Is it griefing if you push someone on your own property?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I bought my parcel on Zindra and moved my club to it, I divided the land on the moderate sim in two, sold the road front half and kept the rest as a park/natural area. It's open access. There are trees, flowers, an ancient stone circle of unknown origin, generally  it's just  a pretty place to hang out. There's bees and dragonflies flying around, the sounds of nature fill the air. However there is also a rather angry hornets nest. Every 30 seconds they scan at a range of 30 meters and swarm out and attack strangers, pushing them to the property line.

If I'm anywhere on the property the sound of the angry swarm tells me they got another victim.

One time I logged in and found a car crashed against one of the stones in the circle, the owner nowhere to be found and I could only imagine that after the driver crashed, the hornets had got him.

So anyway, is this griefing? It's a much gentler kinder form of exclusion than a zero notice, TP you home security system. But still, is it possible for people to be offended and complain? 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

One time I logged in and found a car crashed against one of the stones in the circle, the owner nowhere to be found and I could only imagine that after the driver crashed, the hornets had got him.

It's more likely that the driver got unseated at a region crossing and the car continued on until it hit an object. I've seen unoccupied vehicles continue on for several regions.

Of course, that's a much less provocative subject for a forum thread.

• Like 2

personally it doesnt worry me, i find it is just another form of security orb, or teleport home message.

If your hornets nest is on a public sim, by this i mean.. come and see the sim i have built for you all free entry! and when you land you get the hornets nest.. well thats just f&*3ing annoying and questions could be raised as to the validity of such an object.

If it is on a smaller lot and could just be your own SL home or garden, i dont really see an issue as i stated its like a security orb, but then again thats just my opinion, and others could consider it a form of griefing.

I would just send the car back to the owner lol.

Edited by panatropica
typo fix

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

It's more likely that the driver got unseated at a region crossing and the car continued on until it hit an object. I've seen unoccupied vehicles continue on for several regions.

Interesting, except the rock was phantom, and I have the land set allow object entry for group only. I would have assumed the car would have been stopped at the property line if it was unoccupied, yet it continued in and was tipped up against a phantom rock.

That suggests to me that  it was occupied when it crossed the property line. The car got stuck for whatever reason, the driver stood up, and the hornets got him.

56 minutes ago, panatropica said:

personally it doesnt worry me, i find it is just another form of security orb, or teleport home message.

If your hornets nest is on a public sim, by this i mean.. come and see the sim i have built for you all free entry! and when you land you get the hornets nest.. well thats just f&*3ing annoying and questions could be raised as to the validity of such an object.

If it is on a smaller lot and could just be your own SL home or garden, i dont really see an issue as i stated its like a security orb, but then again thats just my opinion, and others could consider it a form of griefing.

I would just send the car back to the owner lol.

It's about 5000 sq m, my own personal space but open to anyone that wanders by. The hornets only scan about half the parcel, and don't even scan as far as my house. I'm not really interested in security per se but to provide a more realistic experience, because seriously, if you are walking thru the woods in RL and you see a large hornets nest up in a tree, you do NOT want to disturb them.

I've sent several vehicles home that have crashed on my property. I regularly do a "list prims" scan  and send home anything that's not supposed to be there.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
changed a word

@BilliJo Aldrin

First you want to know if pouring scorn on someone is against the rules here, and now you want to know if physically interfering with people is allowed in SL when it's done on your own land.  It says a LOT about the questioner. If nothing else, it indicates that you're scared as hell of being suspended again, and maybe even banned, but it also says a lot about you, yourself - that you really do enjoy being bad to people. However, as far as I know, neither of them is against any rules.

In this case, why not just use a security device if you don't want people on your land, instead of playting silly beggars with them? Your method isn't exactly the spirit of "open access"is it?

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

@BilliJo Aldrin

First you want to know if pouring scorn on someone isagainst the rules here, and now you want to know if physically interfering with people is allowed in SL when it's on your own land.  It says a LOT about the questioner. If nothing lese, it indiscates that you're scared as hell of being suspended again, and maybe even banned, but it also says a lot about you, yourself - that you really do enjoy being bad to people. However, as far as I know, neither of them is against any rules.

In this case, why not just use a security device if you don't want people on your land, instead of playting silly beggars with them? Your method isn't exactly the spirit of "open access"is it?

I don't mind at all if people come onto my land. I've never used a security orb or ban lines. I do use a black list though. 

Let me check to see who in the forum is on it.

One thing my threads do prove is that people are very predictable, and you can almost always guess how someone will answer before you even ask the question.

• Like 1

lol. And I can predict how one particular person will use scorn - since she learned more about it, and has been practising it, in the last days ;) Are you looking to take Solar's crown? You need a lot more practise if that's your aim lol.

As I said, allowing people onto your land, and then auto-attacking them, isn't exactly in the spirit of open access, is it? It's just playing silly beggars with them. You did ask.

Oh and, please put me on your black list if I'm not already on it. It'll make us both feel good lol.

18 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

lol. And I can predict how one particular person will use scorn - since she learned more about it, and has been practising it, in the last days ;) Are you looking to take Solar's crown? You need a lot more practise if that's your aim lol.

