strange connection issue

Curvy69

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all 

I have a strange issue since today , quite difficult to explain

since today my internet provider replace my ADSL connection by optic fiber technologie , so a better one  , better flowrate , pass from 5Mb to 90Mb

the guy from the internet provider compagny didn 't change anything except  he just connected the optic fiber on my old Box, as this  is compatible with the both technologie, ADSL and Optic.

no problem with internet , TV or others ,except with SL now.

At first I can't be connected to the official secondlife internet site and impossible to log in game. After  half an hour,  I can connect to the second life site and my viewer start to load  and finaly fail at the "country handshake" step. this with several viewers.

hopefully my old adsl connection was still availaible, so I replace the fiber optic cable with my old phone cable and then , all is righ, no issue all works perfectly !! can you help me? why SL doesn t work with the Optic fiber technologie ?

I already tryed to open some port describe in some FAQ about connection.

Edited by Curvy69

1 hour ago, Curvy69 said:

At first I can't be connected to the official secondlife internet site and impossible to log in game. After  half an hour,  I can connect to the second life site and my viewer start to load  and finaly fail at the "country handshake" step. this with several viewers.

Sure sounds as if your ISP is having trouble setting up the network behind that fiber optic connection. I suppose you've already tried removing and then resupplying power to the ISP-provided modem/router box.

You mention having already followed steps in a connection FAQ, so this may not be new information, but you could try Nalate's guide to troubleshooting Second Life connections.

If it were me, I'd skip down to the part about DNS problems, just because it's such a common thing for ISPs to mess up (although that sorta fits the initial problem better than what you're seeing now).

EDIT: I should add, this really should be your ISP's problem to fix for you, but in my experience it's often helpful to get as far as possible in isolating the problem for them.

Edited by Qie Niangao

thank you for your reply, my knowledge about all this stuff is very poor.  ISP  means Internet provider ?

today  all seems to be good and I can connect to the  game, The technician who did the connection said I have to wait 24h to  have the phone acess , so perphaps my issue was in relation with some final setting by my ISP 

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.