Selling videos streaming in world

AmethystxMoonstone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1934 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!  Does anyone know a way to sell video clips we create in second life?  For example, have a video booth set up on our land, have a resident scroll through your video catalog, select desired video, pay $L then have the video stream in the booth for them?

This is all original content so no copyright issues.  I know how to have a media player (tv, etc) point to a website such as youtube.  I would like the option of more than one media file, and the ability to pay per view.  I'm wondering if there are any vendor items already created or scripts I can use to create my own object to make this happen.  Thanks!

I think the realistic way to actually do this would be to create your own web-based content service (similar to Youtube, Vimeo, etc) and have it communicate with scripts from SL.

So, when a user pays an object (like the booth), the script in that booth sends a message to your web server, the web server authenticates it someway (you might want it to be somewhat secure so people can't just go to the URL on their browser for free) and then gives a response to the booth script so it can then request the actual video for viewing (after which the web server doesn't give another OK until another authenticated payment).

I don't know if anyone's already done this, but my uneducated guess would be no, because I think the majority of the work is on the web server rather than SL scripts.

• Like 2

Just wanted to explain (in case you didn't actually read the machinima rules as I advised on another thread you just started) that you need to have PERMISSION from everyone you filmed AND the sim owner that you filmed on.  If it is just you and alts and friends on YOUR sim (or a Linden Lab sim) then you are set. 

Not just for you here. Most people aren't aware (and never look at) the actual machinima rules.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 6:23 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Just wanted to explain (in case you didn't actually read the machinima rules as I advised on another thread you just started) that you need to have PERMISSION from everyone you filmed AND the sim owner that you filmed on. 

This is true, but hardly enforceable. LOL

There also are policies on snapshotting (a.k.a. SL "Photography") also.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Snapshot_and_machinima_policy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1934 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.