How can I make my avatar DANCE?

Sandra8675

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have searched for this answer on google, this site and youtube...  I'm not finding anything.

One club I was at I simple double clicked on the area and she started dancing.  That was the last time that worked.  

I'm largely interested in dancing.  

Is there an easy way to make my avatar dance? 

Please explain in a way that a very new beginner person to SL can understand who has little knowledge of SL terms used, etc.

Dances are animations, and there are various ways to animate your avatar. Most clubs have dance balls; when you click these, they will either rez a poseball in front of you, or ask for permission to animate your avatar - and then offer a menu of dances to select from. Another common method is to have a dance HUD, that you can put whichever dances you want into and play whenever you like. Some venues also have 'dance pads', which you sit on to dance. 

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Dances are animations, and there are various ways to animate your avatar. Most clubs have dance balls; when you click these, they will either rez a poseball in front of you, or ask for permission to animate your avatar - and then offer a menu of dances to select from. Another common method is to have a dance HUD, that you can put whichever dances you want into and play whenever you like. Some venues also have 'dance pads', which you sit on to dance. 

My avatar did dance one time before at a club.  Would I still have that file somewhere in my history so I can make her dance like that again?  Or, once she stops dancing there is no more?

Just now, Sandra8675 said:

My avatar did dance one time before at a club.  Would I still have that file somewhere in my history so I can make her dance like that again?  Or, once she stops dancing there is no more?

Probably not - the dance balls/pads have the animations inside of them, and never really were inside of your computer as a file. You can purchase dances at many animation stores in SL, and there are a variety of HUDs to use them with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandra8675 said:

I have searched for this answer on google, this site and youtube...  I'm not finding anything.

One club I was at I simple double clicked on the area and she started dancing.  That was the last time that worked.  

Please explain in a way that a very new beginner person to SL can understand who has little knowledge of SL terms used, etc.

If you're in a club they usually have a "dance ball" - possibly more than one. It's an object you click, and it will pop up a dialog box asking if you want to give it permission to animate you. (Sometimes the permission request gets hidden in a little envelope icon in the corner of your screen - click the envelope icon to see it.)

When you click the "Yes" button in that dialog box there will be a menu that will have various names of dances. Pick one that sounds interesting and your avatar will start doing that dance. Clicking the dance ball again will bring up the menu again so you can change dances.

Feel free to ask at the club where to find the dance ball, etc. - most clubs have hosts who should be able to help.

• Like 2

Here is an example of dance balls, it is one red to the left, for female dances, one rainbow colored for couples that looks like two bubbles together, and one blue for male dances.

The single animation dance balls here has the text "move" on them. The couple dance balls has the floating text over. If you will dance with a partner, you click the couple dance ball and it will send 2 colored balls in front of you. They are usually very oldfashioned colored with pink for the female and blue for the male. You "sit" on the pink and your Beau "sit" on the blue. You will both get a pop-up window that asks for permission to animate your avatar. You will not dance before you click "yes". Danceballs have many dances, click on it again to get up the menu if you will change dance.

Notice how small the dancers under are. The dance balls are placed really high up in this club.

dance_001.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little

Jasonbodylanguage has some free dances on the Marketplace, and people like them enough to leave glowing reviews. To be honest, some can let alts buy things and leave reviews, but this looks genuine. And since they are free, the worst you risk is that you don't like them.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/178868?utf8=✓&search[layout]=gallery&search[category_id]=&search[sort]=price_asc&search[per_page]=96&search[keywords]=&search[price_low]=&search[price_high]=&search[land_impact_low]=&search[land_impact_high]=&search[copy_permission]=0&search[modify_permission]=0&search[transfer_permission]=0

After you put them in your cart and will check out, make sure that you scroll down to the bottom of the page and find a new "place your order" tab. Those who have only freebies in their cart, must always scroll down a page with ads before they can empty the cart and get the items delivered in their inventory.

On 1/9/2019 at 12:19 PM, Sandra8675 said:

See my blog post, "Shall We Dance?"

19 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

If you have Firestorm instead of buying a dance HUD, just buy the dances you want and put them into a Firestorm AO under the 'standing' category.

- lag free, and works even in no script areas.

I am new.  What is the most easy direct way I can get to firestorm?

12 minutes ago, Sandra8675 said:

I am new.  What is the most easy direct way I can get to firestorm?

Sandra, with the kindest of intentions, I advise the following:

I would strongly suggest that you not try using Firestorm just yet. While it's the viewer of choice for many users in SL, it has a hell of a lot more options and is what you might call a bit more of a "power user's viewer" than the default Linden Lab viewer. Given that you've been asking many questions in this forum about the absolute basics of SL, I don't think that Firestorm is the right viewer for you at the moment. Once you get more to grips with SL and how it works, then that would be the time to make the jump to Firestorm. Right now, I think that Firestorm could possibly only add to the confusion you're experiencing as you understand how SL and avatars within SL work.

Case in point: you replied to a post about using the Firestorm AO. There's a tutorial on YouTube that explains how to load and use that AO. It's three videos long. Are you truly ready for that?

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Sandra, with the kindest of intentions, I advise the following:

I would strongly suggest that you not try using Firestorm just yet. While it's the viewer of choice for many users in SL, it has a hell of a lot more options and is what you might call a bit more of a "power user's viewer" than the default Linden Lab viewer. Given that you've been asking many questions in this forum about the absolute basics of SL, I don't think that Firestorm is the right viewer for you at the moment. Once you get more to grips with SL and how it works, then that would be the time to make the jump to Firestorm. Right now, I think that Firestorm could possibly only add to the confusion you're experiencing as you understand how SL and avatars within SL work.

Case in point: you replied to a post about using the Firestorm AO. There's a tutorial on YouTube that explains how to load and use that AO. It's three videos long. Are you truly ready for that?

thank you for sharing this info.  Many people have suggested I use firestorm because its 'better.'  But, I did not know it was more options for advanced users.  I will wait as you suggest.  Same reason I won't change to a mesh body right now,.  Its just too much right now when I'm trying to get used to the basics.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.