How much of a shopaholic are you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 1/9/2019 at 5:29 AM, Ginger Shostakovich said:

I don't often shop shop unless I am looking for something specific, but I am a serial hunter / gift shopper (I was so annoyed that I was away for the better half of December! All the prezzies!), which often leads me to shops where I find other things I like which to buy.

(I saw the other day that have items in my inventory from Twisted hunts from a few years ago that I never even opened.)

me too!  I have a rule that I constantly break; I stop shopping in January until I've unpacked everything I bought last year.  I tend to throw all my new stuff into folders named with the month/year of purchase to be unpacked later.  I will break the rule if I see a particularly good sale, or something new that I just have to have, but then I will go back to my folders and work on unpacking.  I haven't done a whole twisted hunt in a while, I just hunt at my favorite stores now and skip to the end for the goodies. Before I got too busy, I used to use an alt to do the hunt and then after I unpacked I would go back and get any of the items that I especially like.  That way the alts inventory got filled up and mine stayed clean. The reward for my rule is when I'm all done catching up on the unpacking, I find I've accumulated a bunch of Lindens so I can run out and shop again.

• Like 1

I shop on those rare occasions when I think to myself, "Gee, this dress might look nice if I had blue shoes."  That doesn't happen often.  It's usually a sign that my brain is in idle mode, casting about for something mindless to do at the end of the day. Except during those times, I shop for things that I need for a specific occasion or to complete a project but can't make for myself.  I search for something specific, compare a few possibilities, buy one, and get on with life. That's the way I am in RL too.  Shopping isn't a recreational activity.  It's an occasional necessity.

I have a hard time shopping inworld because my computer is slow and I haven't finished saving up for an upgrade yet. Lately I've been looking around on the MP a lot because I'm furnishing an entire house and am only doing a little of it myself. It would take too long otherwise and I want to get it all up and running for role-playing.

As for clothes, I shop as I need them. A base set of good old classic clothes that look nice for everyday, and add on to that as situations come up.

On 1/9/2019 at 12:15 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I should like to say that I utterly condemn and detest the degree to which SL has become a kind of dystopian model of the ultimate Consumer State. This place seems, sometimes, to exist almost solely for the purpose of excessive consumption: here, it's not religion, but the shopping that is the opiate of the masses. Creators busy themselves producing the most utterly frivolous, banal, and unnecessary goods imaginable: no one "needs" clothing, or even a body, in a truly virtual world. And where no RL analogue exists, the Consumer society produces new imbecilities for us to purchase: here we can even buy hair, eyes, the style by which we move, and skin. And the entire racket is made all the more absurd by the fact that none of it actually exists, except as data on servers owned by someone else, whom we frequently pay for the privilege of accessing it.

I should like to say all that, but I can't, because I spent a good part of this evening trying to decide between two different hairstyles I liked, and ended up walking away with three.

This.  THIS!  This is the absolute, ultimate, most PERFECT POST EVER.

@Scylla Rhiadra Where would you like your Internet delivered?

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Thanks 2

On 1/9/2019 at 5:15 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I should like to say that I utterly condemn and detest the degree to which SL has become a kind of dystopian model of the ultimate Consumer State. This place seems, sometimes, to exist almost solely for the purpose of excessive consumption: here, it's not religion, but the shopping that is the opiate of the masses. Creators busy themselves producing the most utterly frivolous, banal, and unnecessary goods imaginable: no one "needs" clothing, or even a body, in a truly virtual world. And where no RL analogue exists, the Consumer society produces new imbecilities for us to purchase: here we can even buy hair, eyes, the style by which we move, and skin. And the entire racket is made all the more absurd by the fact that none of it actually exists, except as data on servers owned by someone else, whom we frequently pay for the privilege of accessing it.

I should like to say all that, but I can't, because I spent a good part of this evening trying to decide between two different hairstyles I liked, and ended up walking away with three.

The best post ever :)

• Thanks 2

On 1/8/2019 at 9:15 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well... you DID say it and it IS true. Not your fault you and so many others chase the White Rabbit down the hole.

Just because you are one of those caught up in that vicious cycle/circle doesn't mean you can't recognize it for what it is and speak up about it.

When you (general) let shopping take precedence over objectivity is when you need to worry.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Well... you DID say it and it IS true. Not your fault you and so many others chase the White Rabbit down the hole.

Just because you are one of those caught up in that vicious cycle/circle doesn't mean you can't recognize it for what it is and speak up about it.

When you (general) let shopping take precedence over objectivity is when you need to worry.

Well, at the risk over getting overly-serious in what is surely a pretty light-hearted thread . . .

Yeah, I think you're right.

We all of us have demons, some of them personal, and some inherited from our culture and upbringing. Most if not all of us are "secretly" racist, or sexist, or homophobic, or xenophobic, or consumerist, or whatever, to at least some degree. It's how we were brought up, or in our culture, or the result of that one "bad" experience we once had.

The trick, I think (and really I'm just restating what you say in your last two sentences) is to recognize those things in ourselves, and, while acknowledging them, fighting against the tendencies and behaviours that they might otherwise breed in us,  because we do, at some level, recognize that they are bad.

Real virtue, maybe, resides not in living a life where one is never tempted: it's easy to be virtuous where there is nothing to tempt one to a fall. Real virtue resides in resisting the temptation, and one's own worse self.

Sadly, however, in this instance, the Sins of Vanity and Avarice seem to have got the better of me. 😊

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Real virtue, maybe, resides not in living a life where one is never tempted: it's easy to be virtuous where there is nothing to tempt one to a fall. Real virtue resides in resisting the temptation, and one's own worse self.

That's it in a nutshell. 

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Sadly, however, in this instance, the Sins of Vanity and Avarice seem to have got the better of me. 😊

No harm has been done to anyone, except maybe your wallet, so you're good. :D

• Like 1

I seem to shop every week (usually for an outfit for a themed event I go to every weekend) but still my inventory is less than 30k. I suspect part of the reason, is the ruthless purge of all the rubbish system layer freebies I did when I went mesh.

My opinion is, as long as you're shopping within your means, there's no problem with it. It's certainly more fun shopping in SL than it is in RL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.