Ok I've had enough of reporting this person D=<

Shar Moanalo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok I've reported this specific person multiple times as they stole my look about 4 years ago and I'm sure I'm not allowed to say their name here because of legal reasons but they copy botted my Avatar and I sent the proof to SLabs TWICE and they have done sod all to this person as I'm looking at the Copy Botters groups they're in and it says they pretty much logged in a month ago.
This person was selling off my Avatar for like L$10,000 when it cost me $400 to get it done!!!
Sorry but SLabs is a damn joke and I seriously feel like taking legal actions about it because what the hell why is this person still roaming around on Second Life when they're a Copy Botter!!!

Edited by Shar Moanalo

3 hours ago, Shar Moanalo said:

Ok I've reported this specific person multiple times as they stole my look about 4 years ago and I'm sure I'm not allowed to say their name here because of legal reasons but they copy botted my Avatar and I sent the proof to SLabs TWICE and they have done sod all to this person as I'm looking at the Copy Botters groups they're in and it says they pretty much logged in a month ago.
This person was selling off my Avatar for like L$10,000 when it cost me $400 to get it done!!!
Sorry but SLabs is a damn joke and I seriously feel like taking legal actions about it because what the hell why is this person still roaming around on Second Life when they're a Copy Botter!!!

Did you file a DMCA?

https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/intellectual-property-infringement-notification-policy

• Like 2

Four years ago when you were using Phat Azz? And the one who copybotted it is still selling it.... not likely. For 10 K anybody can pick top shelf mesh head and body, with money left for hair and clothes.

It would be the owner of the body parts you were using that should file a DMCA. Your posts for 4 years ago say nothing about you creating, but that you are using Lolas Tangos and Phat Azz.

• Like 2

I'm unclear exactly what happened, here.

Copybotting involves replicating items without purchasing them, and using or selling the reproductions. It is against the ToS, but only the original creator of the product or products can file a legal claim to have them removed. Did this person steal content you created? File a DMCA, not an abuse report. If they stole someone else's original content, tell the original creator so they can do this. 

What it sounds like you're saying, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, however, is that someone replicated your look. That's not against any rules. Impersonating you is - they can't run around SL claiming to be you, especially for malicious purposes. Just looking like you, however, is completely fine. Unless you're using custom content not available to anyone else, they're just using the same resources you did to create the same look. Completely allowed. 

As for selling it.... what are they selling, exactly? If they're selling the avatar as a complete package and don't have permission from the relevant creators, again, let those people know so they can take legal action. 

A smaller possibility is that this person created a "custom" avatar for you and is reselling it. If you created original artwork this person used in the creation, again, DMCA - that's your intellectual property. If not, you don't really have a leg to stand on unless this person signed a legally binding contract not to reproduce this custom creation for anyone else. 

Edited by Ariel Vuissent

Your look, did it comprise of custom pieces? As said above, unless you are the creator they did not steal anything from you, they styled themselves the same, and even without a copying device anyone can do that within minutes these days if you are full mesh, the only thing would be skins etc but a snapshot and the right group to ask, that would be known in minutes also. On top of that you saying you spent 400 dollars on it, as in 100,000 lindens is a stretch, and I would be upset with the person that charged you that not a botter. Did this person tell you they botted you? Or you just saw your look on MP...is there a chance the 400 dollar person just flat out bought your look from a copybotter so they could pass it to you. Now I am super curious, also...why four years later does this look matter, in four years we now have bento, more options of skins, greater mesh etc, for 20kL you could have many looks and style yourself this time. Not trying to undermine your rage on this, but as a blogger for 12+ years, often head to toe replication is the point, if i did a post and went out and saw my clone next day, I would be so excited someone liked my style. My friends shape got copybotted by one of the MP people that used to bot bloggers and designers and name them who they were, my friend almost threw a parade, to her she just got famous. LL will never act on this, unless you are the creator and file a dmca, and they shouldn't, they have enough to do. Let it go, find a new base look, and build on it, empower yourself, they had to mimic, you wore it best. 

A custom mesh head CAN cost 100k and there are people out there that do them. Just to put that out there.

Whether this is actually copybotting, is up in the air. I see the OP edited some stuff, so there’s some missing information. Copybotting is sometimes used interchangeably with someone using the What’s She Wearing script, but it’s not copybotting. It’s them copying your look by going out and buying what you bought and looking exactly like you. Why people do stuff like this anybody’s guess. It’s not breaking any rules, it’s just a little weird.

