Just a question, "inappropriate" reaction to a post

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

How you can't see that you chose to take offense too easily.

(Actually it isn't much of a struggle.)

considering I have history with Luna it wasn't a stretch to think her image was aimed at me. It then wasnt much further a stretch to think Love's follow up was therefore aimed at me as Love himself admitted in his follow ups that he could see why I would take it so. I took so much offence that when he explained it wasn't that I immediately accepted it. Wow that is a whole lot of offence I took.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Got it, like my quote (I got it from a Linden) “attack ideas not people”. Maybe I’m misquoting. But I say that when a certain someone starts using words like “stupid” and “pathetic”. 

I wonder who that certain someone could be 😲

Imo, some people do some things here that merit those words said against them. I actually look down (intellectually) on them. That's absolutely true.

15 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

You gave me the impression that you'd followed the discussion. It's a phrase than Kanry used. To me it means kicking or tripping (fouling) the player instead of kicking the ball - in football (soccer).

Its useage here means ignoring what was said and, instead, focussing the response on the person who said it.

Phil, you and me will fall out if you use the S word again!   

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

considering I have history with Luna it wasn't a stretch to think her image was aimed at me. It then wasnt much further a stretch to think Love's follow up was therefore aimed at me as Love himself admitted in his follow ups that he could see why I would take it so. I took so much offence that when he explained it wasn't that I immediately accepted it. Wow that is a whole lot of offence I took.

You sound offended.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I wonder who that certain someone could be 😲

Imo, some people do some things here that merit those words said against them. I actually look down (intellectually) on them. That's absolutely true.

But, you’re supposed to have “pathos” for those who are “pathetic”. And, to look down upon the “stupid”, invites others to explain the “Dunning-Kruger Effect”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You sound offended.

I am not clear what you are actually complaining about here

Is it that I took exception to being described as mansplaining

or

is it that I assumed it was aimed at me

perhaps before we argue further you could elucidate so we are both clear what we are arguing about here?

24 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

considering I have history with Luna it wasn't a stretch to think her image was aimed at me.

Yes, the image of spreading legs was aimed at you. I frequently think you take up too much space (aren't sensitive enough to the needs of others).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

😲What S word? Stupid?

Lol feel free to use stupid.  Its that word for people who don't understand the beautiful game... 4 hours 37 minutes and counting 

Edited by Cindy Evanier
punctuation

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But, you’re supposed to have “pathos” for those who are “pathetic”. And, to look down upon the “stupid”, invites others to explain the “Dunning-Kruger Effect”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Love, I feel you are penalizing Phil because you generally don't like him. I'm not sure it matters what he did in the past (whether he frequently displays an air of superiority). The fact is, right here, right now, he feels someone is stupid who repeatedly attacks him with a scorn-laugh (and not in a way that denotes a disagreement, but in a way that is meant to belittle a person). I certainly feel anyone who decides someone is an enemy and scorn-laughs them frequently because of that is pretty stupid, yes.

OOoooohhh. LOL. I scoured that short post of mine that you quoted and could only see the word 'said' that starts with an s. And that other word was there all the time.

But in my defense, I only added it for those who call handball football, and would be confused by the post. It's not their fault. I think that, back in the day, some people who emigrated over there thought the things on the end of your arms are feet. There weren't many schools around back then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

OOoooohhh. LOL. I scoured that short post of mine that you quoted and could only see the word 'said' that starts with an s. And that other word was there all the time.

But in my defense, I only added it for those who call handball football, and would be confused by the post. It's not their fault. I think that, back in the day, some people who emigrated over there thought the things on the end of your arms are feet. There weren't many schools around back then.

My favorite quote from NCIS

ZIVA: Why do you insist on calling it football when you don't use your feet? 

TONY: Huh. I hadn't though of that. Well, we kick it sometimes.

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Love, I feel you are penalizing Phil because you generally don't like him. I'm not sure it matters what he did in the past (whether he frequently displays an air of superiority). The fact is, right here, right now, he feels someone is stupid who repeatedly attacks him with a scorn-laugh (and not in a way that denotes a disagreement, but in a way that is meant to belittle a person). I certainly feel anyone who decides someone is an enemy and scorn-laughs them frequently because of that is pretty stupid, yes.

'Stupid' might a bit harsh for them. But maybe not. Anyone with the mentality to do that, rather than risk an actual conversation, does give me that imprssion. I do look down on such people here. Love's Dunning-Kruger post was silly. It was like saying that anyone who thinks themselves intellectaully superior to someone else must therefore be intellectaully inferior, regardless of their intellects. As I said - silly.

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Actually no. My fondness for Phil has returned. I just don’t like his name-calling. We had a long discussion once in which I believe that he admitted “when you start name-calling, you’ve lost”. I don’t disagree that stupid people exist. Calling them that lowers one’s self. I believe more in compassion.

15 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

My favorite quote from NCIS

ZIVA: Why do you insist on calling it football when you don't use your feet? 

TONY: Huh. I hadn't though of that. Well, we kick it sometimes.

LOL. And I do love that programme. It's due back very soon now, I think. I watched a recently reaired full length one last night - with Ziva and Tony in it. I was ok with Ziva leaving, but it's not the same without Abby and Tony - especially Abby.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It was like saying that anyone who thinks themselves intellectaully superior to someone else must therefore be intellectaully inferior, regardless of their intellects.

No..close. Intellectually “inferior” people tend to overestimate their own intelligence.

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Actually no. My fondness for Phil has returned. I just don’t like his name-calling. We had a long discussion once in which I believe that he admitted “when you start name-calling, you’ve lost”. I don’t disagree that stupid people exist. Calling them that lowers one’s self. I believe more in compassion.

Actually, it wasn't me lol.

It was on page 9. I merely agreed ;)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We had a long discussion once in which I believe that he admitted “when you start name-calling, you’ve lost”.

And it's true. Simply because you've run out of arguments against what's being said, and have to resort to name calling and such.

And, yes, the word was soc what you said.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:
10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I believe in compassion too, and that name-calling should be avoided. However I don't judge as harshly those who push back against a perceived assault. I'd prefer, sure, that the person feeling harmed would just walk away and ignore the aggressor, but I have compassion for them too, and know that 'revenge' is a powerful force in human nature that is sometimes hard to contain. 

In other words, sometimes there are mitigating circumstances that need to be considered. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.