Guys its 2019 what can we bring to SL this year

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Firstly happy new year to you all!!

So, its 2019. What do you guys want to see brought to SL this year. Whether user a user created product or service or by the virtue of the gods over at Linden Lab?. One thing iv been giving thought to is learning C++ and starting to mess around with the viewer code, I have some neat ideas I would like to implement. What about the rest of you?

• Like 5

I would like to see a miracle cure that would make all current appliers work with BoM without having to use an applier ever again. You see why I say miracle cure. I think this is impossible, but I've learned with technology what was once an impossibility has become commonplace, so fingers crossed.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

Didn't firestorm once attempt this?. @Whirly Fizzle Am I right in thinking that. I'm sure it was Firestorm. Why was it never implemented?

Yes.  Zi Ree, one of the Firestorm devs had rudimentary working mirrors in Firestorm.
She attached a patch for the LL viewer on STORM-2055 - Real mirror reflections on prims

Firestorm wasn't allowed to release with it, even as an experimental feature because it was against "the shared experience".

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

31 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Yes.  Zi Ree, one of the Firestorm devs had rudimentary working mirrors in Firestorm.
She attached a patch for the LL viewer on STORM-2055 - Real mirror reflections on prims

Firestorm wasn't allowed to release with it, even as an experimental feature because it was against "the shared experience".

Im guessing this is because Firestorm is self certified as a third party viewer and has to adhere to certain standards because of that?. I mean you could technically argue that half of the features in firestorm are against "the shared experience" when you compare the lack of features the official viewer has. Or the enhanced visuals of Black Dragon compared to other viewers. Or the cool viewer which has numerous fixes and enhancements that the official and other viewer does not. How do they define the shared experience?. They will hate me as a viewer developer then if I do take this up. My ideas definitely move away from a shared experience ha

• Like 2

* First name / last name selection ability for ALL players, fee-free and regardless of membership type

* Land discounts for merchants who offer trivia machines, money trees, pay-per-votebox facilities, etc, on their land - assist newbies.

* A ban on ALL banline systems that offer less than 100 seconds to leave the area - and punishment for those who set them for quicker ejection periods. Disabled people use SL too!

* Utilisation of abandoned land for independent/unfunded educational and arts-related projects.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, clivesteel said:

* First name / last name selection ability for ALL players, fee-free and regardless of membership type

This!...absolutely. Though I understand that LL needs to make money in order to continue operating. I would be happy if they just removed the premium requirement. At least then its only one single payment instead of having to pay for premium and THEN having to pay for a name change. Or if they allowed a name change in one of the new premium packages they are going to be offering.

11 minutes ago, clivesteel said:

* Land discounts for merchants who offer trivia machines, money trees, pay-per-votebox facilities, etc, on their land - assist newbies.

Do people still use these?. I haven't seen a money tree in years.

12 minutes ago, clivesteel said:

* A ban on ALL banline systems that offer less than 100 seconds to leave the area - and punishment for those who set them for quicker ejection periods. Disabled people use SL too!

You would hate my land then. I have my security system set to boot someone as soon as they step a foot in there.

12 minutes ago, clivesteel said:

* Utilisation of abandoned land for independent/unfunded educational and arts-related projects.

This is a neat idea. It would help make use of the wasteland that is Mainland. But then I guess the answer to that would be "What will LL charge us for elsewhere to make up for them not getting any tier during that period" xDD

45 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

Im guessing this is because Firestorm is self certified as a third party viewer and has to adhere to certain standards because of that?. I mean you could technically argue that half of the features in firestorm are against "the shared experience" when you compare the lack of features the official viewer has.

Features generally don't interfere with the 'shared experience', because they don't cause users to see and interact with things differently. Take RLV, as an example. The fact that one avatar that I can see has forced dominance over another one that I can see, doesn't change my experience in SL one iota, irrespective of which viewer I'm using.

A mirror that can only work with a 3rd party viewer, on the other hand, means that my non-mirror-viewer experience in SL will be different to the experience of a user of a mirror enabled viewer in SL.

I'm open to being corrected but I imagine that's what the 'shared experience' means, and why the mirror was disallowed.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

I have my security system set to boot someone as soon as they step a foot in there.

You ought to change that to the time it takes an avatar to walk across the full length of the parcel, plus a few seconds.

