Has there been any update on project ARCTan?

Kyrah Abattoir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

54 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Yikes don't tell me they abandoned?

they already semi abandoned BoM and dispatched the responsible Linden to fix the Hoverheight bug... would not be too suprising if they postponed this one too.

Edited by Fionalein

As far as I know, Arctan hasn't been abandoned.
It's probably going to get a lot of internal testing before it gets anywhere near the main grid.

The hover height bug was caused by BOM (well, the server end bake service changes).BOM hasn't been abandoned.

• Like 1

In the content creator meeting on Thursday Vir said Arctan is still on the list, but nobody is active on it (prolly cos Graham is focussed on EEP)

BOM is not abandoned at all, the reason Anchor is working on the hover height bug is because it was cauised by bake server changes for BOM. Anchor has now fixed that bug and you should see it rolling out in the coming weeks.

Edited by Beq Janus
  • Like 2

On 1/12/2019 at 2:35 PM, Beq Janus said:

BOM is not abandoned at all, the reason Anchor is working on the hover height bug is because it was cauised by bake server changes for BOM. Anchor has now fixed that bug and you should see it rolling out in the coming weeks.

Speaking of which....hover height bug should be fixed now

https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/95ylzcn80mp1

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Pierre Ceriano said:

Sorry to bother but, for the ones not following that specific project, what an arctan mesh is ? To resume.

Thank you the community

Nothing you didn't see yet. The Project was about re-evaluating land impact and complexity calculations. It will change LI costs and complexity ratings of existing things, not add new possibilities.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

A whole mess of projects on hold or in progress is pretty standard for viewer dev these days, TPV groups aren't much different.

ARCTan is almost certainly waiting for BoM ... and as projects go, new shiny will always take priority over new ways for us to bicker about who brought the lag.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

... and as projects go, new shiny will always take priority

That's right but i don't really want to criticise LL for that for two reasons. One is that they need to deliver a constant stream of new shinies to keep the interest of the users and potential users. Under-the-hood improvements may be more important in the long run but they don't show up on the bottom line right away.

The other reason is that ARCTan is a project that should take awhile. It's a complicated issue and they have to get it right. The worst thing they can do, is to hastily implement a flawed new resouce accounting system.

• 4 months later...
15 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Looks like it's back on track, in great secrecy~

It's been discussed at Creator User Group recently. Vir Linden said that data collection code had been added to try to correlate complexity with lag. Further action is waiting on data. The hard problem seems to be how to change the rules without breaking existing content.

32 minutes ago, animats said:

It's been discussed at Creator User Group recently. Vir Linden said that data collection code had been added to try to correlate complexity with lag. Further action is waiting on data. The hard problem seems to be how to change the rules without breaking existing content.

Yeah that's what I ment. They don't want my solutions :)

4 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

eh?

Never mind. Bad joke.

Then again, there is no lag or load failure or prim limits or collapsing LoD models in RL. There are some bugs of course: no tp, you're pretty much stuck with your starter avi and if you try to fly, you're likely to crash. But if we could merge the RL and SL software and get the best of both worlds...

Edited by ChinRey
  • Haha 2

On 10/5/2019 at 7:55 AM, ChinRey said:

Never mind. Bad joke.

Then again, there is no lag or load failure or prim limits or collapsing LoD models in RL. There are some bugs of course: no tp, you're pretty much stuck with your starter avi and if you try to fly, you're likely to crash. But if we could merge the RL and SL software and get the best of both worlds...

I want this.  I want to derender the electric pylon in my view of my mountain!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

While ArcTan (and I did enough Math at school to wonder what they were smoking when they picked the name) might be worthwhile, if only creators paid any attention for complexity, I was trying to check on what the current calculation for display-weight/complexity is, and I am pretty sure there are changes that have come through from somewhere. Nothing disastrous, but I find it hard to trust the documentation. For all I know, fixing a typo on the page gets the same reporting as changing a limit or a formula.

• 2 years later...
On 10/31/2019 at 11:30 AM, arabellajones said:

While ArcTan (and I did enough Math at school to wonder what they were smoking when they picked the name) might be worthwhile, if only creators paid any attention for complexity, I was trying to check on what the current calculation for display-weight/complexity is, and I am pretty sure there are changes that have come through from somewhere. Nothing disastrous, but I find it hard to trust the documentation. For all I know, fixing a typo on the page gets the same reporting as changing a limit or a formula.

I agree with ArabellaJones on this one. Creators should optimize their meshes to help reduce lag. I understand wanting something beautiful and complex, but not all of us can afford 1,000,000 mbps internet or the top of the line hardware needed to render SL content remotely gloriously. I, personally, feel creators don't care about "the complexity thing" nor care about the lag it causes, for the sole reason that making these lagtastic contraptions pays their bills.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.