iamyourneighbour

Those 'meshers for hire'

Has anyone actually came across any custom mesher that does not scream total scam?

Most of the 'meshers' on forum has a first name plus a few random numbers, has no payment info. I offer them to invoice with real cash for double payment via PayPal they would still decline. Some of them don't even know what .obj files are and their portfolio is made up of low res screenshot on flickr. So when those types ask for payment upfront I don't even bother replying.

Is there a group or external forum that has more reliable meshers for hire? 

I've long since given up on a meshing career, it takes too much time and effort and I'm not good enough to do complex stuff. I offer to do projects that I feel confident I can manage, and I generally don't have an asking price; I'll work for tips usually.

I enjoy geometry and mathematics, so if you need a building component I can easily make it (I do have RL experience as a carpenter, which helps with such!) - but if you want a mesh flower with natural shapes... Not so much my thing.

Don't know about any groups, but if you want anything specific you can post in the Wanted section - and once you've gotten acquainted with a mesher who you feel is up to snuff, well, why look for another for your next thing? I've got my go-to scripter to help me with that, since I don't know anything about it. 

• Like 1

They are few and far between and those I have personally be able to hire in the past either breached our agreement or failed to deliver fully on the work they were supposed to do.

As far as groups are concerned, they don't really exist. Most accomplished meshers don't do custom work because it costs them more money in the long run to do that than to supply products to either a store they're working for or their own vendor.

6 hours ago, Secondary Lionheart said:

Most accomplished meshers don't do custom work because it costs them more money in the long run

There are other business models though. If you want a piece of mesh that is both full perm and exclusive to yourself, yes, expect to cough up something pretty close to an actual wage by hour of work - but if you just want something, and it's something others could use, then letting the mesher be the one to sell it full perm where you just pay a commission fee, or just at all not going for 'the most accomplished' but rather someone who shows promise and ambition with their work - you can get away without selling your bento spleen. 

Then again, not long ago there was a post by someone who was looking to do mesh for SL, who had a very impressive resume including some pretty prestigious triple-A title games... So you -can- get that, too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Then again, not long ago there was a post by someone who was looking to do mesh for SL, who had a very impressive resume including some pretty prestigious triple-A title games... So you -can- get that, too.  

When we were last looking to hire someone, we had similar candidates who were overqualified for the work we were asking for. One was a college professor who taught 3D architecture and design.

I am available to do custom mesh depending on the pay and content. You can message me in world, notecard please. Send examples and the rates you pay. My store is Mesh Craft.

Thank you

Situation is the same on the other side. Difficult for a proper mesher with experience to find reliable clients with enough funds. Above a level, a good mesher only works for real wage and it is out of the budget for the casual user. Most commonly only store owners can afford to hire an extra mesher for themselves.

• Like 1

There is a reasonably large supply of mesh models available on the internet for purchase via credit card or paypal.  Just google up phrases  like collada files for sale, blender files for sale, 3ds max files for sale, maya max files for sale, 3d model files for sale.  

1 hour ago, Erwin Solo said:

There is a reasonably large supply of mesh models available on the internet for purchase via credit card or paypal.  Just google up phrases  like collada files for sale, blender files for sale, 3ds max files for sale, maya max files for sale, 3d model files for sale.  

Note that MANY of those are not "game asset" (low poly) mesh. Some are even made for magazine aricle renders (oh my) so unless you know how to optimize the mesh OR get enough info from the site so you have an idea of a poly count ==== that isn't the best option. 

To the OP of a few months back @iamyourneighbour :D.  I would suggest looking up full perm mesh creators on the marketplace.  See what they make and if you like it look in their profiles to see if they do custom work. As said above, many creators do not (full perm or retailers) but some do. I would THINK you best bet would be the full perm guys. 

And re the Paypal thing. Lots of folks don't give out their Paypal info for privacy reason. While you CAN have an address for your avatar that goes to your real life Paypal account (I have one and it is legal as I talked through a customer rep who helped me set it up), most folks don't have that or want to go to the trouble of GETTING that LOL.  So that part of your post isn't a surprise for me. 

Unless someone that advertises in the forums has an inworld store where you can check the LODs and poly count, I would steer clear. 

On 1/11/2019 at 11:47 AM, lachannCraft said:

I am available

I hope your skills are better than you understand not to advertise in a discussion.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

There is a reasonably large supply of mesh models available on the internet for purchase

Buying various mesh from different sources won't make the work coherent. Different modelling styles, textures, shading. One of the most important thing of content creation is to stay consistent, which stock models will just blow. Plus as said above, they are mostly not optimized for SL.

• Like 3

On 4/15/2019 at 5:53 PM, Crias Rowlands said:

Buying various mesh from different sources won't make the work coherent. Different modelling styles, textures, shading. One of the most important thing of content creation is to stay consistent, which stock models will just blow. Plus as said above, they are mostly not optimized for SL.

And further than that, most 3d modelling websites do not allow their items to be brought into and sold in Second Life. In fact, many of them stipulate No Second Life.

• Thanks 1

SL meshes are kinda specific...
- keeping it lowprim + kinda unfair LI counting for well optimized mesh for all LODS
- u need to manually do and upload 4 lowpoly meshes and 1 boundary mesh for literally each object, I bet many creators not bother and just upload 1 mesh without proper LODs
- texture limitations and need of use of overlapping UVs when u need more textures on each object, which makes it pain in the ass in any 3D painting software

Workflow is more annoying than props for real 3D engines with proper materials like Unity or Unreal. Sometimes it takes me week or more to do good item or pack for sell and that effort is paid by enough sales through the time (or not, if it does not match buyers taste).

I would not do custom mesh for hire, unless I would see a potential that more ppl would actually find it useful and eager to buy it, plus I would have extra time, which I ussualy don't have because SL+RL work and life. So I would say many of them are scammers or ppl without job (how come good mesher is not busy with his work) and to pick some honest ones will be not easy, although they sure exist.

I introduced SL to some of my friends in same field and once they realized, that workflow is completely different, and SL prices, they were like nah, it's not for me.