I agree with clivesteel's suggestion about security and booting, except that 100 seconds is way to long a time. 20 seconds as a legal minimum would be good though, provided that the device puts dialogs up and doesn't rely on local chat warnings which can easily not be seen. In fact, I'd add dialogs for that purpose as compulsory.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

My wishlist for 2019 (and 2020 and possibly forever): an option for an improved built in standard avatar

I agree with you on this. As much as I love my classic avatars. It would be pretty neat if they created a DECENT looking default bento avatar to replace the current system body. I doubt they would do it though as it would take revenue away from other mesh body creators. It is in need of doing though. The new "starter" avs they created are "okay" but something more customisable and dedicated would be amazing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

And Linden Lab themselves broke "the shared experience" in the forums by giving the forum dark theme. So they can break shared experience, others not. 😬

@Linden Lab

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

I agree with you on this. As much as I love my classic avatars. It would be pretty neat if they created a DECENT looking default bento avatar to replace the current system body. I doubt they would do it though as it would take revenue away from other mesh body creators. It is in need of doing though. The new "starter" avs they created are "okay" but something more customisable and dedicated would be amazing.

Bold by me.

The idea of taking revenue away became a non issue when Linden Homes came about.  It was argued they would destroy the rental business but still we have Linden Homes.  And I for one love my Linden Home, its just perfect for me, and with Premium its FREE.

1 hour ago, chibiusa Ling said:

Im guessing this is because Firestorm is self certified as a third party viewer and has to adhere to certain standards because of that?. I mean you could technically argue that half of the features in firestorm are against "the shared experience" when you compare the lack of features the official viewer has. Or the enhanced visuals of Black Dragon compared to other viewers. Or the cool viewer which has numerous fixes and enhancements that the official and other viewer does not. How do they define the shared experience?. They will hate me as a viewer developer then if I do take this up. My ideas definitely move away from a shared experience ha

26 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Features generally don't interfere with the 'shared experience', because they don't cause users to see and interact with things differently. Take RLV, as an example. The fact that one avatar that I can see has forced dominance over another one that I can see, doesn't change my experience in SL one iota, irrespective of which viewer I'm using.

A mirror that can only work with a 3rd party viewer, on the other hand, means that my non-mirror-viewer experience in SL will be different to the experience of a user of a mirror enabled viewer in SL.

I'm open to being corrected but I imagine that's what the 'shared experience' means, and why the mirror was disallowed.

Well, when the "shared experience" rule was brought in, two of the things LL listed as violating the shared experience were RLV/RLVa and Firestorm's parcel windlight.
We (meaning Jess)  had to fight really hard to keep both those features.
The deal was that LL would do their own "parcel windlight" feature eventually & as long as that provided all the shiny of the Firestorm parcel windlight, Firestorm would remove their parcel windlight feature. This will happen soon with the LL EEP (Environment Enhancement Project) feature, which is brilliant & much better the the Firestorm parcel windlight. So this is a win-win for everyone. LL have done an amazing job with EEP.

Nothing ever happened with RLV/RLVa.  I think LL knew they would have a lot of users out with pitchforks if that feature was ever banned  :D
Though LL do now have the experiences feature that I suspect LL hope will eventually replace RLV/RLVa, but I personally doubt it as RLV/RLVa is still much more powerful.

LL are also much stricter with what they allow Firestorm to do, because we have such a lot of users.
Although I personally find this really annoying & I don't think it's fair that smaller TPVs are allowed to bend the rules more then Firestorm is, I can understand LL's stance.  It's just not worth their time to chase up small TPVs that don't have many users to force them to comply with the shared experience rule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How about Linden Labs actually push out a smart phone/SL app for our mobile phones? Seriously. Mobile phones are blooming and bigger than ever before. Gaming on mobile is the future, even MMO's are pushing out sequels to mobiles. (Aion 2) for example.

Sure there is Lumyia, but it isn't for the Iphone...... Sure Iphone has Metachat (text based mobile viewer) but it's just terrible, and never gets fixed, probably never will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, WinTrain said:

How about Linden Labs actually push out a smart phone/SL app for our mobile phones? Seriously. Mobile phones are blooming and bigger than ever before. Gaming on mobile is the future, even MMO's are pushing out sequels to mobiles. (Aion 2) for example.

Sure there is Lumyia, but it isn't for the Iphone...... Sure Iphone has Metachat (text based mobile viewer) but it's just terrible, and never gets fixed, probably never will.

Phones are still sorry little potatoes in terms of performance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

5 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Then you do not have a good phone. It's simple as that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

The topic was "what can we bring to SL" not what do you want someone else to do for you.

If you want to port SL to your phone, download the code and do it. It should be obvious that there is a demand for it.  It should be equally obvious why no one has done it yet. But if your phone can run Second Life, maybe you can do it.  I say go for it. 

• Like 5

The problem for a new starter avatar is that, to make people use it it should be not only well made and documented, but also should come full perm and with a blender project ready to use.

But even if it was made by a game asset professional (And i don't see LL having the ability to select this kind of contractor or wanting to pay what it would truly cost), if it's free people will automatically assume that it's inferior.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.