Wrong busy response??/

BellaRosa Sierot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 minutes ago, BellaRosa Sierot said:

I contacted a friend today, and when I did, the busy message I received was from an entirely different avatar.  Now, they say they do not have an alt so my question is, is this at all possible that a busy response from an entirely different avatar could come up when I say hello.  

Thanks!

The only thing I can think of that would legitimately cause this is if they changed their display name and you have your viewer set only to show display names instead of display and/or usernames. However, if you subsequently talked to them and the 'other avatar name' didn't show up as their name then it's a bit of a puzzle.

I do recall, many years ago, that there was an occasional rumoured bug where some people received IMs intended for others. Whether that actually happened (or is happening now) was - at the time - only hearsay rather than established fact. (ie: Someone knew someone who knew someone it had happened to.)

Edited by Skell Dagger

19 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

The only thing I can think of that would legitimately cause this is if they changed their display name and you have your viewer set only to show display names instead of display and/or usernames. However, if you subsequently talked to them and the 'other avatar name' didn't show up as their name then it's a bit of a puzzle.

I do recall, many years ago, that there was an occasional rumoured bug where some people received IMs intended for others. Whether that actually happened (or is happening now) was - at the time - only hearsay rather than established fact. (ie: Someone knew someone who knew someone it had happened to.)

Well... now you know someone who it did happen to. Me.

It's only happened a couple of times in the past 14 years though. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.