Skybox etiquette

Asylum Habilis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm new to apartment rentals but I'm sure someone here can lemme know. Is there an etiquette to putting a skybox on a rented space? I'm well below my prim count at the moment and plan to continue to respect it (I'm at 52/200 right now) but should I ask my landlord first or something?  I'm not paying for tier or anything, just clicked a rental box by an apartment and i'm around 1700ft, when I forgot to set a landmark I did see a couple boxes floating around as i flew back up. Is it no rules but prim count and proximity and of course, minding you stay on your parcel? 

2 minutes ago, Asylum Habilis said:

I'm new to apartment rentals but I'm sure someone here can lemme know. Is there an etiquette to putting a skybox on a rented space? I'm well below my prim count at the moment and plan to continue to respect it (I'm at 52/200 right now) but should I ask my landlord first or something?  I'm not paying for tier or anything, just clicked a rental box by an apartment and i'm around 1700ft, when I forgot to set a landmark I did see a couple boxes floating around as i flew back up. Is it no rules but prim count and proximity and of course, minding you stay on your parcel? 

You should speak to the landlord or check your covenant.  Different companies have different rules on skyboxes; height, proximity etc 

• Like 3

The common etiquette in SL is that skyboxes are fine above the visible range of the ground, unless a local policy says otherwise. The issue then becomes what is the visible range...

Some places will try to rent out the sky above you, and so make rules over that. Best to avoid rentals like that as things get cluttered and laggy fast.

The other common reason against a skybox will be to preserve the view at certain heights. Usually below 1000m. Some go lower.

Even if they let you builds a skybox at 100m off the groun, I recommend going above 1500m just for the combination of privacy, less interference with folks in flying vehicles, and less graphical lag.

I also try to always position my skyboxes 256 - 512m or more away from any others in the sky. Just set your camera range to 256+, and see if you can see anything. If you can, try a different height. This protects privacy for both you and them, and also makes it less likely your computer will lag from whatever somebody else has rezzed and vice versa.

For myself the final thing I do is surround my build in a solid mesh prim that is transparent on the inside, and I will either put a texture on the outside or make it invisible. This causes any flyers to bump into a harmless wall when they hit my boundaries... and so I can feel comfortable putting things like security orbs inside because no one will ever be inside on accident (for landowners: this is also better than banlines because it doesn't break scripted vehicles to hit a wall, but hitting a banline will break them - which is why very very very old parts of mainland often have abandoned vehicles sitting in the sky at weird angles).

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A few rules of etiquette for skybox owners:

1. Disable 'avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel'. No one wants to hear any sounds from your skybox. You gain some privacy. It's a win-win.

2. Turn off ban lines. A skybox is usually too high to be protected by these. No one wants to see pointless ugly barrier lines.

3. Don't make a dance club. Just don't.

4. If you log in and see that your next door neighbor has two green close together. You should probably go to another sim for a few minutes.

5. If you set up a security orb, give people some time to actually leave of their own free will before it teleports them. 

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

1. Disable 'avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel'. No one wants to hear any sounds from your skybox. You gain some privacy. It's a win-win.

That's a two way, disable your own skybox if you want privacy

7 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

4. If you log in and see that your next door neighbor has two green close together. You should probably go to another sim for a few minutes.

Why? If they made it "Not public" you won't see anything and god knows what they are doing - they might be just doing something innocent as using a horse avatar riding system...

Edited by Fionalein

4 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Then you would leave sim for me taking this picture with my friend, or doing something else innocent sitting on static poses close to each other for photography purposes. And good luck with that, because it can take me 20-60 minutes to be done (we talk in the process, so its not fast to find the right settings, when Im distracted...)

Snapshot_740f.jpg.14414a07da7eca7d9106014bc1cab1a9.jpg

There is plenty innocent reasons why two (or more) dots can be seen close to each other.

And, as Fionalein pointed out, if the neighbours, or if you set the privacy in parcel settings, you will not see anything. Even when it was set only for your own parcel, it works both directions, they cant see you AND you cant see them ...so why to leave? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

2. Turn off ban lines. A skybox is usually too high to be protected by these. No one wants to see pointless ugly barrier lines.

Is that still thing these days? I'm aware not all viewers are same and have same features, but the most used is Firestorm and there I didn't see banlines for years. To make them visible is optional. Other viewers don't have that? Or ppl just don't know about it ....?

5 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

This made me chuckle a little bit. Thats more privacy than the average next door neighbor in RL gets, as nobody in their right mind would take a stroll around the block, when they assume there is some action going on in their neighbors bedroom, which might be just on the other side of the wall from their own apartment.

In SL "neighbors" have usually several meters between them (up to several hundreds when it comes to skyboxes). If my neighbor would has a lover visiting, they invite them under the knowledge that they share the sim with other people, thus already accepting the fact, that others might be home too. If someone wants nobody else on the sim same when they have another green dot close to their own, they should rent an entire sim.

15 hours ago, Asylum Habilis said:

I'm not paying for tier or anything, just clicked a rental box by an apartment and i'm around 1700ft

Sounds like you are in one of those huge towers of blue domes that blight the SL skylines or something similar. Skyboxes are generally not allowed in these, you need to stay inside your dome.