If it is copybotting, there’s a lot involved in that and you’re hanging around the wrong people for an extended amount of time for them to take everything off you, bring it back in world to clone you. It’s still weird, but people do it.

I don’t know about DCMAing them, wouldn’t that be for the creator of the custom to do? At best you might be able to AR them.

2 hours ago, janetosilio said:

I don't know about DCMAing them, wouldn’t that be for the creator of the custom to do?

She can file the DMCA herself IF she owns the source material. This would be more likely if it's a furry avatar (who often draw their own fursona, then ask for mesh creators to bring those drawings to life inworld). Otherwise, yes, the mesh creator needs to do it. 

Edited by Ariel Vuissent

6 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Four years ago when you were using Phat Azz? And the one who copybotted it is still selling it.... not likely. For 10 K anybody can pick top shelf mesh head and body, with money left for hair and clothes.

It would be the owner of the body parts you were using that should file a DMCA. Your posts for 4 years ago say nothing about you creating, but that you are using Lolas Tangos and Phat Azz.

Seems something was erased from OP after Marianne commented it.

Hard to beleive that today would someone sell for 10K avatar with those outdated body parts. And it doens't look like custom mesh avatar then.

24 minutes ago, loverdag said:

Seems something was erased from OP after Marianne commented it.

Hard to beleive that today would someone sell for 10K avatar with those outdated body parts. And it doens't look like custom mesh avatar then.

I think Marianne searched out the OP's posting history maybe?

2 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I think Marianne searched out the OP's posting history maybe?

Yes, it could be as well. But the more important part were the old body parts - as was already said earlier, its not clear what exactly OP means by "the look", but if those componens were part of it, it probably was not custom made mesh avatar in the meaning of original mesh creation.

To clarify, the OP does not mention what she was wearing four years ago.

I looked up her posts, to see if we had a content creator here.

Her posts 4 years back in time does not indicate that she is a creator, she is asking questions related to Lolas and Phat Azz. So I concluded that she had bought what she was wearing in 2014, and could not fill a DMCA due to that.

I am thinking that there is an old grudge here, where someone inspected what she was wearing and got it, maybe ripped her skin, something LL can not prove so they would not do anything about it.

Maybe they teased the OP and lied about that they sold her avatar.

There is no way that an avatar with so old and outdated parts would be selling today. And not for that price.

I think you are right.

I was still thinkg what they would be able to sell, if "the look" was only look (=how OP looks like), not the avatar's components. This sounds like that I think:

On 1/8/2019 at 4:56 AM, Shar Moanalo said:

It crossed my mind that was maybe shape with stylecard, sold with picture of avatar looking same as OP? Or as you say, they teased OP and lied. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, loverdag said:

I think you are right.

I was still thinkg what they would be able to sell, if "the look" was only look (=how OP looks like), not the avatar's components. This sounds like that I think:

It crossed my mind that was maybe shape with stylecard, sold with picture of avatar looking same as OP? Or as you say, they teased OP and lied. 

Yes, that is possible, that they sold a stylecard. For 10 000? Lol. Maybe. Anyone can sell a picture and set the price as they want.

Even if they took a screenshot of the OP and used it in advertising, it is not against the TOS, I think?

" Consent is not required for any snapshots. "

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Snapshot_and_machinima_policy#.28a.29_Land_Owner_Consent_for_Snapshots_and_Machinima

1. The company is called Linden Lab - Not Linden Labs, SLabs or anything else.
  2. Learn the difference between Copy Bot and all other forms of item replication.
  3. Unless you have a written contract between yourself and whatever content creators (if any) were involved in creating your "look" ... you haven't a hope in the world of any "legal actions" helping you in the slightest
    1. Courts generally do not care about such things either - you're SOL
  4. Want a Linden response? Too bad. The fora by and large is read by other Second Life users.

Welcome to Second Life, the proper forms for being Butt Hurt can be found three sims down and to the left of Orientation Island Public.

Edited by Solar Legion

• Moderators

As many have already stated, if you own the copyright to the item or items in question, please file a formal notification according to the instructions found at http://secondlife.com/corporate/dmca.php. If you are not the copyright owner, you may wish to share this information with the person who holds the copyright. 

In order to ensure that all legal actions are properly executed with regard to your copyright concern, Governance and Support are not able to assist or directly intervene in copyright matters; filing a Support ticket or an Abuse Report regarding a copyright violation will result in this same educational information being sent to you. Please be sure to follow the DMCA instructions linked above.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.