what is a Good Complexity for jewelry?

lord4571

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, im just wondering what is a good complexity for jewelry in sl thats made from mesh. ive that people try to keep their own complexity under 100,000 at least, but im over that benchmark because of 2 or more items that have, what seems to be, a bad complexity score. is it normal for jewelry to be extremely high? what is a good score for items such as jewelry, hair, clothing and other things?

That is a loaded question, to me at least it is.  I have been in SL over 13 years and this complexity thing is about the only thing I really do not understand at all.  Simply because the complexity changes according to the different avatars around you.  So it is incredibly difficult to control.  We as individuals can do what we can to decrease our own complexity readings, but a lot of doing that requires us to not wear items and clothing we would like to.  Unfortunately, we sacrifice appearance in favour of maintaining complexity levels.  I would imagine it is very hard to make jewelry look nice and keep within good complexity readings.  Perhaps someone else here would be able to give you exact figures for this.. I know I sure couldn't. 

There's lots of mesh jewelry out these days with low complexity. Be sure to demo the jewelry before you buy it and check how much the jewelry raises your complexity. Keep in mind that the it's been determined that the method for determining complexity for rigged mesh seems to be unreliable. It's my opinion that while the numbers may be borked I can still do my best to keep my numbers down.

• Like 1

When I cleaned out my inventory recently (and my alts) I keep the complexity floating text ON to see the changes. Some were huge and those items got tossed.

I CAN tell you that the there is a 5,000 tris limit in SANSAR for accessories (many are jewelry),  IF you want to rig the item you can go to 8,000.  

It is tricky getting things that "light" I agree but somewhere between 5,000 and 20,000 would be good. Use textures to make a bunch of the details. Honestly anyone getting THAT close to see the difference is either a stalker or a honey who isn't all that interested in the jewelry anyway. 

IMO

I make mesh jewelry. I try to keep my ring sets at 5k or less. While I make jewelry, I also buy a lot of jewelry, because well I love jewelry. I can tell you I won't wear any one piece of jewelry that's more than 5k. But I also keep my total complexity around 50k - 70k. And even with that low a number I still usually have several rings on, earrings, and a necklace along with my mesh clothing, shoes, hair, mesh body and head. I don't have any trouble being fully accessorized and keeping my ARC low.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1

I generally try to keep my avatar complexity around 50k when I'm 'out and about', and with as few scripts as possible - when I do photos, I don't much care about complexity though. I usually have my avatar complexity limit set to 60k or 100k depending on what I'm doing - people who go beyond that, I consider it their issue more than mine whether they appear as jelly blobs. If I grow tired of seeing jelly blobs it's up to my current FPS whether I render them fully or derender them manually. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.