I have been away for more than 1 year. My account hasn't changed. My login is failing. What to do?

Frater Allen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4731 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

What is the error message you are getting?

Several people are having login problems on the latest viewer, so it may be possible you have the same issue. Try downloading the previous version from http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Supported_Viewers and if it works, switch off automatic updates in preferences so that it doesn`t download the new one again.

Also the new viewers have a Basic and Advanced mode now, so as you are not a noob just start off on Advanced Mode.

Yeah that is the one that a lot of people seem to be getting now with the update. If you are sure that your connection is fine and nothing related to SL is being blocked by your firewall, then try another viewer as I suggested below.

You can try resetting your Router to make sure that its not your connection.

In a year much has changed regarding login.

Make sure you have either viewer 1.23.5 or 2.4, or 2.2 even. With those you can login. You can find them here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Old_versions

I would be conservative regaring upgrading to 2.6 since it has a truck load of unresolved bugs even people not being able to login. 

1.23.5 is still being supported as long as 2.x is not upto standard according to Philip Rosedale, and 2.x still seems far off.

Be aware that the login has changed too.

In viewer 1.23.5 you type: First name, Last name, Password.

In 2.x It is First name, Space or Dot, Last name, Password,

like,

FirstName LastName xxxxx    Or    FirstName.LastName xxxxxx (mind the the dot between the first and last name)

If that is not working then there is a serious issue. It would help to publish exactly the error messages you get here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4731 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.