You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1924 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

So, I saw Strawberry Singh's latest New Year's blog post, from Avatar Social Networkers' Website, and was intrigued about TED .  I have seriously spent ALL day watching these videos, and have just been VERY excited!  Even found an old video on there about SL from Philip Rosedale, from 2008!

I've been trying to share some of my favorite videos with others (like friends and groups)... but they're just not too receptive.  ...Is this because TED is old news?  

In the age of "sacrificing TV to pay for the internet" (which is what I'm finding happening a lot these days... or ROKU, Firestick, Netflix, or whatever-have-you)... I'm actually very glad I stumbled upon something like this, and am surprised a lot of others aren't nearly as excited.

Where are all the like-minds that would like to talk about their favorite videos, or videos that should be made, etc., etc.?

SL think tank!  I think that would be great!  Especially for a world of creative ppl!  What say you?  😁

• Like 2

I've been a TED fan since the start, and once promised myself I'd watch one TED talk a day. That hasn't happened. If you like TED, you may also like these...

https://www.npr.org/series/423302056/hidden-brain
https://www.wnycstudios.org/shows/radiolab
https://www.wnycstudios.org/shows/otm
https://onbeing.org
https://www.thisamericanlife.org
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510298/ted-radio-hour

I actually find TED to be the least consistent of the bunch, though the TED Radio Hour podcast picks from the best talks. TEDx talks have even greater variability, due to the sheer volume of presentations.

NPR hosts quite a few podcasts, you'll find a complete list here...
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/

The only preset stations on my car and home radios are NPR affiliates. The rapid vapid banter of commercial stations makes my brain hurt.

As a way to counter what seems to be an increasing impatience for thought, I have proposed an "idea of the month" club to my RL friends, where participants would host an evening of food and discussion centered around some topic. They've all been fairly enthusiastic about it. I'm actually remodeling my family room around the idea, making it easy to rearrange the furniture to support up to a dozen people facing each other... or the movie screen, should ideas fail us.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BlueVioletVixen Lorefield said:

Nice! 

L💘ve that promo video you posted too!  That's great!

What are your favorite videos?

Like most of the programs I enjoy, it's the craft of storytelling that makes them go. And nobody does that better than Rives...

There is a bit of magic in the human brain, called the reticular activating system. If you watch the linked videos, you will now be primed to recognize passing references to 4AM. There is nothing you can do to prevent this, so just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

I have a crush on the late Hans Rosling, who shows just how important the storytelling craft is to science...

Bill Gates called Hans' book "Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World--and Why Things Are Better Than You Think" one of the most important books he's ever read.

http://time.com/5224618/bill-gates-hans-rosling-factfulness/

Interesting!

...I must admit, I do not know how to encode video to the forums as you do.  I wanted to check TED for this video to see when it had come out, but the address did not take me to a successful place.  So now... I am watching all of Hans Rosling's videos and find them all very wonderful!

...Do you have this book recommended by Gates?  Have you read it?  ...I wish that a book like that would be some type of required reading in schools, to promote positivity and strength together, in the world, as a whole.

2 minutes ago, BlueVioletVixen Lorefield said:

Interesting!...I must admit, I do not know how to encode video to the forums as you do.  I wanted to check TED for this video to see when it had come out, but the address did not take me to a successful place.

Most YouTube videos can be pasted into forum posts, and most TED talks are available on YouTube. Just go to YouTube, find the video you want, copy the URL from that page and paste it into your post.

4 minutes ago, BlueVioletVixen Lorefield said:

...Do you have this book recommended by Gates?  Have you read it?  ...I wish that a book like that would be some type of required reading in schools, to promote positivity and strength together, in the world, as a whole.

I do have it. I have not yet read it. I expect it'll be familiar, though filled with much more data than Hans' TED talks.

Getting people to read can be difficult in a world where the instant gratification of Facebook and the mind numbing effect of passive media consumption abound. Still, I remain optimistic. I've had some luck directing people to podcasts and audio books, which can be listened to while doing other things.

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Most YouTube videos can be pasted into forum posts, and most TED talks are available on YouTube. Just go to YouTube, find the video you want, copy the URL from that page and paste it into your post.

I do have it. I have not yet read it. I expect it'll be familiar, though filled with much more data than Hans' TED talks.

Getting people to read can be difficult in a world where the instant gratification of Facebook and the mind numbing effect of passive media consumption abound. Still, I remain optimistic. I've had some luck directing people to podcasts and audio books, which can be listened to while doing other things.

There is nothing like being able to sit down with a good hardback book and become so engrossed in the story that the real world ceases to exist...

until you have to get up to go to the bathroom. 

9_9 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

There is nothing like being able to sit down with a good hardback book and become so engrossed in the story that the real world ceases to exist...

Hide contents

until you have to get up to go to the bathroom. 

9_9 

I find that reading on the toilet works just fine.

And yus, I would like to be one of the ppl who read more than watches or listens... but I have not had much success with books... 

I cannot find a classic that has defined me.  I note that "Of Mice And Men" successfully made me cry.  But I found things like "Wicked," the musical, to be better than the book (the book was too political).  "The Ice Storm" movie was better than the book (although, I can appreciate why the book ended that way).  And "Orange Is The New Black" on Netflix was far more captivating than the actual book ...It seems the list goes on and on.  It is yet to be determined, tho, if "Eat, Pray, Love" is better on screen... I think they only aired it once on TV and I was too tired to make it thru the whole thing, but I was quite fond of the book.  And one day I would like to read "A Clockwork Orange," because I really loved the movie (until one of my colleagues never managed to return it to me, LOL, I suppose because they loved it as well!!!).

However, I also feel that as long as you can find a book in a library, you should be able to read it for free online.  That is how I ended up liking "The Alchemist," but then was also disappointed by "Lolita."

SooOoOOooo.... That's why these >20 minute videos are so easy to digest.  They're easily attained, easy to do while multitasking with 2 screens, and you can always click on another one if you don't like the first (but that has seemed to yet happen).

11 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'm not interested in ending up stuck to the toilet seat with a ring on my @$$. shiftyeyes.gif.b8a11db333c45b330cd508df8cc3e9b4.gif

Eventually, your (ok, my) legs fall asleep and time to get up. 

Back on topic, I think my company hosted a speaker who have TED talks..she was a double amputee athlete (who also competed on DWTS).

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

That sounds like Aimee Mullins...

Yep. Attendance was so big, some employees had to watch on screens from the Atrium. During her talk, someone passed out and there was a long interruption - those of us watching remote were afraid it was the guest star who had an emergency.

9 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Before Aimee Mullins, the non-TED special speakers were Tony Dungee, Sugar Ray Leonard..I think the current US company President likes sports too much. I’d prefer if we had more global speakers, being a global company now.

I agree.  They should take everyone into consideration.  Still, that's cool that your company has special speakers come in.  That's the next best thing to going to school and getting to go on a field trip!  ...What kind of cool company brings in speakers aside from maybe Google?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1924 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.