which are essentially much better. I forget what they are called,  but I have several. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×