Looking for friendly players to help with making a good looking avatar

PradaOrNada

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1884 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone

I have some trouble getting my character the way I want. A few months ago I played SL for the first time, but I stopped playing it after not too long and today I tried it again. I haven’t been playing SL for a long time in total so I’d definitely say I’m a noob. I’ve been playing games that look like SL for years before I got here. So I honestly thought dressing a character wasn’t that hard. But turns out I’ve been trying for hours and still some things aren’t the way they should... 

I bought a few things I really wanted to put on my character, such as: CATWA Catya(?) head, Slink Hourglass (idk what it is exactly but since it’s something I read a lot while looking for clothes I figured it might be needed), Slink High Heel Feet, hair and a few clothes and a pair of shoes. I’ve been putting a lot of effort in it but still I see some problems (ex.: body comes through outfit, skin color doesn’t match head color (no blending from neck to head), applied skin (other than Slink Hourglass skins) doesn’t show up properly, ...)

Also I was wondering what else I need to get my avatar ‘complete’. I see some stuff I’d definitely buy in the future (such as Slink Hands, Lashes, make up, clothes, hair, some kind of ‘standing’ animation(?) etc etc) but I figured it might be better if I can apply all the things I have right now before buying new stuff... Because I’m kinda stuck.

So now my question for you: I really hope to find someone who’d like to help me in game with the trouble I’m having... I really understand this isn’t the funniest thing to do but I honestly don’t know how to fix this otherwise... So I hope to find someone who’d like to help me out. It’s all pretty new for me and I’d like to learn about SL. 

Bye x

It sounds like you are just about there.  If you aren't able to find someone to meet with you and work with you inworld, the following may help you figure out the remaining pieces:

First, it sounds like you need a skin which will contain appliers for both a Catwa head and a Slink body, or applier for Catwa head and omega applier which you can use with the Slink body if you purchase a Omega installer for Slink.  (I haven't used Catwa heads before, so I don't know if they are Omega compatible).   You need to be able to apply the same skin tone to both parts in order to have the skin color match on both parts.  If you have purchased some skins with Slink appliers, then either look in the folder they came in to see if there are any head appliers in the folder, or go back to where you purchased them to see if there are head appliers in the same tone available for purchase. (There may still be some oddness at the neck join, depending on your graphic settings and the lighting of where your are). 

Second,  body poking through clothes.   Choosing clothes that indicate they are compatible with Slink Hourglass (sometimes referred to as Slink HG) is the best option when buying new clothes.  Even so, sections of the body may still poke through.  Most of the time this can be fixed by using the "Alpha" tab of the Slink body HUD.  On that tab you can choose sections/slices of the body to 'alpha out' so that section of the body will not poke through the specific clothing item you are trying to wear. 

Being as you already have the Slink Hourglass body and Slink high feet, I would suggest going ahead and getting the Slink hands.

You should be ready then to venture out and look for hair and makeup that suits your style.  When looking at things like makeup and eyelashes, choose items which indicate they are Catwa compatible.  Using the Catwa HUD to apply makeup and lashes is a whole other topic, and probably asking in their group is best once you get to that point and have specific questions.

You will probably want to get an AO (animation overrider) - this is what gives you different standing , walking, sitting, etc. animations.  You will want to go to several animation stores inworld so that you can 'try out' the different offerings.  Tuty's and Vista are two that come to mind (and I think Tuty's may have an inexpensive bento AO which might be a good starter one initially) though there are more brands out there that you might want to check out.

• Thanks 1

I'm game! Helping create and figure out avatars is fun (at least, I enjoy it). But... unfortunately, I won't be on probably until tomorrow evening. If, on the off chance, you haven't gotten help by then, or just want some more, feel free to hit me up! 

The above advice is great for continuing on your own until some form of help arrives, though. Also try meshbodyaddicts.com. It's a bit out of date now, but the advice and tutorials that are available there are still pretty sound. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

It sounds like you are just about there.  If you aren't able to find someone to meet with you and work with you inworld, the following may help you figure out the remaining pieces:

First, it sounds like you need a skin which will contain appliers for both a Catwa head and a Slink body, or applier for Catwa head and omega applier which you can use with the Slink body if you purchase a Omega installer for Slink.  (I haven't used Catwa heads before, so I don't know if they are Omega compatible).   You need to be able to apply the same skin tone to both parts in order to have the skin color match on both parts.  If you have purchased some skins with Slink appliers, then either look in the folder they came in to see if there are any head appliers in the folder, or go back to where you purchased them to see if there are head appliers in the same tone available for purchase. (There may still be some oddness at the neck join, depending on your graphic settings and the lighting of where your are). 

Second,  body poking through clothes.   Choosing clothes that indicate they are compatible with Slink Hourglass (sometimes referred to as Slink HG) is the best option when buying new clothes.  Even so, sections of the body may still poke through.  Most of the time this can be fixed by using the "Alpha" tab of the Slink body HUD.  On that tab you can choose sections/slices of the body to 'alpha out' so that section of the body will not poke through the specific clothing item you are trying to wear. 

Being as you already have the Slink Hourglass body and Slink high feet, I would suggest going ahead and getting the Slink hands.

You should be ready then to venture out and look for hair and makeup that suits your style.  When looking at things like makeup and eyelashes, choose items which indicate they are Catwa compatible.  Using the Catwa HUD to apply makeup and lashes is a whole other topic, and probably asking in their group is best once you get to that point and have specific questions.

You will probably want to get an AO (animation overrider) - this is what gives you different standing , walking, sitting, etc. animations.  You will want to go to several animation stores inworld so that you can 'try out' the different offerings.  Tuty's and Vista are two that come to mind (and I think Tuty's may have an inexpensive bento AO which might be a good starter one initially) though there are more brands out there that you might want to check out.

Tysm for the explanation! I’ll def make sure to test all of this as soon as I get online again today. I bet it isn’t that complicated once I get it all, but yesterday I really had a hard time understanding what I was doing wrong! 😂 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ariel Vuissent said:

I'm game! Helping create and figure out avatars is fun (at least, I enjoy it). But... unfortunately, I won't be on probably until tomorrow evening. If, on the off chance, you haven't gotten help by then, or just want some more, feel free to hit me up! 

The above advice is great for continuing on your own until some form of help arrives, though. Also try meshbodyaddicts.com. It's a bit out of date now, but the advice and tutorials that are available there are still pretty sound. 

Tysm! I’ll make sure to add you as soon as I get online again today (and as soon as I figure out how to...😂), won’t be that hard I bet. Thank you for the advice also! I’ll def check out the website.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1884 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.