What are some of the disadvantages of living in a free society?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 1/9/2019 at 2:21 AM, Orwar said:

England is Center-Right

Idk about that. Government and policy wise that's maybe what they want you to think. In terms of actuality and what actually goes on here and your general living experience it varies and spends a good portion of its time hanging out on the centre left to far left side of life. Our government portrays one thing but in reality had no idea which side of the line they fall on.

1 hour ago, Ichi Rexen said:

Idk about that. Government and policy wise that's maybe what they want you to think. In terms of actuality and what actually goes on here and your general living experience it varies and spends a good portion of its time hanging out on the centre left to far left side of life. Our government portrays one thing but in reality had no idea which side of the line they fall on.

The Conservative and Unionist Party has a center-right root ideology, thus me referring to the sitting English government as 'center-right', flavours come and go as frequently as politicians. Politicians saying one thing and doing another, well, that's universal - hence all the jokes about finding 'an honest politician'.

It's the same thing in Sweden, although currently we don't have a sitting government because... roughly 40% voted left (Social-democrats, Green party and, unofficially, the communist party) and 40% voted right (Conservatives, Christian-democrats, Center party & People's party) - and 20% voted for the 'scary populist nazis' which means that neither side can get a majority without supporting an opposing ideology. Still, the majority of Swedes, including much of the 'conservatives', fall in the social-democratic political spectrum; a reason that party has lost voters to the right is that they've become progressively social-liberal and stopped saying 'a strong government with good healthcare, infrastructure and defense is good for everyone' and instead say 'equality of outcome for everyone!', whilst the green party lost half their voters in the last election because they A) don't back up their politics with factual science and B) has very loudly declared themselves as feminists 'first and foremost', and people have gotten sick and tired of feminist politics. Heck, personally I'd go as far as to say that the 'populist nazis' have a more sound environmental politic than the Green party at this point.

Anyway, that's just our politicians being a bunch of babies. Still, we have a free society in as far as that I can do pretty much whatever I feel like, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. 

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

So...you disagree with the concept of free speech, I take it?

Oh, they changed the rules? Free speech is allowed in here now?

I was actually referring to the gratuitous slanders I've had to endure  from other people in here. 

In future I won't respond, I'll just report them.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff

On 1/9/2019 at 5:35 AM, Garnet Psaltery said:

Correction: the current Government is Tory, but the current right-think is Marxist.  We certainly haven't got free speech.

I don't want to say any more as I could get carted off to jail for saying the wrong thing.

Assuming you're in the UK, then unless you're intending to promote terrorism or incite racial or religious hatred, or hatred based on sexual orientation, or intending to defy a court order, I don't think you need to worry too much.

35 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Assuming you're in the UK, then unless you're intending to promote terrorism or incite racial or religious hatred, or hatred based on sexual orientation, or intending to defy a court order, I don't think you need to worry too much.

Well, that's one viewpoint.  People don't always agree on the criteria you cite.

4 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

LOL @ incite. That brush is so broad in Britain now. 

47 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
5 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

The brush is not broad, rather it's painting accurately and allowing us to clearly view what was always there.
In other words, I'll let a black person tell me what their oppression has been/is, and not you, a white male who gets off on riding around town with confederate flags all over their car.

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Yet we have remarkably few prosecutions for such offences.     That's possibly because the operative word isn't "incite."   It's "hatred," which is a much stronger term, and therefore a higher bar for the prosecution to reach, than "dislike" or "disapproval".   

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

The brush is not broad, rather it's painting accurately and allowing us to clearly view what was always there.
In other words, I'll let a black person tell me what their oppression has been/is, and not you, a white male who gets off on riding around town with confederate flags all over their car.

I'm a short, disabled female brought up as a Roman Catholic in the midst of Protestants, despised by my own class for not being true to type.  Oh, I'm also Heathen.  I claim 180,965 oppression points.  And what you said is racist and sexist.

Let this all be over soon.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

So what do you do when a Muslim bakery refuses to make gay wedding cakes then 👀 

In Sydney, Mascot they didn't but it only hit local news paper for one day. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.