Nature sounds on parcel

Nuno McCullough

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1938 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

38 minutes ago, Nuno McCullough said:

Hi all,

My idea was that the only sound on my parcel was some forest or bird sounds, I know we can place a link to a stream on our parcel however I can only find radio streams in the internet. How do you manage this?

Thanks for your help

You can buy nature sounds on the MP that come in a prim that you can drop around to play in the background without the need for a stream.  You can also open parcel settings.  sound and paste your nature radio stream in there

9c8afd82a0d6e6da0bc2a2a3ae1b774d.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

You can buy nature sounds on the MP that come in a prim that you can drop around to play in the background without the need for a stream.  You can also open parcel settings.  sound and paste your nature radio stream in there

9c8afd82a0d6e6da0bc2a2a3ae1b774d.png

Many thanks, i'll try the prim approach (yesterday I saw some sounds on a botanical shop)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nuno McCullough said:

Many thanks, i'll try the prim approach (yesterday I saw some sounds on a botanical shop)

try this part of the MP:   Audio and Video - Nature and Relaxation Audio.  

I have bought some from this store in the past and you can test them out in their main store https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/51904

• Thanks 1

You can have fun making your own sounds for SL!

You can download tons of sounds from the web, and many of them are royalty-free.  Many are also actually free as well! ("Royalty free" means you can use them without paying a per-use royalty.  Lots of "royalty free" sounds and music can be bought...in fact, it's sometimes also called "buyout" music.)

You can also grab your smartphone, camera, video camera, or old-style digital or tape recorder and go record your own sounds.

Once you have an audio file, you can load it into an audio editing program.  There's a fairly nice free one called "Audacity".  Note that video editing programs can also double as an audio editor, and some of them have pretty powerful audio editing tools.

Use the audio editing program to normalize your file (set its maximum volume to 0 dB).  You can also apply a filter to compress the sound (raise its average volume without exceeding the distortion level of 0 dB).  You want your sound to be as loud as possible, without distortion.  This is because you can reduce a sound's volume in SL, but not increase it.  Trim its length to no more than 10 seconds.  Save it in a format you can upload to SL.  See this link: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sound_Clips

Uploading your clip will cost $L10.

Once uploaded, drop your sound file into a convenient prim.  This can be as simple as a box or a sphere you bury in the sand of your beach, or a decorative object like a seashell or a waterfall or a rock.

Next, drop a script into your object to actually play the sound.  I use one called "play sound in a loop at full volume".  Or, here's a script I found with a quick web search:

The number "0.90" in the script is the volume and can be changed to any number between 0 and 1. "1" is full volume.

{ 

state_entry() 
    { 

llStopSound(); 

llSleep(.2); 

llLoopSound(llGetInventoryName(INVENTORY_SOUND0), 0.90); 
    } 
}
Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You can download tons of sounds from the web, and many of them are royalty-free.  Many are also actually free as well! ("Royalty free" means you can use them without paying a per-use royalty.  Lots of "royalty free" sounds and music can be bought...in fact, it's sometimes also called "buyout" music.)

You can also grab your smartphone, camera, video camera, or old-style digital or tape recorder and go record your own sounds.

Once you have an audio file, you can load it into an audio editing program.  There's a fairly nice free one called "Audacity".  Note that video editing programs can also double as an audio editor, and some of them have pretty powerful audio editing tools.

Use the audio editing program to normalize your file (set its maximum volume to 0 dB).  You can also apply a filter to compress the sound (raise its average volume without exceeding the distortion level of 0 dB).  You want your sound to be as loud as possible, without distortion.  This is because you can reduce a sound's volume in SL, but not increase it.  Trim its length to no more than 10 seconds.  Save it in a format you can upload to SL.  See this link: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sound_Clips

Once uploaded, drop your sound file into a convenient prim.  This can be as simple as a box or a sphere you bury in the sand of your beach, or a decorative object like a seashell or a waterfall or a rock.

Next, drop a script into your object to actually play the sound.  I use one called "play sound in a loop at full volume".  Or, here's a script I found with a quick web search:

The number "0.90" in the script is the volume and can be changed to any number between 0 and 1. "1" is full volume.

{ 

state_entry() 
    { 

llStopSound(); 

llSleep(.2); 

} 
}

this is awesome. i should thought about it… it looks like I arrived yesterday to SL instead of 2007 :) 

I was away from SL for some years and I just decided to return as soon as I knew about the increase of "free" land to premium.

Again, many thanks to you both :)

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

{ 

state_entry() 
    { 

llStopSound(); 

llSleep(.2); 

} 
}

sorry to get back, I got audacity and a free file, saw also an old vídeo from Torley Linden, followed all steps but it continues to give me error when uploading stating that it needs to have 44.1hz 

UPDATE: just used an online converter and it worked :)

Edited by Nuno McCullough
add update
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1938 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.