Just a question, "inappropriate" reaction to a post

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1937 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't think anyone has said that they're offended by them yet. I find that using the laugh as scorn is idiotic (stupid), and I do have a chip on my shoulder about it, as I've said a number of times in the past. It's an offensive act but I'm not offended by it. I just see it as being done by those very few people who are perhaps a bit short up top to discuss the topic normally, but yet they do want to mak a statement.

Edited by Phil Deakins

I want to be clear about this. I have no problem with there being a specific emoji to show scorn. It's a legitimate response in some cases and who is to say what would be appropriate or not. My biggest problem is the ambiguity in using the laugh emoji now to show both scorn and humor. To say that we shouldn't be able to react negatively to a post is silly and immature IMO.

added:

Definition of scorn 

1: open dislike and disrespect or derision often mixed with indignation

2: an expression of contempt or derision

3: an object of extreme disdain, contempt, or derision : something contemptible

After reading the definition for scorn carefully I think showing scorn goes beyond what I believe is proper in these situations.  I don't think anyone should disrespect another person regardless of agreement. You can disagree and still show respect. It's simple common courtesy. So I amend my response to say I have no problem with having an emoji to show dislike or disagreement. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I just see it as being done by those very few people who are perhaps a bit short up top to discuss the topic normally, but yet they do want to mak a statement.

I think some might be a bit short up top or find it difficult to debate, but for the most part I see them as people who view interactions with others as a war-like endeavor vs a chance for cooperation. Their goal is to 'win' on a forum as opposed to learning anything or helping someone else. In their mind, if they tell someone else they are stupid then by comparison they feel un-stupid or superior, as if they've won. Their identity is stuck in a perpetual state of war.

3 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

considering I have history with Luna it wasn't a stretch to think her image was aimed at me

That is her MO. I have seen her use it time and time again until ultimately people were beyond fed up and she got herself banned from another forum.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

That is her MO. I have seen her use it time and time again until ultimately people were beyond fed up and she got herself banned from another forum.

shrugs I mostly ignore her posts and didnt bother reacting to that one

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:
2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I just see it as being done by those very few people who are perhaps a bit short up top to discuss the topic normally, but yet they do want to mak a statement.

I think some might be a bit short up top or find it difficult to debate, but for the most part I see them as people who view interactions with others as a war-like endeavor vs a chance for cooperation. Their goal is to 'win' on a forum as opposed to learning anything or helping someone else. In their mind, if they tell someone else they are stupid then by comparison they feel un-stupid or superior, as if they've won. Their identity is stuck in a perpetual state of war

“A bit short up top” describes a haircut, right?

896CB5C0-2CBB-4864-AEB4-D7B48B2F293B.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

I want to be clear about this. I have no problem with there being a specific emoji to show scorn. It's a legitimate response in some cases and who is to say what would be appropriate or not. My biggest problem is the ambiguity in using the laugh emoji now to show both scorn and humor. To say that we shouldn't be able to react negatively to a post is silly and immature IMO.

added:

Definition of scorn 

1: open dislike and disrespect or derision often mixed with indignation

2: an expression of contempt or derision

3: an object of extreme disdain, contempt, or derision : something contemptible

After reading the definition for scorn carefully I think showing scorn goes beyond what I believe is proper in these situations.  I don't think anyone should disrespect another person regardless of agreement. You can disagree and still show respect. It's simple common courtesy. So I amend my response to say I have no problem with having an emoji to show dislike or disagreement. 

“Scorn” is not used often in American English. So, not everyone would use that word unless it came up.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

“Scorn” is not used often in American English. So, not everyone would use that word unless it came up.

I'm very American and have used that word since I was a young girl. Perhaps it's a generational thing. You're much younger than I. Well I'm pretty sure you are. :P

3 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Done.

But watch someone ruin it now ☹️

Things happen fast; it's already gone past perfection, but that still means that for one brief shining moment Kali was five for five :-).

ps: I ended with :-) without which, along with its cousin ;-), I probably would not be able to write in this or any other forum.

kali.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

she got herself banned from another forum.

I feel proud to have been banned from that forum (as it existed then), so thanks for reminding me. I feel honored to be banned from a place that allowed flaming, naming & shaming, and general abuse. It seems much better now -- perhaps the minority who enjoyed participating in such things have matured a bit.
So glad to be here on this forum where such incivility is kept in check.

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

So glad to be here on this forum where such incivility is kept in check.

Sometimes it seems more “check and mate”.

I don't know, dear....I just know I've seen things on forums that are not even contained in the DSM-V   ;0

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1937 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.