Question

why is it that you all don't have  anything that a chrome book to download the second life viewer for i woulds have  thought  since you all have it for windows 7 ...8 am even windows 10 am a 64 bit version an mac os x  plus linux  but nothing for a chrome book  to use an your second life viewer page to me that really isn't right for those who don't h ave a desktop  pc an or their desktop pc  isn't  working sop they reverse to a laptop for now yes some may have a chrome book such as myself  an or a regular laptop that doesn't get the second life viewer also  that is why i wish you all would make second life viewer available to everyone an anyone with a  regular laptop  or a chrome book laptop i have even tried i think  the linuxs or thee black tiger on e or something like that on either one of them i couldn't even move my avatar anywhere or have my avatar do anything so please may i simply suggest you  that you try to come up with something for those who are on  a regular laptop or a chrome book laptop .....as i am  having issues  getting into second life viewer to use my avatar in my  chrome book until i can getme a new pc  desktop tower 

thanks in advanced 

Flydragon2642

5 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Basically your chrome book is a potato.  However there may be hope.  I believe that chrome books can install and run Android software.  If this is true, you may be able to run the Lumiya viewer which is a paid android app.  Disclaimer: I have no idea if this actually works for a chrome book but many are happy with it on Android.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

We all are SL residents, just like you.  This is a resident-to-resident Answers service.  You are not talking to Lindens.  None of the SL viewers or third party viewer will work on a Chrome book.  It's simply too small and underpowered to handle SL.  If you want to enter SL, you'll have to use a real computer.  The viewers do work quite well on laptops, though.   I have used mine for years when I am not at home with my desktop.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 3

There's a way you can get SL on your Chromebook.  There is a subscription service called Bright Canopy.  If you pay for this service, it will run SL on its own computers, and you can access it through any web browser.

• Like 1

The reason Chromebook is not supported is the hardware cannot handle the graphics load. Chromebook is only good for Facebook games. It isn't the Lab that is the problem it is the lack of hardware in the Chromebook.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Basically your chrome book is a potato.  However there may be hope.  I believe that chrome books can install and run Android software.  If this is true, you may be able to run the Lumiya viewer which is a paid android app.  Disclaimer: I have no idea if this actually works for a chrome book but many are happy with it on Android.

I've seen someone do this, so it is possible. They are just limited to whatever Lumiya can do.

• Thanks 1