The graphics for this game have been terrible for a decade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, QuantumIncitement said:

Was this a bad question?

Not exactly bad but it's something that has been discussed to death already.

Head over to the Creation Forums and you'll find dozens of threads like this:

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/426729-this-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things/?tab=comments#comment-1784666

There are a few of them spread out across the other forums here too.

The bottom line is, nothing's going to be done about it. SL is what it is, take it or leave it.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, QuantumIncitement said:

I am a gamer.  Why not make the game fun, more realistic.  Why not upgrade it at least once a year?  Why treat me like a cuck?  I am a gamer, of course I am interested.  I am an addict I cant just quit gaming.  I need a new fix, I want this but why dont they fix it?  Why do you pretend it is good?

1. If you were truly a gamer, you'd have a decent rig.

2. I've been on SL since 2009 and I'm still having fun. Perhaps it's -you- that's lacking, not SL.

3. It has been. Lots of new features implemented in the last 9 years.

4. Ah, here's the whole basis. That -hilarious- pudgy can't-get-a-girlfriend-but-it's-all-their-fault-not-my-douchey-personality neckbearded edgelord canard.

5. Again, gamers have gaming rigs. Sorry your Walmart open box special isn't up to snuff.

6. Then get good.

7. See all the above.

8. It is good. Everything about SL is the trappings. Whatever you choose the do, the fun is in the people you play with. Again, perhaps it's you that's lacking. LL can't fix you, I suggest upping your social game.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, QuantumIncitement said:

I have no idea who any of you are.  Nor do I care about you (EDIT: I am a nice person of course I care).  I have been playing this "thing" off and on almost conception.  I first heard of it because it was going to change the world.  My company was going to have meetings inside their magical universe.  The graphics are crap.  They have not been upgraded since the 1920s?  I mean my Apple 2 or Packard Bell had just as good animations.  The load times are intolerable....  The lag is horrific.  Clearly there is a small fan base though the corporation does not care about the game - I think its cool.  I think they should.  But I just.... I just vomit when I play it.

what company are we talking about exactly? McDonalds? a company you founded in your mom's basement while playing ***** a duty and munching on doritos? Because I smell some bullllshiiiiiiit bragging about sthg that doesnt exist.

With this attitude you have, I can clearly say you have no company whatsoever and you just wanted to use big words over the internet to feel like a big boy. How do I know it? because actually succesful established people dont feel the need to brag and act all high and mighty.

Then again please prove us wrong and show us the company you supposedly have and no excuse whatsoever as to why you cannot. You wanted to play the smart guy over the forums, now roll with it or take the hit like a man.

Right now, I think you are as much of a company owner as I am Santa Claus.

Edited by DarkRavenWolfie

Enable Advanced Lightings in your preferences menu, turn on Shadows and Water Reflections. SL is very capable of looking good if you have a good enough hardware. Also most places and stuff on SL are user-created, so if you see a place that "looks bad" as in having not-so-detailed-looking objects in them, it's because the owner of that place chose to have those objects there which they are entitled to because it's their place

SL is technically not a game and SL is updated more frequently than most games, there have been tons of improvements made over the years

And since you brought up number of users, if SL were to be compared with video games in that regard, it would consistently be on the top 10 most played games according to Steam chart with its average of 30-50k concurrent users

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Oh we have had people advertising for that alongside the sugar daddies sometimes

I had to look it up...........(the cuck word)

I'm a non-gamer, or am I just not a gamer. Oh I dunno. I love it here. Yeah big events are laggy but y'know, so what?

One thing's for sure. Avis have advanced massively in ten years, looking at some of the early efforts in the forum pages..................  ;)

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 7:14 AM, DarkRavenWolfie said:

what company are we talking about exactly? McDonalds? a company you founded in your mom's basement while playing ***** a duty and munching on doritos? Because I smell some bullllshiiiiiiit bragging about sthg that doesnt exist.

With this attitude you have, I can clearly say you have no company whatsoever and you just wanted to use big words over the internet to feel like a big boy. How do I know it? because actually succesful established people dont feel the need to brag and act all high and mighty.

Then again please prove us wrong and show us the company you supposedly have and no excuse whatsoever as to why you cannot. You wanted to play the smart guy over the forums, now roll with it or take the hit like a man.

Right now, I think you are as much of a company owner as I am Santa Claus.

In Quant's defense, I don't think that when he said "my company" that he meant it was a company he owned.  A number of large corporations investigated using SL for remote meetings and other purposes, back in 2006 - 2009, notably IBM.  He probably meant that he worked for one of these companies.

• Thanks 1

Why all the hostility towards OP??

By most gaming standards, SL graphics ARE intensely bad.

SL's chief saving grace - body sliders. But even the wretched APB Reloaded had that, so they're hardly a unique SP.

Check out Carmen King's GTA 5 'anime girl gets arrested' video on YouTube.  SL simply can't compete - in terms of background, lighting, buildings, cityscapes, skies, clothing detail, vehicle look and performance, etc.

SL DID have the winning formula once, but it was about 11 years ago. Times have changed. Dumping on OP won't bring them back. Enjoy it if you like but, in realistic terms, SL graphics will soon look as dated as ZX Spectrum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CallumBH said:

Why all the hostility towards OP??

By most gaming standards, SL graphics ARE intensely bad.

SL's chief saving grace - body sliders. But even the wretched APB Reloaded had that, so they're hardly a unique SP.

Check out Carmen King's GTA 5 'anime girl gets arrested' video on YouTube.  SL simply can't compete - in terms of background, lighting, buildings, cityscapes, skies, clothing detail, vehicle look and performance, etc.

SL DID have the winning formula once, but it was about 11 years ago. Times have changed. Dumping on OP won't bring them back. Enjoy it if you like but, in realistic terms, SL graphics will soon look as dated as ZX Spectrum.

Because simply put...if you put some effort into your avi and your surroundings and don't try running on a computer that belongs it a museum then sl looks fine. Comparable to a recent game with severely limited assets designed by professional designers probably not because its user generated. Having said said its still a lot better than some of those games.

If you don't agree tick which applies

1) I cant be bothered to put effort into my avi or surroundings

2) I am on a computer that was underpowered even in 2010

3) I only go places where 1 applies

You cant compare sl to a game with  minimal user customisation and no a few sliders don't count as significant customisation. Its like comparing ducks and cheese

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.