KarraSue

Removing scripts

I sometimes receive group notices that will say "remove unnecessary scripts to ease up any lag" How does one do that? Does it affect anything worn on an avatar?

First, detach any scripted item that you don't really need to have on - objects attached to your avatar and/or HUDs.

Second, if you do need the item on - i.e. hair - many of them have an option to delete the scripts in them.  Make a copy to delete scripts from, saving your original in case you need to use the scripts again (resize or change color/pattern, etc...)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/getting-started-in-second-life/#ScriptMemory

To see what's using up memory among the things you have on, look at About Land... Linden Lab put it there because... why put avatar script memory somewhere related to the avatar when you can put it somewhere nobody would normally ever thing to look...

aboutland.png

You can see how, in this very old image, I was using one HUD that had an insanely high size...

Now what this fails to tell you is that I actually had three super laggy items on, and none of them were that HUD...

They ARE on that list, but they weren't the HUD. To know which items they were, one needs to actually learn about script TIME and Avatar Complexity... both of which those meters on people's land do NOT measure (I have one that measures time, and many claim to measure complexity but are actually measuring 'ARC' which was an old system that Linden Lab 'retired' as incorrect).

It was another year or two after I took this screenshot that I learned which of these items was actually a lag beast and why... A -LOT- of people measure the wrong stats and police places based on it...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I landed in the middle of a snowstorm someplace yesterday and a script monitor imed me and told me that because my script usage was above some arbitrary limit they had set I must reduce it or be tped home. It gave me a three minutes warning. Every thirty seconds it repeated the warning. When I figured I had ten seconds remaining I left.

I still don't understand how an inactive script can affect anything except the sim owners need to be a control freak, because once i got away from the blizzard there was no lag at all.

😁

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
spelling

24 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I landed in the middle of a snowstorm someplace yesterday and a script monitor imed me and told me that because my script usage was above some arbitrary limit they had set I must reduce it or be tped home. It gave me a three minutes warning. Every thirty seconds it repeated the warning. When I figured I had ten seconds remaining I left.

I still don't understand how an inactive script can affect anything except the sim owners need to be a control freak, because once i got away from the blizzard there was no lag at all.

😁

There are different kinds of lag, and a lot of people don't even know the two main types. Those people who put down the script meters are extremely unlikely to do it just because they're a "control freak," but because they have this vague idea of what lag is and what causes it -- even if it's entirely wrong. The problem is just technical illiteracy, which is very rampant on SL.

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

There are different kinds of lag, and a lot of people don't even know the two main types. Those people who put down the script meters are extremely unlikely to do it just because they're a "control freak," but because they have this vague idea of what lag is and what causes it -- even if it's entirely wrong. The problem is just technical illiteracy, which is very rampant on SL.

Ditto.

And the funny thing is that those script scanners, Script-use display boards, etc. - are likely causing more "script lag" than most of the people they are scanning. It's like an oxymoron in reverse:  Let's pour a bucket of water into the overflowing toilet with the hope the overflowing toilet will stop overflowing!

So... my own script lag meter works differently than a lot of these.

Most of them count the number of scripts, or the 'ALLOCATED' script memory (and if you don't use a simple function, the allocation is always in blocks of 64kbs).

I use script time. A few others use it as well in addition to or instead of number and memory.

Number of scripts and memory and pointless measures... Memory is "slightly useful" but you're saying "reserve this memory for me" and it's reserved even if you don't use it... but that's not going to impact sim performance all that often.

Script time is an actual measure of a script's impact on... other scripts in the sim... so it is useful, and it's actually exactly what people worried about scripts are trying to measure...

- That is a form of lag, but it's not the form that will cause you to get 1fps... rather it's the kind that will cause your AO to fail or your furniture to fail or your RLV collar to fail and so on...

Basically I look at OBJECT_SCRIPT_TIME inside of llGetObjectDetails - it's the ONLY metric that's really reliable if you're going to hassle people over scripts.

https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2017/12/21/almost-done-wip-script-lag-monitor/

The function for this can be used to grab all of the less useful metrics as well:

list details = llGetObjectDetails(thisID, ([
            OBJECT_RUNNING_SCRIPT_COUNT,
            OBJECT_SCRIPT_TIME, 
            OBJECT_SCRIPT_MEMORY,
            OBJECT_RENDER_WEIGHT,
            OBJECT_STREAMING_COST,
            OBJECT_NAME
        ]));

- Which I have in a meter for the sake of "you want drama, here's your drama".

But it only bugs people if the TIME value is high.

Oh, and here is how any script maker can reduce the 'ALLOCATION' of their scripts, which makes it easy to 'fly under the radar' of almost all other brands of script meters even if your script is actually laggy:

testMemory()
{
    llScriptProfiler(PROFILE_SCRIPT_MEMORY);
    integer usedMemory = llGetUsedMemory();
    llSetMemoryLimit( (usedMemory + 500) );
    llScriptProfiler(PROFILE_NONE);
}

state_entry()
    {

testMemory();

Tweak the '500' until your script doesn't break as it expands and contracts - which it will only do if it's using things that grab up more memory from time to time like generated lists (such as something that records names of visitors).

With this trick you can have your scripts report allocated memory closer to what they actually used, and you can sneak in laggy scripts that use a lot of 'script time' because most meters don't measure that... allowing you to sit there on a sim and kill everyone with lag while they blame somebody else. :)

(and I am intentionally telling people this, because those meters that cause drama over memory or number of scripts or arc, aka RENDER)WEIGHT, are useless... so giving griefers a tool to point out how useless they are is... useful...)

My own meter is NOT out to the public as I never could solve an issue with the LOD of the mesh I used to display the results...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap