I am currently weeding out my inventory, and instead of deleting everything that isn't "me" any more outright, I was wondering if there is a way to sell no transfer items in an in world "garage sale" of some sort? (I go on too many hunts...)

Any assistance gratefully accepted. :)

15 minutes ago, Ginger Shostakovich said:

I was wondering if there is a way to sell no transfer items in an in world "garage sale" of some sort?

it's "no transfer" for a simple reason.. you can't sell or give it to somebody else, the system will simply refuse that.
Also, not all "transfer" items are allowed to sell or give to others, if right thats mentioned in the notecards you got by buying the items.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Paslong said:

it's "no transfer" for a simple reason.. you can't sell or give it to somebody else, the system will simply refuse that.
Also, not all "transfer" items are allowed to sell or give to others, if right thats mentioned in the notecards you got by buying the items.

Ah, that's what I was afraid of. It's not like I wanted to make money off of this, but I hate throwing stuff away, even if it's "just" pixels. :) Thanks for the reply!

Mmm. I have the same "trouble". I have a lt of old stuff In my inventory that I don't use more since I became mesh. I saved some placing the stuff within prims as if closet or bagage to diminish the height of memory of the inventory and as a precaution for lag and if I had to use my standard version. But still is too much and makes a real mess even throwing many things. Yes, I would like also get some money exactly the way it happens in RL in legacy when one do a garage sale. My question is how can I do to make a garage sale to get lindens with stuff that can be useful for others, without going against rights rules?

Would be nice if Second Life contemplate this kind of situations to let us feel more free about transactions and give us some exits about do them more close to RL situations like this, perhaps establishing some "caducity" of some permissions within the copyright rules. In RL, if I got a car and after some time I don't want it or need to sell it nobody stop me to do it since buying I got the full permissions except about trademark or pattent, is the same with clothes, furniture and other stuff and that, instead to go against the market is a way to enrich the free market. Is my opinion.

6 hours ago, KillianMacrieve said:

In RL, if I got a car and after some time I don't want it or need to sell it nobody stop me to do it since buying I got the full permissions except about trademark or pattent, is the same with clothes, furniture and other stuff and that, instead to go against the market is a way to enrich the free market. Is my opinion.

But in SL you could make 20 copies of the one car you paid for. Then you sell a copy and begin undercutting the creator and making free money.

Or maybe everything should be no-copy like IRL, then you'd have to buy everything again if you wanted a variation of it or you lost the old one.

Or maybe SL should try  to delete any copies you might have of it? When the inventory system has no way of tracking which objects are copies of what, making it impossible to retroactively apply the new reselling system.. or how currently any changes to an object causing it to become a totally new asset..

I don't think it would be realistically even possible to implement something this drastically different from how objects and inventory has been working since SL began. You would have to redo the asset system almost entirely while still being unable to fix existing assets.

• Thanks 1

In real life you can not duplicate things and resell them. Buy a cabinet, sell the same cabinet, and you have no cabinet.
In fake life, we buy most of the things that are copied (much safer), so if you could transfer the objects it would take the creator of the object to bankruptcy.
In the market, in a much smaller number, there are also non-copiable but transferable things (I hate and do not consume), and the Gatchas have their price, usually lower to play and play and play until one day you can that model that you want so much. I do not use Gatchas machines, if I want something I buy in resale, I save money and time.
Remembering that an intelligent soul thought it would be a good thing to offer the transfer of transferable products for the same copiable model, and since then that has brought joy to buyers. If today I want something from Gatcha and the seller does not offer this exchange, I do not buy.
LL has no power over it, just the one who creates the product.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KillianMacrieve said:

My question is how can I do to make a garage sale to get lindens with stuff that can be useful for others, without going against rights rules?

Would be nice if Second Life contemplate this kind of situations to let us feel more free about transactions and give us some exits about do them more close to RL situations like this, perhaps establishing some "caducity" of some permissions within the copyright rules.

We already have the tech for this. Merchants can set their goods to no copy/yes transfer if they choose.

It used to be pretty common a decade ago. Many of us find that the advantages of copy/no trans outweigh the advantages of no copy/trans, however, and merchants have followed suit.

Anyone with land can set up no copy/trans items for sale and list it in search too. There used to be more of this as well, years ago. Now it's largely limited to gachas.

If you want to be able to sell things on after your interest has passed, only buy items with no copy/yes trans permissions. This will limit your choices to gachas (which also have an active resale market) and merchants who sell with those perms or can be persuaded to.

In other words, the 'fix' is social not technical. And you'll be fighting an uphill battle against the advantages of and preferences for copy/no trans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1