Jump to content
Nichole Bergamasco

question about blocking people

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

no, unless they have auto response enabled.

^^ This -- Only if the user that might have blocked you is using Firestorm and has set a message to be sent to blocked people.

By default, there is no way of knowing if someone has blocked you or if they are just ignoring you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

^^ This -- Only if the user that might have blocked you is using Firestorm and has set a message to be sent to blocked people.

By default, there is no way of knowing if someone has blocked you or if they are just ignoring you.

Do blocked people still see you online, if you had been friends?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Do blocked people still see you online, if you had been friends?

If you mean 'online status', then only if you have your settings such that anyone can see your status -- or if they have a script / scripted object that tells them.

Pretty much nothing changes for a blocked person.  They can walk right up to you and talk to you normally - it will just seem like you are ignoring them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's actually a loophole to see if someone is online.  I'm not sure if it's intended or not though.  I also don't know if you can do it using the regular SL viewer.  So anyways, you can check if someone is online if you're both in the same group, and if that group has enabled it's member list to be available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, femhalf said:

There's actually a loophole to see if someone is online. 

That's not exactly a "loophole."  Your online status is public information, available by design.  Anyone can look it up with a simple script, as LittleMe pointed out.  It's not against the TOS to get that information or share it.  Many merchants with in-world shops have a friendly device in the shop that will tell you whether they are around and available to answer questions.  Some welcoming areas will post a board that shows which mentors are around too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 1:53 PM, femhalf said:

also don't know if you can do it using the regular SL viewer. 

This works in all viewers; it's a system function, not a viewer function.

On 1/6/2019 at 3:08 PM, Rolig Loon said:

Your online status is public information, available by design.  Anyone can look it up with a simple script, as LittleMe pointed out.  It's not against the TOS to get that information or share it. 

This, precisely.

I find it utterly funny when people turn off their "online status" in viewer preferences. Why do that? (Genuinely curious). As for hiding from people in your friend list, is it not better to simply remove them from your friend list?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no DIRECT way to tell if someone has blocked you.  But, if you know they are on line, send them something...a notecard, an object.  If you immediately get a notice that it was rejected, then you most likely have been blocked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

There's no DIRECT way to tell if someone has blocked you.  But, if you know they are on line, send them something...a notecard, an object.  If you immediately get a notice that it was rejected, then you most likely have been blocked.

I can't login & test right now but I'm pretty sure that the accept/decline message from inventory offers are only accurate when both agents are in the same region.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please do check!  I'm of the opinion that location doesn't matter, but I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far I am aware is no way but this is true story, I found out my former friend blocked me after I sent them a message in world and got blocked message but they hadn't removed me as friend; so I saved them that small issue.  Don't know what I supposedly I did however honestly I really don't care as know they can be fickle as know from past experience!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MrsSeren said:

As far I am aware is no way but this is true story, I found out my former friend blocked me after I sent them a message in world and got blocked message but they hadn't removed me as friend; so I saved them that small issue.  Don't know what I supposedly I did however honestly I really don't care as know they can be fickle as know from past experience!

I have accidentally blocked friends too... that can happen without intent.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

I have accidentally blocked friends too... that can happen without intent.

Oh; I know this was definite blocking on their part as they blocked me in discord as they asked few days prior for an honest opinion then obviously didn't like what I said but not my fault if they can not handle honesty as they asked for.  If they didn't want the honest answer then should of not asked for it.

Edited by MrsSeren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:
9 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:
9 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

if you know they are on line, send them something...a notecard, an object.  If you immediately get a notice that it was rejected, then you most likely have been blocked.

I can't login & test right now but I'm pretty sure that the accept/decline message from inventory offers are only accurate when both agents are in the same region.

Please do check!  I'm of the opinion that location doesn't matter, but I could be wrong.

I tested with an alt.  My alt blocked me and I then offered her an inventory item.  Regardless of the viewer, the item went directly into the trash of my alt - and with Firestorm, the 'automatically accept new inventory items' setting also did not matter. 

As to notices back to me:   With Firestorm, if she was in the same region then I immediately got a message saying she had declined the inventory offer.  If she was in another region, I got no decline message at all.  With the SL viewer, I didn't get a decline notice regardless of where she was.  I think the SL viewer method - not giving a decline notice at all - was something they changed at some point a while back in order to prevent blocked people from using an inventory offer to figure out if they were blocked.  At least, something about that sounds vaguely familiar.  