2 hours ago, loverdag said:

Is that still thing these days? I'm aware not all viewers are same and have same features, but the most used is Firestorm and there I didn't see banlines for years. To make them visible is optional. Other viewers don't have that? Or ppl just don't know about it ....?

I usually keep them on at belwo 30 meters ... my cars would crash too often otherwise...

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

Sounds like you are in one of those huge towers of blue domes that blight the SL skylines or something similar. Skyboxes are generally not allowed in these, you need to stay inside your dome.

If its not separate parcel, but skybox-tower, then there is no option how to make neighbours invisible. But speaking about privacy if its not A-sim, then adult activities aren't allowed, because M-sim doens't allow to do so, if its not on private place "behind closed door" and skybox-tower on same parcel does't meet the rule. If its A-sim, then neighbours are aware their activities are partialy "public", its probably why they live on A-sim. So again, I see no reason why someone should leave their home "for walk" to give neighbours privacy ...

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

I usually keep them on at belwo 30 meters ... my cars would crash too often otherwise...

Yes, on mainland it make sense, I dont keep banlines on my parcel exactly for that, to be "vehicles friendly". But I asked because I see that explanation "banlines are ugly, nobody want to see them" as reason why they aren't allowed on some non-mainlands sims, where it make no sense about vehicles - there are only parcels for rent, no space between, no roads, no water roads. 

11 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

3. Don't make a dance club. Just don't.

That's basically a rule for ALL of Sl... 

/justsay'n

That said... if you put a dance club on mainland... PLEASE put it in a skybox... way the freak away from people trying to use mainland.

Likewise for shops.

6 hours ago, loverdag said:

Not only are they useless for stopping people, but vehicles break when they hit them, and if you don't have seeing them on - you're going to be losing all your vehicles all over SL and then people will be making forum topics about that person cluttering up mainland with crashed vehicles and then... /drama

(OK, not exactly... but yeah... it is super annoying to be tossed 53 sims to the left and 27 to the right because you hit somebody's banlines trying to stop after a sim crossing... but were tossed too fast to know what sim you were on beforehand...)

And I think hiding banlines might be a firestorm thing. Not sure if it's in the official viewer. I don't hide them because doing so makes the vehicle issue that much worse.

4 hours ago, loverdag said:

If its not separate parcel, but skybox-tower, then there is no option how to make neighbours invisible. But speaking about privacy if its not A-sim, then adult activities aren't allowed, because M-sim doens't allow to do so, if its not on private place "behind closed door" and skybox-tower on same parcel does't meet the rule. If its A-sim, then neighbours are aware their activities are partialy "public", its probably why they live on A-sim. So again, I see no reason why someone should leave their home "for walk" to give neighbours privacy ...

I wouldn't be leaving to give the neighbors privacy, I'd be leaving so I wouldn't have to listen to it. Or witness it. No, I'm not a prude. It just isn't my thing. Sure, I could adjust my DD but why should I have to add one more reason to the already myriad of reasons to be constantly adjusting MY DD to accommodate everyone else? I shouldn't have to or need to. But that's on LL and is another discussion.

11 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Sure, I could adjust my DD but why should I have to add one more reason to the already myriad of reasons to be constantly adjusting MY DD to accommodate everyone else? I shouldn't have to or need to. But that's on LL and is another discussion.

DD?

Draw Distance?

Yeah - there are many reasons not to live in a 'tower' of shared units on the same parcel. This is just one of them. Lag, conflicts over who gets the prim or script resources, the music, and so on just add to it.

Of course the script thing is a full on sim issue anytime you live on a sim with other people...

3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Maybe my neighbor doesn't know that I have disabled avatar interaction.

They don't need to know your settings. If they set privacy for their parcel, you can't see them. (Why they should care about settings for your parcel? )

4 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I wouldn't be leaving to give the neighbors privacy, I'd be leaving so I wouldn't have to listen to it. Or witness it. No, I'm not a prude. It just isn't my thing. Sure, I could adjust my DD but why should I have to add one more reason to the already myriad of reasons to be constantly adjusting MY DD to accommodate everyone else? I shouldn't have to or need to.

4 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Yeah - there are many reasons not to live in a 'tower' of shared units on the same parcel. This is just one of them. Lag, conflicts over who gets the prim or script resources, the music, and so on just add to it.

Of course the script thing is a full on sim issue anytime you live on a sim with other people...

I agree and I would not live in the "tower" for all those reasons as well.

By the way can it be privacy settings do not extend to voice? I was listening to couple discussing their sex live in SL earlier today who were in the private parcel next to me... LOL 

Edited by Fionalein

11 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

No, I'm not. I worded the post a little confusing, I'd set up a skybox around 1700 ft to play with it (I took it down after I made the post) I'm in a ground level sim set up like a neighborhood not far from the main road. I'm not trying to set up a dance club or a shop, the place I have on the land is just a bit cramped and difficult to navigate but I've already paid up for a couple weeks. The idea was putting my bedroom in the skybox and staying below my total prim count. I've found another spot on the same sim with the same prim count but just one big square room, so the plan now is to finish out my rental time and then move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

By the way can it be privacy settings do not extend to voice? I was listening to couple discussing their sex live in SL earlier today who were in the private parcel next to me... LOL 

Yeah, there is an option in the Land panel, Sound tab. "Restrict voice to this parcel"

If you don't do that everyone can listen in.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.