The graphics for this game have been terrible for a decade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Was this a bad question?  I've been a casual player about once every 9 months for a week or 2 where I spend about $10-20 USD.  The graphics have been horrible, laggy and slow.  I can't imagine investing time or money?  It seems weird?  Why not improve them?  Which game does not improve its content?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, QuantumIncitement said:

Was this a bad question?  I've been a casual player about once every 9 months for a week or 2 where I spend about $10-20 USD.  The graphics have been horrible, laggy and slow.  I can't imagine investing time or money?  It seems weird?  Why not improve them?  Which game does not improve its content?

So, what exactly is your computer rig like?   CPU, Memory, graphics card?  And what setting are you using inworld.  You can click 'Help' and then 'About' in the viewer and paste all the info here. 

My bet is that there is an issue with your computer and/or your network connection.  I almost never experience any lag in SL and I run with pretty high settings.  I know there are many others around here that have the same experience as mine.

Side note -- the "bad" part about the question was the phrasing that assumed your experience is what everyone experiences.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 6

I think a lot of it has to do with ones computer, the graphics settings one chooses, network connection (and distance from servers)  and the places one goes to inworld.    If I go to a really popular event, where there are a large number of avatars, I encounter some lag, but generally I experience very little lag.  I do have several different graphic profiles set up - one for general use, one for big events, one for taking pictures...   and that helps alleviate possible lag.

• Like 4

11 years I've been in SL,  It's all unoptimized content created by people,  Laggy...  you trying to play at all settings at ultra and expect performance..  Nope not happening.

Hardware is important, if you bottle neck you are going to have a bad time and sadly people try to play this on really crappy laptops, we see the posts often.

Shadows Turn those off,  unless you must really have them,  they will bring your fps down,  so if you want some fps back,  off they must go.

Draw distance,  stop trying to look across a sim or into 3 others,  128 draw is all that's realistically needed.

I'm sure others have recommendations too.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz (3299.99 MHz)
Memory: 32680 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 980/PCIe/SSE2

That is my system,  I LAG if I turn shadows on and max the draw distance out.    but with them off.  and no shadows, I do pretty well,  well until I hit sims with 40+ people and then the system chokes , because it causes a bottle neck.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I think there might have been some puzzlement regarding the word 'humans'.

Almost everything about this thread (how the title and body is phrased, the second post from OP) hints towards trying to get kneejerk reactions from people and create a cesspool.

• bringing up the "is it a game or not" debate
  • graphics are bad
  • why not "just upgrade" them
  • more people would play
  • saying "humans" instead of people
  • was this a bad question
  • ive spent money
  • why should i spend more
  • making the "game or not" comparison a second time
  • ignoring the fact that SL is almost 100% user-generated content

The unfortunate thing about this kind of subtle phrasing is that you can always say "but I'm being serious" to get people to bite despite others calling it early, and there's no real way to tell if they actually are or not. Fact is, everything I listed there is something that could be considered both inflammatory and genuine, and we'll probably end up with a 200+ replied thread where people have started arguing with each other because of someone's genuine attempt at trying to answer the OP's questions at face value. Hence my "guaranteed replies" bait meme.

There's just so many easy topics to jump on, it's too perfectly crafted from a 1-day old account called "Quantum Incitement" as their first post on the forum.

All that said, I'm gonna unfollow and probably not post in here again, here's hoping I'm wrong!

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I have tried to no avail to get the non-humans in my house at least aware of SL, so that they won't keep bothering me to be let in or out the back door while I'm trying to drive inworld.

^^This - The only interest my cat has in anything associated with SL is playing with the mouse wire, sitting on the mouse, and sitting in front of the monitor.  

*sigh*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, QuantumIncitement said:

I still don't get it?  I just fell through the floor and walked through a wall. I mean did Trumpanzees on heroin code this?  My daughter can do better.  Why don't they reinvest money back into the game?

because apparently Sansar (which barely has any users but whatever) is more important than their mainline product

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Almost everything about this thread (how the title and body is phrased, the second post from OP) hints towards trying to get kneejerk reactions from people and create a cesspool.

• bringing up the "is it a game or not" debate
  • graphics are bad
  • why not "just upgrade" them
  • more people would play
  • saying "humans" instead of people
  • was this a bad question
  • ive spent money
  • why should i spend more
  • making the "game or not" comparison a second time
  • ignoring the fact that SL is almost 100% user-generated content

The unfortunate thing about this kind of subtle phrasing is that you can always say "but I'm being serious" to get people to bite despite others calling it early, and there's no real way to tell if they actually are or not. Fact is, everything I listed there is something that could be considered both inflammatory and genuine, and we'll probably end up with a 200+ replied thread where people have started arguing with each other because of someone's genuine attempt at trying to answer the OP's questions at face value. Hence my "guaranteed replies" bait meme.

There's just so many easy topics to jump on, it's too perfectly crafted from a 1-day old account called "Quantum Incitement" as their first post on the forum.

All that said, I'm gonna unfollow and probably not post in here again, here's hoping I'm wrong!

I have no idea who any of you are.  Nor do I care about you (EDIT: I am a nice person of course I care).  I have been playing this "thing" off and on almost conception.  I first heard of it because it was going to change the world.  My company was going to have meetings inside their magical universe.  The graphics are crap.  They have not been upgraded since the 1920s?  I mean my Apple 2 or Packard Bell had just as good animations.  The load times are intolerable....  The lag is horrific.  Clearly there is a small fan base though the corporation does not care about the game - I think its cool.  I think they should.  But I just.... I just vomit when I play it.

Edited by QuantumIncitement
  • Haha 2

"The graphics for this game have been terrible for a decade"

Which five years where they not terrible for? 😋

With a fast PC, good graphics hardware and a fast internet connection, many of the problems go away and the graphics are very good considering it is the type of platform where literally anything can change with the view of multiple viewers at any time.  Could it be improved?  Sure, I expect so but I don't know of any other virtual environment with that amount of user created content and dynamism fairing any better.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
added big word
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, QuantumIncitement said:

I have no idea who any of you are.  Nor do I care about you (EDIT: I am a nice person of course I care).  I have been playing this "thing" off and on almost conception.  I first heard of it because it was going to change the world.  My company was going to have meetings inside their magical universe.  The graphics are crap.  They have not been upgraded since the 1920s?  I mean my Apple 2 or Packard Bell had just as good animations.  The load times are intolerable....  The lag is horrific.  Clearly there is a small fan base though the corporation does not care about the game - I think its cool.  I think they should.  But I just.... I just vomit when I play it.

This reminds me of something my Mum used to say.  "I've told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.