As I said, allowing people onto your land, and then auto-attacking them, isn't exactly in the spirit of open access, is it? It's just playing silly beggars with them. You did ask.

Oh and, please put me on your black list if I'm not already on it. It'll make us both feel good lol.

I don't blacklist anyone without cause. Besides,  I'd be far more amused to see that you actually did show up on one of my properties.

But that does bring up another interesting topic for discussion.

Are visitor trackers that tell you when someone lands on your property allowed or are they a violation of second life "privacy" rules?

22 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I don't blacklist anyone without cause. Besides,  I'd be far more amused to see that you actually did show up on one of my properties.

There is absolutely no chance of that happening. Not so much that it's you, although that would be a good enough reason, but because I rarely set foot outside my own place.

30 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Are visitor trackers that tell you when someone lands on your property allowed or are they a violation of second life "privacy" rules?

Considering the place I rent a 4096 (on an Island) from hasn't removed a similar capability from the security system they offer ...

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

It's about 5000 sq m, my own personal space but open to anyone that wanders by. The hornets only scan about half the parcel, and don't even scan as far as my house. I'm not really interested in security per se but to provide a more realistic experience, because seriously, if you are walking thru the woods in RL and you see a large hornets nest up in a tree, you do NOT want to disturb them.

I've sent several vehicles home that have crashed on my property. I regularly do a "list prims" scan  and send home anything that's not supposed to be there.

And the description of the lot is "Natural Area for everyone to enjoy." I wasn't aware that realistic hornets maintained a constant 30-meter perimeter around their nests either.

If you'd mentioned, "Look out for the hornets" in your description? If you'd set the hive to attack on "touch" instead of scanning? Quite different. As it is, you've got things set up to try to increase the chance that the hornets will attack, which suggests that was your goal.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

And the description of the lot is "Natural Area for everyone to enjoy." I wasn't aware that realistic hornets maintained a constant 30-meter perimeter around their nests either.

If you'd mentioned, "Look out for the hornets" in your description? If you'd set the hive to attack on "touch" instead of scanning? Quite different. As it is, you've got things set up to try to increase the chance that the hornets will attack, which suggests that was your goal.

I don't advertise the place anywhere, its not in the destination guide, there are no ad boards anywhere, I haven't even posted a slurl in this thread. So if you stumble upon it and enter you take your chance on encountering a zero time warning security orb or a hornet swarm. No one would question my right to use the orb so why are you questioning the hornet swarm?

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

There is absolutely no chance of that happening. Not so much that it's you, although that would be a good enough reason, but because I rarely set foot outside my own place.

I'm curious why anyone would log into Second Life and then not actually go anywhere?

6 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I don't advertise the place anywhere, its not in the destination guide, there are no ad boards anywhere, I haven't even posted a slurl in this thread. So if you stumble upon it and enter you take your chance on encountering a zero time warning security orb or a hornet swarm. No one would question my right to use the orb so why are you questioning the hornet swarm?

You forgot "If you stumble upon it,  see the specific invitation that it's for everyone to enjoy and enter it."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

So anyway, is this griefing? It's a much gentler kinder form of exclusion than a zero notice, TP you home security system. But still, is it possible for people to be offended and complain? 

No, its on your land. Your not trying to crash them, your not really attacking them per say. It gently pushes them to the edge of the parcel. The most you might get is some entitled whiney ass complaining that they feel they have some right to go wherever they like. Its not like your up and dropping a whole box of d**ks on them that fly round and orbit the person. I wouldn't consider this griefing at all.

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

Now now Phil, lets keep it nice and chill xD

15 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I'm curious why anyone would log into Second Life and then not actually go anywhere?

Frugalism

Edited by chibiusa Ling
Frugalism....
  • Like 1

It kinda sounds like a bait and switch thing. You invite people to enjoy your land but you essentially have a security orb activated to remove people. You advertise in the description one thing but in reality it's a very inhospitable place. Of course it's your land and you can whatever you want with it. It's not griefing. But it is bait and switch IMO.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

So if you stumble upon it and enter you take your chance on encountering a zero time warning security orb or a hornet swarm. No one would question my right to use the orb so why are you questioning the hornet swarm?

Nobody would question your right to use a zero-time security device, but probably everyone would tell you that you shouldn't do it.

2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

It kinda sounds like a bait and switch thing. You invite people to enjoy your land but you essentially have a security orb activated to remove people. You advertise in the description one thing but in reality it's a very inhospitable place. Of course it's your land and you can whatever you want with it. It's not griefing. But it is bait and switch IMO.

Actually the swarm only covers half the property so if u entered right after a scan you'd have 30 seconds to walk out of range. Maybe I could be more sporting and drop the range to 15 m

• Like 1

It sounds childish and spiteful, and I'd be very disappointed to encounter it.  There are few lovely, inviting places on the Mainland as it is without one pretending to be an open park.  You also assume people share your mean humour, or you're using that excuse to cover your spite.  Blacklist me if it makes you feel good; it's not somewhere I'd care to enter.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.