Good laptop for SL?

Qnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi and hello 

I currently have a 2014 MacBook Air.  I have to have avatar rendering level (or whatever it is called, sorry, my tech and SL tech knowledge is poor lol) and graphics preferences really low/mild to function on SL, and it is still really noisy.      When ever i am in an event or club it is so so laggy, everything is half the speed and the chat box is slow if it is busy etc. Anyway, i'm sure you get the message

I'm hoping you guys could please either straight-up recommend me a laptop, or give me some advice and list some things to look out for while shopping for one (ie, how much RAM is good.. whatever that is.. i've googled so much but everything is so tech heavy for me LOL) 

My 'needs' are: 

• I do need a laptop, and not a desktop (i'm a student blah blah) preferably not Crazy Heavy in terms of weight but idc if it is kinda heavy
  • My budget is around £1,000 (about 1,300 USD, google says) 
  • SL is the most challenging thing i do for a laptop to manage so i won't list all the other things i do lol
  • my current laptop is 13" so i don't want a sudden change is screen size please!! lol
  • i like to have Spotify or youtube etc open while on SL so a laptop that can handle that + having SL graphics sliders on at least Middle

thanku very much in advance!!  

You could try a refurbished Thinkpad, they were pretty good student machines in the past - install a resources friendly OS (aka Linux) along your main Windows installation and run SL from the Linux install. Maybe someone can tell you wether Thinkpads have enough GPU power for your need. (I just need a terminal on my mobile computers so my needs differ ;) )

Edited by Fionalein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.