Guys its 2019 what can we bring to SL this year

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SL has been here since what, 2003? since then computers are like 50 times more powerful at least, graphic cards are blazing fast, most now have blazing fast internet speed, yet, rezzing hasn't improved much at all, and maybe gone done some because of all the complex mesh. It is true SL is more stable in general than in the old days, just not really any faster. and once you turn on the shaders and shadows still the same ol crap show.  Try being at a sim with 40+ mesh avatars with all the shaders on.

and one would think by now that sim crossings would be seamless too 

• Like 2

I would be really happy with more tools for building things in world.   I think it would be great to be able to actually sculpt prims, or combine multiple prims to form a single item that has less of a land impact.  

I don't mind people having their security systems in place, and I respect their desire for privacy, but being booted while flying or boating gets a bit tedious.  It would be nice if perhaps anything that employs such a security feature, would allow us to see it though so we could avoid them.  Perhaps just an option for some of us to enable, that would display on the client side a visible bubble around the area impacted by the security orb.  That way, land owners, renters, and explorers can all avoid troubling one another.  As it stands now, I'll be flying around one moment and the next I'll have a loading screen with no warning. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

As it stands now, I'll be flying around one moment and the next I'll have a loading screen with no warning. 

In the 14 years I've been a resident I have never seen a loading screen within SL. To log in, yes. Otherwise, no. Could you please be more specific as to what you mean by loading screen?

12 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Could you please be more specific as to what you mean by loading screen?

The screen that displays when you teleport, I'm used to calling them loading screens because they have a loading bar.  I should have just said loading bar, in retrospect because the screen is entirely blank besides one window that pops up, flashes some text, and displays the bar.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WillowTenage said:

The screen that displays when you teleport, I'm used to calling them loading screens because they have a loading bar.  I should have just said loading bar, in retrospect because the screen is entirely blank besides one window that pops up, flashes some text, and displays the bar.  

Huh. Never seen that either. What viewer do you use? 

21 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

You've never seen the teleport progress screen before - in the entirety of your usage of Second Life, really?

Until TPVs (last I recall) you couldn't disable them being shown.

Oops. I've had those turned off for so long I'd forgotten they existed. I haven't used the official viewer in 12 years or so.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

6 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Oops. I've had those turned off for so long I'd forgotten they existed. I haven't used the official viewer in 12 years or so.

Heh, I've kept them on out of habit as well as a way to tell when a teleport has stalled and to give the computer a moment to unload the prior sim a bit more.

Edited by Solar Legion
Typo

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

Heh, I've kept them on out of habit as well as a way to tell when a teleport has staled and to give the computer a moment to unload the prior sim a bit more.

That's a good thing. 

I so rarely have tp issues and when I do it's always been a case of everyone having the same issue(s). In other words, the problem has been on LL's end, not mine. 

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

That's a good thing. 

I so rarely have tp issues and when I do it's always been a case of everyone having the same issue(s). In other words, the problem has been on LL's end, not mine. 

Understandable and yeah, more often than not the issue is on LL's end. More or less it's an early warning system sort of thing.

If a teleport stalls for example, it's usually not my end. Sim loading/unloading certainly is though!

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Understandable and yeah, more often than not the issue is on LL's end. More or less it's an early warning system sort of thing.

If a teleport stalls for example, it's usually not my end. Sim loading/unloading certainly is though!

Hm. Don't really have any issues with sim loading/unloading either and this is my setup:

ASUS M51BC Series
Windows 10 Home 64bit
AMD FX(tm)-8300 Eight-Core Processor, 3.3 GHz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
RAM 24 GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 OC 2GB

Connection is FiOS. Perhaps the difference lies in the FiOS?

I've been meaning to ask, are your spirits rising?

12 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Hm. Don't really have any issues with sim loading/unloading either and this is my setup:

ASUS M51BC Series
Windows 10 Home 64bit
AMD FX(tm)-8300 Eight-Core Processor, 3.3 GHz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
RAM 24 GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 OC 2GB

Connection is FiOS. Perhaps the difference lies in the FiOS?

I've been meaning to ask, are your spirits rising?

Heh, the loading/unloading thing is a holdover from the days of Windows XP. The current system I am on - a shared rig no less - is on Linux, X Ubuntu. 16GB DDR3 RAM, an I7-4096K and a Zotac branded nVidia GeForce 980 (AMP edition) I cannot remember if it's 2GB or 4GB of VRAM.

And yes, that's me over on (what is now) VVO - I thought I'd listed my Second Life account on my profile there ...

Meh!

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

Heh, the loading/unloading thing is a holdover from the days of Windows XP. The current system I am on - a shared rig no less - is on Linux, X Ubuntu. 16GB DDR3 RAM, an I7-4096K and a Zotac branded nVidia GeForce 980 (AMP edition) I cannot remember if it's 2GB or 4GB of VRAM.

And yes, that's me over on (what is now) VVO - I thought I'd listed my Second Life account on my profile there ...

Meh!

Ah. I gotcha.

I thought I remembered you mentioning the Solar account way back on SLU is all, so I was just making sure I knew who I was talking to. xD

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Ah. I gotcha.

I thought I remembered you mentioning the Solar account way back on SLU is all, so I was just making sure I knew who I was talking to. xD

Heh, no worries on that! Yep, I'm the - often - cactus-like fox.

Edited by Solar Legion
Seriously? THAT triggers the censor?
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Ah ok. You are aware you can turn those off (in FS) if you would prefer not to see them yes?

I didn't, but now I do :) I saw your post a few minutes ago regarding turning it off and have been teleporting like a crazed person since then.   It is so much nicer with it turned off, I think this is probably going to be my default now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

I didn't, but now I do :) I saw your post a few minutes ago regarding turning it off and have been teleporting like a crazed person since then.   It is so much nicer with it turned off, I think this is probably going to be my default now.

Glad I could help! :D

• Like 1

hmm.. as the topic was 'what could we bring to sl' not 'what could ll or another tpv viewer bring to sl'. I think it would be tolerance and acceptance on differing views and opinions. that no one way is the best or true or correct or right or only way for things to be done in sl.

towards many of the other things that were said they are all good too; but are sort of off topic, since the topic was what we as users could bring to sl in the new year, not necessary what ll or tpv developers should bring to sl.

for if that was the case there are lots of things that could be added, but it would be pointless to list them here since its highly doubtful some of them would be added because unless they were part of the majority wanted features, then it means very little. And face it the forums make up the minority of the players not the majority.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

hmm.. as the topic was 'what could we bring to sl' not 'what could ll or another tpv viewer bring to sl'. I think it would be tolerance and acceptance on differing views and opinions. that no one way is the best or true or correct or right or only way for things to be done in sl.

towards many of the other things that were said they are all good too; but are sort of off topic, since the topic was what we as users could bring to sl in the new year, not necessary what ll or tpv developers should bring to sl.

for if that was the case there are lots of things that could be added, but it would be pointless to list them here since its highly doubtful some of them would be added because unless they were part of the majority wanted features, then it means very little. And face it the forums make up the minority of the players not the majority.

“Itz nert a gaem !!”

”proportionality!!!”

”those fashionistas and their high poly clothes!!!”

”I hate mesh...it ruined SL!”

yeah right...hate keeps this forum going

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

“Itz nert a gaem !!”

”proportionality!!!”

”those fashionistas and their high poly clothes!!!”

”I hate mesh...it ruined SL!”

yeah right...hate keeps this forum going

unfortunately this is true and true for a lot of places too online.

7 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

What SL needs in 2019 is a mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe. You can overlook a lot of things  (like lag) if you have a good MLT in your hand.

They’re so perky! I love that!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.