So Second Life ate my display name

Zion Ravenhurst

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1937 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 minutes ago, LollipopBloodclot said:

Does anyone else have this problem?
Does it happen often, and for any kind of reason?
I absolutely despise my account name, and I'm stuck with it being my only name for a bloody week. 

Did you use fancy font?  Viewers don't like that and seem to revert it back to your user name. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, LollipopBloodclot said:

I'm stuck with it being my only name for a bloody week. 

not needed, if you own a group you can make a group rank with the desired name (NOT in the same refused font!) as long you have that group title active you'll be seen with a "normal"name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LollipopBloodclot said:

Does anyone else have this problem?
Does it happen often, and for any kind of reason?
I absolutely despise my account name, and I'm stuck with it being my only name for a bloody week. 

Stay away for odd fonts and you won't have the issue in the future.  Stick to fonts that people can easily read and write.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moirakathleen said:

Sometimes you get lucky and it will work, other times something about the font or one of the fancy characters just doesn't agree with the viewer.

And sometimes it will stick and look fine to some people, but look like nothing but a bunch of blocks to others. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

not needed, if you own a group you can make a group rank with the desired name (NOT in the same refused font!) as long you have that group title active you'll be seen with a "normal"name.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Stay away for odd fonts and you won't have the issue in the future.  Stick to fonts that people can easily read and write.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And sometimes it will stick and look fine to some people, but look like nothing but a bunch of blocks to others. 

3 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

I was also thinking it might be a fancy font issue - that's what it seems we see as the most common cause of the display name disappearing.  Sometimes you get lucky and it will work, other times something about the font or one of the fancy characters just doesn't agree with the viewer.

3 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Did you use fancy font?  Viewers don't like that and seem to revert it back to your user name. 

Thanks for your input, everyone! I use a font from mess letters, but it's almost indistinguishable from the normal font. And thank you to the person who suggested using a group title instead, I didn't think about that.

1 hour ago, LollipopBloodclot said:

And thank you to the person who suggested using a group title instead, I didn't think about that.

Just remember that like Display Names, not everyone has their viewer set to see Group Titles.  My guess would be that less people show group titles than Display Names overall.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1937 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.