SL Moving Forward .. The Forgotten Fundamentals

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Preamble:

I'm a non-Premium, non-land owning, non-selling resident of Second Life so my negligible impact in-world is essentially irrelevant. I'm nothing more than an ant nibbling on whatever available SL resources it takes in order to render my little body in-world and keep tabs of my inventory.

I'm just a basic consumer, a user. My one redeeming feature is that I have payment information setup on my account, just one tiny step up from pond-life.

My opinion, and the opinion of my peers (and those one rung beneath me) is worthless to Linden Lab.

- - -
Get on with it, you stupid girl!

Ok, this is what I'm trying to say ..
- - -

Upcoming features, new things in the pipeline, what's next for SL? .. etc..

- Baked-on-mesh - sounds decent (if I hadn't already deleted inventory I thought I'd never need, or use, again).
- Animesh - just arrived. Not interested
- Marketplace improvements - recent. Wishlist = excellent!
- Physics - cheap, nasty, and embarrassing. I never use it.

Where is the suggestion box?  Where does this committee reside?  Who on earth comes up with this stuff?! 

Running before they can walk, literally ..

- - -

The Forgotten Fundamentals.

How about improving some of the basic things in SL, such as AVATAR MOVEMENT.

Walking:  I'm embarrassed to walk. Skimming along like a speed-skater. It's like watching someone on a travelator at the airport who is moving faster than their feet and legs can carry them. A reverse moonwalk. Never mind the walking AO, I've never found one that even comes close to matching my speed and strides.

Turning:  Rotating in eight clumsy stages to complete on revolution. How ungainly.

- - -

A complete standing turn in 32 segments, not 8.  2 or 3-speed walks, not just super-walk and run.

We can all make ourselves look fabulous, still images can look amazing, but the real in-world movement is tragically awful. It still feels like 2005.

Come on .. Focus on the basics before spending more time and resources on the fancy stuff!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

LOL. It sounds to me like you need a better AO.   

There actually IS a place where you can request "betterment". I believe it is called the JIRA.  :D.

The JIRA for resident use didn't exist prior to 2007 when LL decided to use JIRA as a bug tracker. Some of us have been residents longer than that.

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/archives/linden_lab_sele

January 10, 2007

•  
  •  
  •  

Linden Lab, makers of the virtual reality game Second Life, called us late last week to tell us they wanted to use Jira as their community issue tracker for their new open source ‘Viewer’ project. We were thrilled to hear it.
While most Jira customers use the application for bug tracking, many, including Linden Lab, use Jira to manage other business-related tasks. For over a year, Linden Lab has leveraged Jira internally as a collaboration and knowledge sharing tool between employees, making it perhaps the most interesting use case of Jira that we’ve come across. The full case study is available here.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

LOL. It sounds to me like you need a better AO.   

My post was primarily an exacerbation of frustration borne from years of looking ridiculous whenever I (we) move. If nothing else, I felt better for getting it off my pixelated bosom :D

I've spent thousands on AO's over the years. Not just complete AO HUD setups, but literally 100's of individual animations of varying types from a myriad of animation stores, culminating in days and days of collective demo'ing in the hope that things can be made better. 

As I stand there in SL, not moving, I look fine and dandy as my avatar goes through the motions of its few animations which I find useable out of the many I possess.

The problem/irritation occurs the moment I touch, even for a fraction of a second, any of my arrow keys. My avatar does the SL-shuffle and all the coolness evaporates. It has nothing to do with AOs, turn anims, walk anims, or any other animation I could add to the array of AO HUDs at my disposal. It is the dreadfully limited ability to move or turn, just slightly, with a little grace, without looking like I'm having spasms.

Just tired of all the 'upgrades' while the absolute basics are either ignored or forgotten.

Edited by Candice LittleBoots
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The JIRA is for reporting bugs.  Suggestions for improvements go here: https://support.secondlife.com/suggestions/?lang=en

Suggestions are actually entered into the JIRA now as 'new feature requests'.

That link even sends you to the JIRA instructions now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/8/2019 at 8:22 PM, Candice LittleBoots said:

My post was primarily an exacerbation of frustration borne from years of looking ridiculous whenever I (we) move. If nothing else, I felt better for getting it off my pixelated bosom :D

I've spent thousands on AO's over the years. Not just complete AO HUD setups, but literally 100's of individual animations of varying types from a myriad of animation stores, culminating in days and days of collective demo'ing in the hope that things can be made better. 

As I stand there in SL, not moving, I look fine and dandy as my avatar goes through the motions of its few animations which I find useable out of the many I possess.

The problem/irritation occurs the moment I touch, even for a fraction of a second, any of my arrow keys. My avatar does the SL-shuffle and all the coolness evaporates. It has nothing to do with AOs, turn anims, walk anims, or any other animation I could add to the array of AO HUDs at my disposal. It is the dreadfully limited ability to move or turn, just slightly, with a little grace, without looking like I'm having spasms.

Just tired of all the 'upgrades' while the absolute basics are either ignored or forgotten.

She's right. Movement control in SL sucks. Animations run at a constant speed; they don't respond to the user. You can use a joystick, but it doesn't help much. This was OK in 2006 or so, but it's not OK any more.

This is important when a new user says it. SL has lots of new users. About 8,000 a day, according to LL's claimed signup stats. Almost all of them leave immediately.

LL is used to way too forgiving a user base. We need to get angry more often. Look at the Sansar reviews on Steam. Over there, things get fixed. Publicity helps.

Filing a JIRA is not very effective. I have six pending:

• BUG-226061 Pathfinding failing and not calling path_update event, or reporting false success - relatively new.
  • BUG-226050 Can't comment on existing bugs in JIRA even though account has the commentor privilege. - JIRA itself is broken.
  • BUG-225654 Obsolete object update formats? - Internal technical issue in viewer from some legacy code
  • BUG-225450 Potential buffer overflow in llviewerobject.cpp - another internal technical issue
  • BUG-216474 llGetParcelFlags info insufficient to tell if ban line present since 2017 - a change back in 2017 made it impossible to tell if you're about to hit a ban line
  • BUG-214653 After half-unsit at failed region crossing on vehicle due to network lag, "Unsit" button will not work. - the main region crossing bug report
  • BUG-139302 Stuck below sidewalk after sinking through - request for some mole work

All report clear defects, all were "accepted", but none have been fixed.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.