Kitten Kaos

Firestorm misrendering textures nearly constantly

Question

Posted (edited)

This is so outside my realm that googling terms I thought to describe the problem aren't helping at all, so a picture is worth a thousand words. My drivers are up to date and I have the latest Firestorm (I even downloaded the beta to see if the problem would go away- nope it's still with me). I have set cache as high as possible, still this intermittent problem has now become a problem nearly every time I log in. Clearing my cache seems to fix it til I log out and then, within a few minutes of my relogging, it's back. The picture below shows the tattooed  part of my forearm floating in the air beside me and the floor beneath me  just a black triangle. Textures of meshes on everything around me and  on other AVs are all messed up. No matter if I'm on a low or high pop sim. No matter what I set max complexity to. What is going on?

Snapshot_001.png

Edited by Kitten Kaos

14 answers to this question

Do either of you happen to be using Malwarebytes?
Most people we have seen with this problem are using Malwarebytes & removing malwarebytes fixes it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are some possibilities... Right after you log in, look at your viewer stats (Ctrl-Shift-1 it is a toggle). Look to see if you are losing Packets. Your problem is very typical of a connection problem. While I generally have an excellent connection to SL I do lose packets during log in.

Also, it is good to have two viewers installed for troubleshooting. The Linden SL viewer is the favoured troubleshooting viewer. See if it present the same problem.

Try logging into a different region. You are more likely to see your problem when logging into a busy region. So, try an empty deserted region, Furball could work.

Also, use Avatar->Avatar Health->Force Appearance Update (Rebake)

In general I think FS 6.0.1 is slower and weaker at rendering a scene than the previous 2 versions and the Linden SL Viewer.

You can click the viewer's HELP->About... and copy-paste that information here. We can check some tech stuff and settings to see if there is something there causing a problem.

Thank you for things to look into, Natales Urriah.  Of course as soon as I post this, the problem clears up. But it's been intermittent for over a month and I wouldn't be surprised if it cropped up again. If it does I will try your steps!

6 minutes ago, Kitten Kaos said:

Thank you for things to look into, Natales Urriah.  Of course as soon as I post this, the problem clears up. But it's been intermittent for over a month and I wouldn't be surprised if it cropped up again. If it does I will try your steps!

If it happens again try opening a command line (POSIX terminal or Windows cmd) and check your package loss with the ping command. By comparing the ping package loss with your viewer's you can determine wether it is a real connection problem or a problem of your viewer's connection settings.

And the issue is back in force: here's a screen grab showing the roof of my skybox very messed up indeed and no packet loss (on my bottom monitor)

Screenshot 2019-01-14 07.29.30.png

Help about:

Firestorm 6.0.1 (56538) Dec 13 2018 20:35:34 (64bit) (Firestorm-Betax64) with Havok support
Release Notes

You are at
SLURL:
(global coordinates
Second Life RC LeTigre 18.12.05.522294
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (4007.99 MHz)
Memory: 16332 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134.523)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 25.21.14.1735
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 417.35

RestrainedLove API: RLV v3.2.1 / RLVa v2.2.0.56538
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.25.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.5
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 1.10.09
Dullahan: 1.1.1080 / CEF: 3.3325.1750.gaabe4c4 / Chromium: 65.0.3325.146
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Dark)
Window size: 1920x1017 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 96 m
Bandwidth: 1000 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: High-Ultra (6/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 2048 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2019-1-8T14:21:47
Built with MSVC version 1800
Packets Lost: 0/23,330 (0.0%)
January 14 2019 05:31:10 SLT

Don't have a Linden Viewer  but problem is not showing up in Black Dragon. Here's the latest about help and a screenie of my neighbor's trailer with textures stubbornly messed up (rebaking never resolves the issue) & yes, I rolled thru every settings mode in Firestorm down to latency- same result

Firestorm 6.0.1 (56538) Dec 13 2018 20:35:34 (64bit) (Firestorm-Betax64) with Havok support
Release Notes

You are at... (redacted for privacy)
Second Life RC LeTigre 18.12.05.522294
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (4007.99 MHz)
Memory: 16332 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134.523)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 25.21.14.1735
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 417.35

RestrainedLove API: RLV v3.2.1 / RLVa v2.2.0.56538
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.25.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.5
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 1.10.09
Dullahan: 1.1.1080 / CEF: 3.3325.1750.gaabe4c4 / Chromium: 65.0.3325.146
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Phoenix
Viewer Skin: Vintage (Dark)
Window size: 1920x1017 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 96 m
Bandwidth: 1000 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: High-Ultra (6/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 2048 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2019-1-20T15:1:40
Built with MSVC version 1800
Packets Lost: 0/3,882 (0.0%)
January 20 2019 10:24:51 SLT

suspense_001.png

Edited by Kitten Kaos

Also, more and more I see Firestorm rendering textures like this & requiring a rebake (my partner has this same problem with firestorm).  I will likely just move to black dragon, but I've used firestorm for years and I'd rather fix this...

windows.png

textures.png

Edited by Kitten Kaos

I have encountered both of the same problems that Kitten Kaos is describing so well above. It's very frustrating. I use an Nvidia Geforce 1080 graphics card with the latest up-to-date drivers, on Windows 10.

Yes, I do. Thanks very much for this very useful tip. I'd rather not disable malwarebytes as I only rely on it & windows defender for protection, but I will tinker with it.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Kitten Kaos said:

Yes, I do. Thanks very much for this very useful tip. I'd rather not disable malwarebytes as I only rely on it & windows defender for protection, but I will tinker with it.

To be certain the problem is caused  by Malwarebytes you need to clear cache (because the textures are corrupted in your cache) & disable Malwarebytes before logging into SL to see if that fixes the problem.

The problem appears to be caused by the latest version of Malwarebytes being incompatible with Http Pipelining - which will cause corrupted textures & mesh.
So you could also try disabling Pipelining instead of disabling Malwarebytes.
Set the debug setting HttpPipelining to FALSE.
Then clear viewer cache & relog (just once to get rid of the already corrupted textures).
Does that fix it?

The latest version of malwarebytes has a double whammy bug.  It's causing computers to crash on Windows 7 & Broken Pipelining on Windows 10  :(

• Thanks 1

You are a lifesaver, Whirly! Will be fiddling with this later today! Thank you so much.

Edited by Kitten Kaos
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 6:18 AM, Kitten Kaos said:

Malwarebytes people say you can turn off Real Time protection to fix the problem, which is basically disabling Malwarebytes. I have it installed but I've not used the Real Time Protection and I haven't had a problem.