Why allow a display name for sl to remove it an hour later?

MilaDolly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

If SL does not want to allow the font i used for my display name, then why allow the name change to begin with?

An hour later my display name is gone and reset to username....so i have to wait a week to get my name back......

Why cant a pop up say - no we dont allow this, try again....rather than reset the name and make me wait a week?

11 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, MilaDolly said:

If SL does not want to allow the font i used for my display name, then why allow the name change to begin with?

An hour later my display name is gone and reset to username....so i have to wait a week to get my name back......

Why cant a pop up say - no we dont allow this, try again....rather than reset the name and make me wait a week?

as you ask if and why questions, here some back:

if you know it's caused by fonts perhaps choose one that's supported by most machines?

An hour ago yours poofed, use a grouptitle of a group you own to fill the gap for a few days

Why need a pop up if you know fancy pancy stuff sometimes gets removed?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ethan Paslong said:

as you ask if and why questions, here some back:

if you know it's caused by fonts perhaps choose one that's supported by most machines?

An hour ago yours poofed, use a grouptitle of a group you own to fill the gap for a few days

Why need a pop up if you know fancy pancy stuff sometimes gets removed?

Ive used a similar font and had it in place for 7 months so didnt expect a problem

23 hours ago, MilaDolly said:

No just 'Mila Rose' 

There are some fancy characters that get rejected.

This is sort of problem because they can't catch the problem until it moves from the website into the backend servers. Your viewer can be left thinking things are great and be using the invalid name. Then when an update from the server is triggered you see the name poof from the viewer.

I feel you. It is annoying. But it is apparently enough of a technical problem between the database servers, web servers, and viewers that the Lindens can't create an easy fix. The fix is apparently more complex and time consuming than the problem is common or annoying.

On 1/1/2019 at 2:14 PM, MilaDolly said:

Ive used a similar font and had it in place for 7 months so didnt expect a problem

Similar or the 'exact' same font AND characters before?  The minute the font changes or any fancy characters are used, all bets are off.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

Did you know that backwards "R" is a Cyrillic letter that is pronounced "ya"?  The O with the little tail is a lowercase Greek letter sigma, pronounced "ess".  The curly "E" is another Greek letter, epsilon, pronounced as a short e.  So your last name would not be pronounced "Rose", but something like "yahsseh."

This is the problem (one of them) with nonstandard fonts.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

This is the problem (one of them) with nonstandard fonts.

Any time I see a non-Roman alphabet used as a screen name or group title I address that person either at "hey you" or their "Account Name" - in a shorthand version, of course: the first three letters. (And where did that type of shorthand come from, anyway: the three-letter truncation? I am addressed as "Aly" all the time.) 

Cannot wait for name-change ability. Gonna change my first name to Hue. Bahahahaha! No, wait, then everyone will think it's pronounced "Hyoo" when it's really "Hwey". Ugh.

But, yeah: stupid non-Roman characters in titles and names are such wow.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.