Random inventory technical question

chibiusa Ling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Something I have always wondered. Perhaps someone in the know can answer this for me.

So when we receive an object, we are listed as that objects owner and that object is considered part of the list that is our inventory. Now, if we delete that object, aka put it in the trash and empty the trash, what happens to the object in terms of ownership after this point?. I know that even though we delete objects from our inventory they pretty much still exist forever more in the asset server and its never truly deleted. But, does ownership at this point default back to the original creator or does the object keep you as its owner only now its "unlinked" for want of a better word from your current inventory. Or is it a case of the object being hidden from your inventory and not actually removed from it at all?. Curious how that works and what happens in terms of ownership to a "deleted" item.

We can only guess, but my guess is it really poofs. My guess would be the only stuff to exist forever would be meshes, sound files and textures, and the "objects" we see are most likely just containers with references to the meshes and some metadata. The only real data objects things be noteccards. even scripts will internally be consisting of more than one data object(source and binary at least).

You could look at the open simulator code... I bet it will reveal how stuff is handled.

• Like 1

I don't think there is any public documentation for this as it's all proprietary "back-end stuff" and we don't need to know.

I think Fionalein is mostly on-point though. When you upload a texture, it gets stored in the asset server and I don't think you can get rid of it. I'm 99% sure that if you were to try uploading a texture and write down its UUID before deleting it entirely without applying it to anything, the UUID will keep working. (Either applied by a viewer or a script)

As for copies of the original asset... assuming you even technically can, there's many ways it could be handled, like creating a full copy, creating a partial copy where you have a pointer to the actual asset and only create new data for what is different in the new copy, or creating almost "weightless" copies that only hold pointers to real data in other places. Trying to explain this is a whole lot of guess-work and anything I proposed might not even be what's going on.

As for what happens to the ownership of a deleted inventory item (which really are just pointers to data in the asset server, but they do not exist on the asset server themselves), it doesn't matter because it doesn't exist at all and therefore cannot have an owner. It's dead, Jim. (In bold under Inventory Basics)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.