Note that she does receive any money sent, but not any message sent with the money, and I got no messages other than the one saying I paid her.  While she did not get the message that I sent with payment, she did get the message saying that I paid her.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I tested with an alt.  My alt blocked me and I then offered her an inventory item.  Regardless of the viewer, the item went directly into the trash of my alt - and with Firestorm, the 'automatically accept new inventory items' setting also did not matter. 

As to notices back to me:   With Firestorm, if she was in the same region then I immediately got a message saying she had declined the inventory offer.  If she was in another region, I got no decline message at all.  With the SL viewer, I didn't get a decline notice regardless of where she was.  I think the SL viewer method - not giving a decline notice at all - was something they changed at some point a while back in order to prevent blocked people from using an inventory offer to figure out if they were blocked.  At least, something about that sounds vaguely familiar.  

Note that she does receive any money sent, but not any message sent with the money, and I got no messages other than the one saying I paid her.  While she did not get the message that I sent with payment, she did get the message saying that I paid her.

So that's why those few people I had removed from my friends list sent me the Ls. They were trying to see if I had blocked them (something I hadn't done but now is a good time to start?). 

Now I'm kind of glad I didn't return the handful of Ls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

So that's why those few people I had removed from my friends list sent me the Ls. They were trying to see if I had blocked them (something I hadn't done but now is a good time to start?). 

Now I'm kind of glad I didn't return the handful of Ls.

That's a good point! (Why I never add any to my list unless we've met randomly at least three times in a single week. LOL)

But I am way too nice. Though I don't always use Firestorm I do have the setting in it to notify blocked people and even give benefit of the doubt. it says something like this:

"You have been blocked because you annoyed me somehow or it was a boo-boo. If you feel it was, then ask someone else to IM me and let me know."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alyona Su said:

That's a good point! (Why I never add any to my list unless we've met randomly at least three times in a single week. LOL)

But I am way too nice. Though I don't always use Firestorm I do have the setting in it to notify blocked people and even give benefit of the doubt. it says something like this:

"You have been blocked because you annoyed me somehow or it was a boo-boo. If you feel it was, then ask someone else to IM me and let me know."

Mine just says something like "The number you have dialed has been disconnected or is no longer in service.  Please, check the number and try again."

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 7:04 AM, Alyona Su said:

This works in all viewers; it's a system function, not a viewer function.

This, precisely.

I find it utterly funny when people turn off their "online status" in viewer preferences. Why do that? (Genuinely curious). As for hiding from people in your friend list, is it not better to simply remove them from your friend list?

I do it.  I value my privacy.  I'm not terribly assertive and I have trouble telling people that I'm busy.  So keeping my online status private lets me avoid my more gregarious friends who seem to feel the need to wave or say Hi whenever they see me log in. It's my SL, right? I set it up so it's most comfortable for me.  I hate the thought of dropping anyone from my friends list, I don't want to reject people, I just need them to leave me alone sometimes.  I don't automatically uncheck the eyeball on everyone, just the ones that intrude on my comfort zone.  When I'm in the mood for conversation I go to places where I will see my friends. I host in a busy club and i get a lot of friend requests, I don't like to turn anyone down, that's just too unfriendly to me. My friends list is full of people that I don't even remember, because I very rarely unfriend anyone. I'm fine with that, I'd rather err on the side of not rejecting people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think someone has blocked you send them an message saying, "Hi, I was trying to send you $10,000 lindens but the system isn't letting me for some reason." If they haven't blocked you then you'll get a message from them pretty quick. That's how you find out if you were blocked. It might cost you $10,000 lindens though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

I do it.  I value my privacy.  I'm not terribly assertive and I have trouble telling people that I'm busy.  So keeping my online status private lets me avoid my more gregarious friends who seem to feel the need to wave or say Hi whenever they see me log in. It's my SL, right? I set it up so it's most comfortable for me.  I hate the thought of dropping anyone from my friends list, I don't want to reject people, I just need them to leave me alone sometimes.  I don't automatically uncheck the eyeball on everyone, just the ones that intrude on my comfort zone.  When I'm in the mood for conversation I go to places where I will see my friends. I host in a busy club and i get a lot of friend requests, I don't like to turn anyone down, that's just too unfriendly to me. My friends list is full of people that I don't even remember, because I very rarely unfriend anyone. I'm fine with that, I'd rather err on the side of not rejecting people. 

I get it with the friends' list; my main curiosity is why hide it from public view? If if you (general "you", meaning anyone) bring up that that "friends will see it" then I reiterate: then it's time to remove those people from your friend list. I get it (in some scenarios) were turning off the "doorbell" in friend list, but you are genuinely hiding from them, then... LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...