Just a question, "inappropriate" reaction to a post

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1938 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Some people use the laugh as scorn. The main one has been mentioned in this thread, but other, usually nice, people sometimes use it that way. Imo, it's a despicable practise,

I realize that some people think that laugh reaction should only be used to indicate that we find something funny.  However, in RL, we really can laugh at funny stuff and laugh "at people" for being flat out ridiculous.  I see that as no different than rolling my eyes at someone and if LL gave me that reaction I would probably use it rather than laughing "at someone".  It is not nice, but it is an accurate reflection of what I'm thinking.

Nothing in the Community Guidelines or TOS says we have to be nice all the time.  We just can't be bullies.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

That's something that doesn't happen, so it would be an exception if it ever occured. In fact, it's very rare that a post here merits scorn. So rare that I can't remember ever having seen one.

We are all different and thus interpret posts in different ways.  We all have different levels of tolerance for what we view as whining or being ridiculous or whatever.

Given that, I have seen many posts in these forums that IMO merit scorn - and I have no doubt there are others like you that have seen none or almost none that merit scorn in their opion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can fix it! Here is my, (sort of), politically correct, touchy feely "gaspicon" for those moments when you'd love to throttle someone but need to show some restraint just in case they might become offended by a harsher critique of their inane bluster. *posts gaspicon.... OMG... I just realised its not gender neutral 8-/ Please don't report me! Noooooooooooo! *runs off crying & hides in Sansar 👀 *sniff, blubber, sniff.

122a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

We are all different and thus interpret posts in different ways.  We all have different levels of tolerance for what we view as whining or being ridiculous or whatever.

Given that, I have seen many posts in these forums that IMO merit scorn - and I have no doubt there are others like you that have seen none or almost none that merit scorn in their opion.

Really, when people launch themselves into the forum like some kind of Tasmanian devil of insults, blame, ignorance, and hyper sensitivity, demanding to be taken with utmost seriousness over some minor irritation— I have no problem with them getting a laugh. (Which they are free to interpret as a reaction to something witty they inadvertently said).

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't know you, BilliJo, so I'm in no position to ascribe motives to you, and I don't have any sense of context here. But it seems to me a rather odd question ask.  The very fact that you do ask it suggests that you are aware that this might be over-the-top offensive.

Why would you want to explore your right to respond offensively?

Using a laugh emoticon as a means of showing scorn or disdain is, in my view, intellectually lazy and emotionally charged, as well as frankly narcissistic. It is nearly contentless: far from explaining why one feels a post is ridiculous or wrong, and providing useful and helpful correctives or perspective, it does nothing but register one's derision. And it does so in a way that establishes one's own supposed moral or intellectual "superiority." It's like articulating the rather arrogant assumption that it's somehow beneath the person registering scorn to explain their response.

Honestly, when people do this, it tells me a great deal more about them than it does about the person they are mocking.

Just a suggestion, then: if you are concerned that this will be offensive, why not just avoid doing it, and provide instead some actual guidance to the person with whom you disagree? If you do so in a measured and reasonable way, I can guarantee you that you won't be sanctioned for it.

I asked because I laughed at someones post, then though, whoa, someone might interpret that has an attack and report me, so to be safe,  I removed the laugh and started this thread to find out if there was an "official" position on such things.

I've given up on engaging anyone in here, it's far more safer that way.

• Like 1

I will, or at least I have, used the laugh emote when it's quite likely the person writing the post really wasn't aiming for a laugh. If something makes me laugh*, I use the laugh emote. I do try not to use it on posts where it seems obvious that the person who wrote it was sincerely hurt or upset about something, even if I find the post quite ridiculous. I would try not to laugh in that instance in RL too, just as most of us would.

I am resisting the charge that my laughing at (rather than with) a post is scornful, although I have to admit that is maybe a valid definition. One of the times that comes to mind was the OP for that thread about pickup lines. The fellow that started it led off with his standard 'come-on', and it was so breathtakingly vainglorious that I could not help laughing. I don't think anyone else used 'laugh' on that post and I did wonder if I'd gone too far, but nothing came of it. He actually turned out to be a pretty solid guy and took all the slings and arrows that resulted from that OP honestly; I even wound up complimenting him somewhat later in the thread (although even then I couldn't resist giving him the needle a little about that pickup line).

*By laughing I don't mean actually laughing out loud (although that does happen—it did with the OP I discussed here.). If when reading I find something that makes my mouth form a smile and I sort of do a subvocal chuckle, I consider that laughing.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I asked because I laughed at someones post, then though, whoa, someone might interpret that has an attack and report me, so to be safe,  I removed the laugh and started this thread to find out if there was an "official" position on such things.

I've given up on engaging anyone in here, it's far more safer that way.

🤨

They would need a mod dedicated to monitoring your use of the Laugh button.

4 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

🤨

They would need a mod dedicated to monitoring your use of the Laugh button.

Not really, it would just be added to the pile of reports some people in here are all too willing to file on people they don't like.

That reminds me, the post I laughed at contained adult content, I think I'll go report it instead.

😀

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
spelling
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

I do try not to use it on posts where it seems obvious that the person who wrote it was sincerely hurt or upset about something, even if I find the post quite ridiculous. I would try not to laugh in that instance in RL too, just as most of us would.

No, because we read too often about people pulling out their guns and shooting people for less. 

The forums and SL might be the only places they get unvarnished  feedback for their self entitled rants, and for some it can come as quite a shock. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Very true, but my question really is would an inappropriate reaction be a violation of the forum rules?

Flatly, no.

But in a greater context, like someone persistently targeting another person with malicious intent? Yes.

But how easy that is to prove and how much is "too much" is very much up to the individual moderators' discretion.

27 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:
1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I am unfortunately not astonished that we could have written three pages of discussion of what is basically a complete non-issue.

This. Over and over until the end of time.

The forums seemed pretty quite today, IMO.  I was willing to read and comment on just about anything.

With a bit more work, we can get this to page 4.

:SwingingFriends:

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I don't understand why people feel such a need to put others down with derision. I can read psychological theories on it, but I don't really understand it.

For those of you who show scorn on the internet, do you think you'll change others' minds or are there other reasons? What do you get out of it? Do you do so in person as well?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

I don't understand why people feel such a need to put others down with derision. I can read psychological theories on it, but I don't really understand it.

For those of you who show scorn on the internet, do you think you'll change others' minds or are there other reasons? What do you get out of it? Do you do so in person as well?

Because frankly when someone comes out with stupid idea's if you humour them in the least they will just keep coming back with more of the same. It is better by far to bring that to a halt from the outset. Any hint of kindness or taking it in the least seriously will be treated as an affirmation of the idea and before you know it we have people deciding pi is equal to 4 to make the calculations easier or making declarations that the rules of their country overrule the rules of mathematics. Both the sets of people only grew up to be able to do so because people were kind when they had stupid idea's as children rather than withering and smiting them with a righteous scorning

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Because frankly when someone comes out with stupid idea's if you humour them in the least they will just keep coming back with more of the same. It is better by far to bring that to a halt from the outset. Any hint of kindness or taking it in the least seriously will be treated as an affirmation of the idea and before you know it we have people deciding pi is equal to 4 to make the calculations easier or making declarations that the rules of their country overrule the rules of mathematics. Both the sets of people only grew up to be able to do so because people were kind when they had stupid idea's as children rather than withering and smiting them with a righteous scorning

Stupid ideas like "apostrophes are used for plurals"?

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1938 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.