How to customise/combine existing furniture?

Sellium

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello all 😊

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. Recently I happened upon a piece of furniture that I realized looked completely different from the original. It had the name of Rawage's Contemporary bed, but the only trace I could find of that name were the animations and a script under the contents tab inside edit mode. When using the "Edit Linked" option, I couldn't find a physical piece on the outside or inside that referred to that bed as its source.

I'll post some pictures comparing the two, and I apologize for how it's going to make this longer in length.

The original bed and the scripts included at the bottom:
f89bf3bcdf79e88279dbcffaa6f0da62.png.5ea5882dc33434e2d317d07c171d061f.png
871ddbeefdf57a9e4f9104087e21d0c0.png.e6ce00c6fae3ccdbb4b183596b2813ab.png

The edited bed and its scripts:

6af7ac40a039fee74a96a19f1e53e554.thumb.jpg.883b081e386bbe9b7455fe49eef13da1.jpg

94002ce6af01512a5881b31d2e59fc4e.png.699c50d1a7722b927f02696effbe6e3a.png

Both have avsitter but I didn't bother to include that. Here is also an image of what I see when inspecting the whole edited bed:

d276db95a1111fcd9d0b192e0b4a2384.png.84b274bc6f3f0fabd637ad5f90f60188.png

So my thought was that the base in the RW bed, made invisible in a way that I can't really find it with edit linked, and then these other pieces make up the physical look, but I remember that the scripts are different too, so I'm not sure. I'm not really expecting to be hand held to be able to replicate this, but I don't even know where to start. I'd like to eventually be able to do something like this on my own, but I'm not sure how to do so.

Edited by Sellium

3 answers to this question

Generally, especially with AVsitter, you can pretty much unlink everything from the root, and link anything else to that root (with all the scripts and animations) while keeping it totally functional.

AVsitter doesn't really depend on anything but having as many prims in the linkset as there are sitters. How those linked things look is totally superficial. You'll also need to readjust the animations if the new object is a totally different shape.

• Like 1

You can just copy the contents of avsitter furniture to a new mesh item (provided it has enough LI for the number of sitters). You might need to play around with the AV-Pos notecard though ...

That said once you understand how to write your own AVsitter notecard configurations there is nothing holding you back combining the animations of several beds/chairs/sofas (nothing but script memory, that is) :D

While not being handheld through the whole process, there are some neat tutorials/examples here: https://avsitter.com

PS: welcome to the world of creative minds, even by examining and considering to rebuild an object you already went further than a lot of our fellow residents... If you find tinkering to your liking you will enjoy SL a lot.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Generally, especially with AVsitter, you can pretty much unlink everything from the root, and link anything else to that root (with all the scripts and animations) while keeping it totally functional.

AVsitter doesn't really depend on anything but having as many prims in the linkset as there are sitters. How those linked things look is totally superficial. You'll also need to readjust the animations if the new object is a totally different shape.

59 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

You can just copy the contents of avsitter furniture to a new mesh item (provided it has enough LI for the number of sitters). You might need to play around with the AV-Pos notecard though ...

That said once you understand how to write your own AVsitter notecard configurations there is nothing holding you back combining the animations of several beds/chairs/sofas (nothing but script memory, that is) :D

While not being handheld through the whole process, there are some neat tutorials/examples here: https://avsitter.com

PS: welcome to the world of creative minds, even by examining and considering to rebuild an object you already went further than a lot of our fellow residents... If you find tinkering to your liking you will enjoy SL a lot.

Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely be looking into it more!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.