Distorted Mesh

Marianna Monentes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am having issues with my mesh jewelry uploading properly.  As you can see, in the Upload window the shape is true and correct, however, when it uploads it comes in huge and distorted.  Do you know what would be causing this?   My jewelry loads properly in opensim worlds, it comes in exactly the same as the Upload Viewer shows.

thank you ❤️

Mia puffed up this is how it uploads.PNG

SL upload in Viewer.PNG

Edited by Marianna Monentes

If one of the axis sizes is less than 1 cm, that axis size will be capped to 1 cm, which is the smallest dimension an object can have in any direction. Basically, your ring thickness is not thick enough.

On a side note: don't you think that 68460 triangles just for a ring is an overly excessive polycount?

• Like 1

Thank you

54 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

If one of the axis sizes is less than 1 cm, that axis size will be capped to 1 cm, which is the smallest dimension an object can have in any direction. Basically, your ring thickness is not thick enough.

On a side note: don't you think that 68460 triangles just for a ring is an overly excessive polycount?

Thank you, poly count is high yes, I have seen higher in shoes, and mesh bodies though.  It only uploads in SL like this, no other worlds so  I am thinking it has more to do with the Operating System that LL uses.  

1 minute ago, Marianna Monentes said:

I have seen higher in shoes, and mesh bodies though

This doesn't mean it's really OK to go the same. A full body is a more complex and bigger on screen type of shape than a ring. Also shoes are bigger and more complex shapes. The issue is actually in where those meshes come from: they were made for rendering, not for realtime environments like SL or any other game.

4 minutes ago, Marianna Monentes said:

It only uploads in SL like this, no other worlds so  I am thinking it has more to do with the Operating System that LL uses.  

Nope, it's your object. the "Operating System" has nothing to do with how an object is constructed, it uploads and displays the content of a file it is being fed by the user. You may want to go back to your 3D app and check whether there is a smoothing modifier attached to it. Blender calls it "subsurf" or "subdivision surface",, 3DSMax "turbosmooth" and Maya just "smooth". Depending on the settings, the export procedure may apply such smoothing to the exported model while not showing in your software's view.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

This doesn't mean it's really OK to go the same. A full body is a more complex and bigger on screen type of shape than a ring. Also shoes are bigger and more complex shapes. The issue is actually in where those meshes come from: they were made for rendering, not for realtime environments like SL or any other game.

Nope, it's your object. the "Operating System" has nothing to do with how an object is constructed, it uploads and displays the content of a file it is being fed by the user. You may want to go back to your 3D app and check whether there is a smoothing modifier attached to it. Blender calls it "subsurf" or "subdivision surface",, 3DSMax "turbosmooth" and Maya just "smooth". Depending on the settings, the export procedure may apply such smoothing to the exported model while not showing in your software's view.

Yes I agree, I will create lower poly, thank you for your tip about the 3D APP, it is Rhino, it does have subsurf, thank you, on all replies, you have been really helpful.

To prevent a small object from distorting like this, you can add an invisible face to your mesh object so the bounding box becomes large enough in all directions. Just add a face and move it away along the axis of the ring's thinnest section. Then shrink the face along one axis so it s just a line ( for example S - x - 0), and upload again. (If you use a decimate modifier for your lower LODs, make sure that it still remains a face and is not reduced to one or two vertices). Alternatively you can give it a texture and just make it transparent after the upload.

blender_2019-01-15_08-38-25.png.4547a750331df0244598446ef15fe23e.png

I needed to make a little piece of chain for a project, however it's a little smaller than 1cm in one of the dimensions so it would get deformed. Plus it would be hard for users to adjust it.

blender_2019-01-15_08-38-50.png.e2b141a436a7fde25f61fa4eac898780.png

So what I did was to create two single triangles, scale them to 0 and put them in a "bottom/left/front bottom/right/back" configuration to effectively make the object much larger.

0.075*0.075*0.075 instead of 0.005*0.005*0.029

It's much better for the end user because now they can shrink it more to fit a smaller avatar for example, and because i've set all the other parts to have the same dimensions, they all LOD at the same time, which gives more control when creating the different lod meshs should look like.

blender_2019-01-15_08-48-11.png.400a4dfa8c858f86c27d2dc753713a20.png

For anyone interested, the lod models I created for this. I did not make the lowest one because at that distance it's basically invisible.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.